Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

KristineKJ wrote: »

I'm surprised it's not better payed. In Norway they'd be striking/protesting then and then the state would have to negociate because healt care system would fail if doctors refused to work. Such striking is allowed every second year, and last year it was the school system and teachers that striked until they got better wages.

Anyhow, I heard all the protests and complaints about the IMO on radio and the conditions are seriously dangerous. I had no idea it was this bad in Ireland. Are there similarities in the UK?

In ways, starting pay for junior doctors in the NHS in the UK has went down in recent years, and they no longer provide doctors with accommodation near hospitals they have to pay for it themselves now.

Having said that they work fully compliant working time directive rosters, so 48 hours, while that in many ways also means a pay cut as they no longer get over time pay.

By all accounts the IMO just looks after the current consultants, like they agreed not to cut present consultants pay and in return future consultants (today's junior doctors) will have their pay cut by 40%! No Irish doctor stays around after their junior doctor years any more they all head to greener grass in the UK and Australia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

0mega wrote: »

Two 98th percentiles? That's unreal, particularly your S3 one!

Any tips on how you do so well in that sec?
    How are you balancing your study between mocks and hpat ?that is if u are doing the lc

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

Can anyone offer some help with Section 3? Can't afford med***** and I feel like I'm gonna do awfully in Section 3 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

amicus wrote: »
    How are you balancing your study between mocks and hpat ?that is if u are doing the lc

I'm managing alright I think though I probably could be doing with more of both.

I do a section of an exam every second night (going through the solutions for about an hour in between) and then the rest of the night is just homework/studying for mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

That is a good way of splitting things 0mega! I am fairly set on Sec1 and Sec2 but Sec 3 I do at least one problem a night as that is the section I hate most!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

That is a good way of splitting things 0mega! I am fairly set on Sec1 and Sec2 but Sec 3 I do at least one problem a night as that is the section I hate most!!

I'm shocking at section 1. Any tips on how you improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ugh I almost wish the HPAT could be over with earlier in the year, it's horrible feeling torn between it and mocks. I know mocks count for absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things but it'd still be good for one's morale to do well in them, and studying for them can't hurt for June. Ugh I think I might focus on the LC for the next two weeks, and just leave the HPAT for a couple of hours at the weekend, and then focus on it once mid-term begins (though I really need to stop pretending orals don't exist too, ugh) so I'd hopefully have three good weeks of prep done. Is this a terrible idea? :p Like I'm probably not in the best state of mind atm as I'm quite sick and not looking forward to fulfilling my New Year's Resolution of an exam every Saturday. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    I'm shocking at section 1. Any tips on how you improved?

That implies I am improving :rolleyes: which I sometimes question!!

Honestly, it is just doing as many of them as you can, identify the main types of questions asked and work hard at being able to identify what type or types of technique you need to answer, that is half the battle!

For section 3, does anyone else have real trouble trying to spot a pattern that isn't one clockwise movement or the 1,2,3,4 rule.

Anything that's like 2 clockwise, 1 anticlockwise or 2 clockwise, doesn't move, 2 clockwise.. not a chance. :(

As for those questions with the 4 blocks that move... ridiculously difficult.

some of those 4 block ones on exam 5 were stupid . i got 1 of them right out of like 3 or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I had a dream last night that I got 91st for section 2 (my scores dropped drastically) and I was so happy. I just realised it wasn't a dream :(

I also had another Hpat dream last night.. Freaky stuff!

HPAT's becoming a real chore now with the mocks so close. I've been putting off the S3 exam I've to do all day..

Anyone else doing much? 5 weeks to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Today was the first time I've done any in about two weeks. Seriously slacked off. Hoping to get back into it properly now.

HPAT's becoming a real chore now with the mocks so close. I've been putting off the S3 exam I've to do all day..

Anyone else doing much? 5 weeks to go.
    mocks takes up so much time.i end up doin hpat at like 9 and thats kinda late

Yeah I'm not doing much these days. I usually try to do a whole exam together but just did a S3 last night (improvement I think, woop), a S2 today (pretty constant in relation to my last few scores so all good :)), and I find 1 to be the most draining so I'll probably put it off indefinitely. This might not sound too bad but it's the only thing I've done in quite some time. Five weeks does sound a bit scary but I just want it to be over...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanga1

Does anyone know how many people did the HPAT last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

TOTALLY freaking out over the HPAT!!!!
    i just cannot seem to improve in pick the middle or section 1!
    ugh, i won't be happy with anything but medicine, nor will i take anything other than medicine.
    is it really this hard? i did the hpat practice test 1 today and in the section 1 i got 26/44 and when i put this in on meden*** i only got the 0-20 percentile! totally devastated!

TOTALLY freaking out over the HPAT!!!!
    i just cannot seem to improve in pick the middle or section 1!
    ugh, i won't be happy with anything but medicine, nor will i take anything other than medicine.
    is it really this hard? i did the hpat practice test 1 today and in the section 1 i got 26/44 and when i put this in on meden*** i only got the 0-20 percentile! totally devastated!
    I put mine in too but on ******** they had more questions in each section than the actual sample so I don't really know how I did.

Finally did that S3 exam I've been putting off, 74th percentile - I found myself really struggling and ended up with a pretty poor score, so looks like everyone found this one tough.
    Tanga1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many people did the HPAT last year?

4,000 I think.

Finally did that S3 exam I've been putting off, 74th percentile - I found myself really struggling and ended up with a pretty poor score, so looks like everyone found this one tough.

4,000 I think.
    Which exam was that? Also I was wondering what percentage correct you needed to get 98th in S1?

• Advertisement

Which exam was that? Also I was wondering what percentage correct you needed to get 98th in S1?

It was exam 5 and I got 80% in that S1 one.

I got 36/48 and ended up with 98 on that one (Exam 5), I'm down at 97 now though so I imagine 0mega got 37 or 38 or something. But I'm just writing this to say that it's completely relative, in Exam 9 I got 37/48 and 63rd percentile. :pac:

It was exam 5 and I got 80% in that S1 one.
    I can't remember whether I've done exam 5 or not. Will do a section 1 tomorrow anyway. That's good to know that you don't have to have almost all of them right to get a good percentile. Thanks!

I can't remember whether I've done exam 5 or not. Will do a section 1 tomorrow anyway. That's good to know that you don't have to have almost all of them right to get a good percentile. Thanks!

Yeah, for S3 especially I'd say 75% of the correct answers gets you in around 100th.

Yeah, for S3 especially I'd say 75% of the correct answers gets you in around 100th.

yep you're right 100th percentile was 33 right out of 42

it was quite a toughy aight ;)

I put mine in too but on ******** they had more questions in each section than the actual sample so I don't really know how I did.

yeah well there are two places you can enter it; 1. go to check progress and click into the acer thing which gives extra questions than there axtually is.
    but 2. go to acer practice solutions....in the drop down list and i think there it has the proper no. of questions :)
    excuse my lack of punctuation or clarity of purpose, coherence etc. im extremely tired :P

guys,for my section 1 in exam 5, i got 24/48which gave me a percentile of 0-20! is this right?? every exam i do, i get that percentile! is there something wrong with my *edentr* thingor am i really that bad? like once i got 30 something and yet again,0-20!

guys,for my section 1 in exam 5, i got 24/48which gave me a percentile of 0-20! is this right?? every exam i do, i get that percentile! is there something wrong with my *edentr* thingor am i really that bad? like once i got 30 something and yet again,0-20!
    the standard deviation is so small.like if u got 1 or 2 more ud b up to 50 or sumtin

• Advertisement

Getting 30-something and getting 0-20 sounds very odd, which exam was it and I'll cross-reference mine to see. Though if it's in Section 2 that you got it, it mightn't be that odd, the differences between one or two scores in that section and percentiles is crazy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement