Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Slow Show wrote: »
    Getting 30-something and getting 0-20 sounds very odd, which exam was it and I'll cross-reference mine to see. Though if it's in Section 2 that you got it, it mightn't be that odd, the differences between one or two scores in that section and percentiles is crazy!
    yeah the most surprising ones are all section 2! em so that explains it but even for the others, like eg 29/48 in sec 1 exam 4 got 0-20! it just seems ridiculous! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

amicus wrote: »
    the standard deviation is so small.like if u got 1 or 2 more ud b up to 50 or sumtin
    yeah it seems that way! ah well i best not dwell on it too much!
    goodnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

amicus wrote: »
    the standard deviation is so small.like if u got 1 or 2 more ud b up to 50 or sumtin

Please leave out the textspeak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Please leave out the textspeak!
    Sorry.Force of habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I hope the standard deviation won't be so small for Section 2 in the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Oh, I just hope all my documents are okay too. I saw too late that I'm supposed to take a language test to show that my english is good enough. But I do have an exam grade in english on my leaving certificate so I hope that's enough.

Will do the 2nd test exam from acer today, and I'm afraid cause it's the last of my practice material. Does anyone know if you can purchase any practice tests online without it being a course? I've already done all the samle questions that umat and ME have out too...

Holy f***** s***. Sat down to do test exam 2 and guess what, I have a major time problem in S1. I mean, how are you supposed to read all that info and draw a conclusion in a minute and half for each question? I got to question 26 when time was up....and even then it felt like I was hurrying through them....god, Help me.

KristineKJ wrote: »
    Holy f***** s***. Sat down to do test exam 2 and guess what, I have a major time problem in S1. I mean, how are you supposed to read all that info and draw a conclusion in a minute and half for each question? I got to question 26 when time was up....and even then it felt like I was hurrying through them....god, Help me.

This is probably where having English as a first language gives you an advantage. :(

I can't imagine trying to do the HPAT in Irish or something..

0mega wrote: »
    This is probably where having English as a first language gives you an advantage. :(

I can't imagine trying to do the HPAT in Irish or something..

That's what I'm thinking too. I do have to reread some paragraphs to catch all the information, and I have a problem where I get hung up on foreign words...BUT, as I sat down to do the last half and timing that one, I did find it possible within the 25 minutes I gave myself. So, I guess it's partly about time awareness as I consider myself quite solid in english. Mehh...wish I had more S1 practice material.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

I have heard a few people who don't have English as their first language say they find it easier to read the questions first and then they can focus their reading of the text accordingly, might be worth a try?

• Advertisement

I have heard a few people who don't have English as their first language say they find it easier to read the questions first and then they can focus their reading of the text accordingly, might be worth a try?

Not a bad idea. I'll try that. Sometimes the amount of information becomes unclear before the question clears it again. I do habit to read the information two or three times before I read the question, might be a time killer right there. Thanks :-)

How did people get on in exam 6? Starting it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

How did people get on in exam 6?

I did alright in S3 but pretty horrendously in the other two :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

I did alright in S3 but pretty horrendously in the other two :pac:

Ah together we'd be perfect, I do ok in section 1, usually near full marks on section 2 but section 3 is just atrocious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sir Cuggsalot

Hey! I know it's late but if anyone wants to join me in group for med'''entry on 16/17, send me a private message.

Ah together we'd be perfect, I do ok in section 1, usually near full marks on section 2 but section 3 is just atrocious!!

I'm normally the opposite. I've always scored well in S1, but 2 and 3 are pretty dreadful. That being said, I think recently my S3 has improved a bit. I just seem to have gotten worse at S2 though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

I'm normally the opposite. I've always scored well in S1, but 2 and 3 are pretty dreadful. That being said, I think recently my S3 has improved a bit. I just seem to have gotten worse at S2 though :p

I know you said in a previous post that you got 181 in the Hpat last year what percentile was that ?

I know you said in a previous post that you got 181 in the Hpat last year what percentile was that ?

Think it was 83rd.

Crazy that 181 isn't enough to get you in anymore, I was told at a HPAT seminar last year to aim for 185 but I guess you're looking at least 190 now...

Think it was 83rd.

Wow !! That's deadly !! Just trting to figure the percentiles from the graph. If you got that in 2009 you would have been 93th or something so on average the percentile for a certain score is decreasing by 3 and a third each year which doesn't sound like much but is actally shocking !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

KristineKJ wrote: »

Not a bad idea. I'll try that. Sometimes the amount of information becomes unclear before the question clears it again. I do habit to read the information two or three times before I read the question, might be a time killer right there. Thanks :-)

As someone who sat the Hpat last year, I wouldn't recommend reading the questions first, as you tend to miss some of the points of the paragraph by just looking for obvious answers to the questions. That's only my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Well if you add 181 to 565 it's 746, the way things are going points will probably rise another bit (not as dramatic as last year hopefully), and that'd get you into (I estimate, but it's unsupported!) everywhere outside of TCD/UCD and you'd still have a shot at them I'd say. Although 565 is very idealistic. :p I'd be overjoyed to get 180 initially but you'd be on absolute tenterhooks from June until August.

Slow Show wrote: »
    Well if you add 181 to 565 it's 746, the way things are going points will probably rise another bit (not as dramatic as last year hopefully), and that'd get you into (I estimate, but it's unsupported!) everywhere outside of TCD/UCD and you'd still have a shot at them I'd say. Although 565 is very idealistic. :p I'd be overjoyed to get 180 initially but you'd be on absolute tenterhooks from June until August.

Well I think we can attribute last years increase to the extra 25 points for maths which I personally think the vast majority of students going for medicine had so that counts for approx 5 points and the other 5 was just plain and simple people getting better Hpat . . .

Wow !! That's deadly !! Just trting to figure the percentiles from the graph. If you got that in 2009 you would have been 93th or something so on average the percentile for a certain score is decreasing by 3 and a third each year which doesn't sound like much but is actally shocking !!!
    Crazy that 181 isn't enough to get you in anymore, I was told at a HPAT seminar last year to aim for 185 but I guess you're looking at least 190 now...

Yeah sure look at the 2009 cao points.

RCSI 715
    TCD 723
    UCD 719
    NUIG 712
    UCC 715

Crazy stuff.

In exam 7 q17 with the drugs and ever tried and ever used question can someone explain why you divide by 2 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Surely though the actual points themselves make almost no diffence, isn't just about your standing relative to everyone else, so if you got 80th percentile in 2009 and maintained it today it shouldn't make a massive difference as today you'd get a lot more points for 80th percentile!

Oh I know, it's just that others were just comparing where a score of 180 would have placed you in the percentiles 3 years ago compared to now.

Done pretty poorly in Exam 6, Section 2.

I really hate it when you have time left at the end, go back and check flagged questions and change from answers that were right to ones that are wrong. I would've got another 3 right had I just left it!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

I know precisely how you feel... I would've scored in the 97th percentile in PEx4 had I just gone with my gut and clicked the first answer that popped into my head. DANGIT.

And S3 is making me feel absolutely desperate. Pick the middle is... -.-'

• Advertisement

Done pretty poorly in Exam 6, Section 2.

I really hate it when you have time left at the end, go back and check flagged questions and change from answers that were right to ones that are wrong. I would've got another 3 right had I just left it!

Now THAT happens to me like all the time, in any kind of test. I've stopped doing that. And if I go back to a question that I haven't answered for some reason, I always go with my first suggestion, unless it's something that I've clearly calculated wrong (which is unlikely in the hpat).

My most dreaded concern at the moment, is the fact that I just realized that from all the tests I've ever had, those with multiple choice (like the hpat) were my poorest one, whatever the subject was... -.-

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement