Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Heartbreaking :p Which exam?

Exam 6, it was particularly difficult I found but I did make some stupid mistakes. Doing one at this time after a day of study probably wasn't the best idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

0mega wrote: »
    Exam 6, it was particularly difficult I found but I did make some stupid mistakes. Doing one at this time after a day of study probably wasn't the best idea.

when are your mocks? like theryl b no hpat study done that week.what are you doin hpat wise during your mocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah never helps me.

Just checked, I did pretty averagely in that one. Wah.

I've saved a few exams for the last couple of weeks. Really hope my percentiles improve....

amicus wrote: »
    when are your mocks? like theryl b no hpat study done that week.what are you doin hpat wise during your mocks?

They start next week. I'm still just doing one exam a week. I'll try get two done during the week of midterm. After that I'd say I'll scrap section 1 and 2 and just concentrate on section 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ah god my S1 score has been worsening. I did one today and did pretty meh, not dishearteningly bad but not what you want either. I think if I'd had a bit more focus I would've done a lot better though, just doing them for the sake of getting them done really is a fruitless effort, think I'll just take the next week off for the mocks and crack on in mid-term. Can't wait for it to be over. :)

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    Ah god my S1 score has been worsening. I did one today and did pretty meh, not dishearteningly bad but not what you want either. I think if I'd had a bit more focus I would've done a lot better though, just doing them for the sake of getting them done really is a fruitless effort, think I'll just take the next week off for the mocks and crack on in mid-term. Can't wait for it to be over. :)

ive got my mocks over midterm..so i dont know if i should just study for mocks next week and then after mideterm ill have 2 weeks to do the rest and just study hpat .i know you dont care but what do you think ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I did exam 6 S1 yesterday and was so happy, got in the 80s :D I have improved each time so hopefully I'll improve even more.
    I have my mocks at the moment but I've realised I'm going to do pretty badly so I'll try do 1 or 2 sections this week on a half day/day off. Then I'll do maybe 3 during mid term and 1 each week.
    Scary to think it's less than a month away, nearly had a panic attack when I saw 0mega's post :P

Here, has anyone tried putting the ACER booklet's answers that you got into ME for the solutions? I think it's all messed up? I found it easy, yet it says I only got 12 right and a lot of the solutions don't even match up to the question that I presumed it was corresponding to.. really confused.

I did exam 6 S1 yesterday and was so happy, got in the 80s :D I have improved each time so hopefully I'll improve even more.
    I have my mocks at the moment but I've realised I'm going to do pretty badly so I'll try do 1 or 2 sections this week on a half day/day off. Then I'll do maybe 3 during mid term and 1 each week.
    Scary to think it's less than a month away, nearly had a panic attack when I saw 0mega's post :P

I've improved so much on Section 1, it's easily my best section now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Here, has anyone tried putting the ACER booklet's answers that you got into ME for the solutions? I think it's all messed up? I found it easy, yet it says I only got 12 right and a lot of the solutions don't even match up to the question that I presumed it was corresponding to.. really confused.
    Yeh I did. At first it had too many questions as I put it into the solutions on the check progress page. You need to put them into the solutions page in the drop down menu.
    For the first one, I think S1 and 2 may have corresponded but I think S3 didn't. I haven't put in the other solutions yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I remember somebody a bit back asking how many people apply to medicine each year, I found definitive numbers here from the CAO, those numbers include those who apply as a graduate through GAMSAT also.

I remember somebody a bit back asking how many people apply to medicine each year, I found definitive numbers here from the CAO, those numbers include those who apply as a graduate through GAMSAT also.

14 thousand but only 3 thousand first preference..so 14 thousand sitting hpat or am i reading it wrong?

I think it's 14,000 as in 5 of those are me, because I have medicine down in all 5 schools on my cao etc.

Are this years figures out yet?

I think it's 14,000 as in 5 of those are me, because I have medicine down in all 5 schools on my cao etc.

Are this years figures out yet?

oh rite so it is around 3 thousand then

14 thousand but only 3 thousand first preference..so 14 thousand sitting hpat or am i reading it wrong?

Well it's not quite clear in that one where it says "total" and the other column is "1st preferences" but I was looking back at some of the older ones and in 2000 the "total" column said "Total mentions" so that would mean that if you applied to all 5 medical schools that would count as 5 different applications, so I think the first preference one is probably the most accurate and the best one to look at because if you're going for Medicine at all you most likely have it down first, also you could take away a few hundred from that itself because that also included GAMSAT people who don't sit the HPAT, so there's actually less people sitting the HPAT than we think!

Well it's not quite clear in that one where it says "total" and the other column is "1st preferences" but I was looking back at some of the older ones and in 2000 the "total" column said "Total mentions" so that would mean that if you applied to all 5 medical schools that would count as 5 different applications, so I think the first preference one is probably the most accurate and the best one to look at because if you're going for Medicine at all you most likely have it down first, also you could take away a few hundred from that itself because that also included GAMSAT people who don't sit the HPAT, so there's actually less people sitting the HPAT than we think!

yay .good news ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LC2013A

Hey I registered for the HPAT a few months ago but i still haven't received the ACER HPAT practice booklet!?

When do they send them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

You won't receive a hard copy of the booklet, they send you a code which you use online to access the booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Are you able ie is it legal to print off the practice ebooks? These last few online exams have given me serious headaches, can't hack it.

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Are you able ie is it legal to print off the practice ebooks? These last few online exams have given me serious headaches, can't hack it.

Yeah you're allowed print them off just there'll be a watermark on it with your email address so obviously if you start sharing it about the place with other people and this gets back to ACER they know who to look for!

• Advertisement

yay .good news ha

Is that good news? We estimated that around 700-800 people are doing ME based on the attendance at the courses. If there's only 3,000 people sitting the HPAT, then it's going to make higher scores, lower percentiles due to the amount of people who will have been practicing a lot.

Is that good news? We estimated that around 700-800 people are doing ME based on the attendance at the courses. If there's only 3,000 people sitting the HPAT, then it's going to make higher scores, lower percentiles due to the amount of people who will have been practicing a lot.

ye but most of the people i know arent using ******** a lot and realistically how man out of 3000 will get in the high 500s or 600s .i also know a lot of people that just cant improve no matter what.they can study for leaving cert but when it comes to hpat they dont have the brain for it..anyways it was more of a yipee for me as i thought there would be 6000 7000 sitting the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

what is everybody averaging in their ME percentiles. I've done eight exams so far and am averaging out at approximately 80. How does that compare with everybody else ?

what is everybody averaging in their ME percentiles. I've done eight exams so far and am averaging out at approximately 80. How does that compare with everybody else ?

I'd say that's way above the average. My best average was 86, my most recent though was 61 (probably my lowest ever). So between 61-86. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Just done a 2 day revision course in Ashfield, twas alright.

have you scored consistently well or any bad ones? my best would of been about 86 or 90 but i havent done well all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭En

ye but most of the people i know arent using ******** a lot and realistically how man out of 3000 will get in the high 500s or 600s .i also know a lot of people that just cant improve no matter what.they can study for leaving cert but when it comes to hpat they dont have the brain for it..anyways it was more of a yipee for me as i thought there would be 6000 7000 sitting the exam

lol?
    55,815 took the LC in 2012, with 4,699 of them getting 500 points or higher. A majority of the people who are doing the HPAT this year are repeats who already had the points have swatted off for the past year for this "aptitude" test. Your competition is prepared despite whatever level of intelligence they may possess.

You don't NEED "the brain for it", although it helps. It's proven that practice improves HPAT scores tremendously - the same people that "can study for the leaving cert" can study equally for the HPAT. It's an exam where both work and intelligence are proportional to your result ; ridiculous amounts of work and little intelligence will land you a place, while high intelligence and little work will also snag you a spot.

That said, students shouldn't have to juggle the HPAT alongside the LC if there are as many repeats as people are saying there are. The reason they introduced it as an exam you took during your LC was because they thought it was an aptitude test and it would separate the hyperswats with study-able subjects from the genuinely clever people. As a general rule, you're not supposed to be overly prepared for any sort of aptitude test (as is the case with the HPAT today)
    It means LCERs are competing with people who have a year of experience and practice on them; something which having a high aptitude can only only partially replace.

It's sort of a per-requisite now that you have to be somewhat clever and hard working to get medicine on the first try now - which I suspect was the desired effect although it has been achieved unintentionally.

tl;dr 500+pts is easy and you dont need excessive amounts of brain to do well in hpat, just a lot of time/work
    also fk repeaters taking the easy way out go back to spocking off you second grade noobs:D

just kiddin

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

You won't receive a hard copy of the booklet, they send you a code which you use online to access the booklet.

When/how do you receive this code? I've received nothing so far -__-

Just done a 2 day revision course in Ashfield, twas alright.

They provide much material?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

also fk repeaters taking the easy way out go back to spocking off you second grade noobs:D

"Haha jk... except I mean it otherwise I wouldn't have pointlessly stated it."
    500+pts is easy

Well if it were so easy then why don't more than 8.4% of candidates get it? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement