Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well if it were so easy then why don't more than 8.4% of candidates get it? ;)

Maybe they don't want it?
    People have different priorities. For some it's getting over 500 points, for some it's getting into a course they want, for some it's getting out of school.
    For some it's smoking 60 cigarettes a day regardless of what a doctor tells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Good point. But I'm currently repeating and after getting 500 last year I know it takes a hell of a lot of work and is far from "easy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I would say getting 500 can be pretty easy depending on your subject choice. Those stats don't really mean anything anyway, I can't find them now but isn't it something like 11% get less than 100 on that sheet? It's obviously not like everybody who has to do the leaving cert is aiming for 500+.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Oh my God I'm actually getting worse at this HPAT craic. I think I would've stood a better chance if the test was in October at this stage.

amicus wrote: »
    ive got my mocks over midterm..so i dont know if i should just study for mocks next week and then after mideterm ill have 2 weeks to do the rest and just study hpat .i know you dont care but what do you think ha?

Hey sorry it's taken so long to answer this, tbh I actually have been trying to do some prep but I'm absolutely shattered everyday which is rendering the whole exercise to be rather futile. It's entirely up to yourself, I know my mocks are early enough not to get too stressed about the HPAT at the same time, so it's easier for me to make the decision to take a break. It's worth taking into account your own improvement too, I mean I genuinely don't think I can improve anymore, it's all about just keeping myself familiar and making sure I don't regret not doing anything if you get me. Ah god sorry this is so pointless, look do what you think is best, either way I doubt it will make much of an impact at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭En

"Haha jk... except I mean it otherwise I wouldn't have pointlessly stated it."
    Well if it were so easy then why don't more than 8.4% of candidates get it?

I 100% meant it. Really

8.4 percent of 55815 is 4688~

4688 was greater than the 3000~ that amicus stated were taking the HPAT exam.

The point I was trying to make was that people who take the HPAT generally WANT to score (and likely do so) in this point range in the first place.

So yes, it's easy. Easy for everyone who seriously wants to do medicine and is realistic about judging themselves. 505 is 5 B1s (including maths). That means statistically speaking if you lose 1 mark for every 5 potential mark, you still get 500+. That means you can get 20% of an entire paper wrong and still make 500+ happen.

Back to HPAT though, what's everyone's opinion on the talk of restricting the exam so that you can only take it once? (Professor Bill Powderly proposed this way back in September ) I personally agree with it as long as you can take it whenever you want OR you have to take it during LC year. Both are fine in my eyes. It sure solves the problem of the competition becoming increasingly stacked against first timers. It also solves the problem of people dropping out of pharma/science after getting the HPAT score they needed and leaving empty spaces that could have been filled the year previously in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

amicus wrote: »
    have you scored consistently well or any bad ones? my best would of been about 86 or 90 but i havent done well all the time

Got 100 in Sec 1 and Sec 3 on seperate exams and these sections seem pretty consistent. My worst by far is Section 2. . . i hate the way it fluctuates. one exam I got between 0-20 and on the next I got 95 so . . .

I'm not worried that my percentiles are going down as I come to the end of the practise exams as long as my raw scores are pretty consistent. Less people get past exam 8 and those who do obviously have more practise done and ergo are likely to be better . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Im keeping 4 practice exams till the last 2 weeks.mocks all next week (yes midterm but hey its the institute)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Got 100 in Sec 1 and Sec 3 on seperate exams and these sections seem pretty consistent. My worst by far is Section 2. . . i hate the way it fluctuates. one exam I got between 0-20 and on the next I got 95 so . . .

I'm not worried that my percentiles are going down as I come to the end of the practise exams as long as my raw scores are pretty consistent. Less people get past exam 8 and those who do obviously have more practise done and ergo are likely to be better . . .
    Did you do any courses last year or much hpat study if you don't mind me asking? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

They provide much material?

Yeah a little, it was free so I just did it for the crack. I'm in 5th year though so didn't really care too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 RossMcGauley

I'm taking the HPAT for the first time this year. I got the 1st practice test for registering and payed for the second. I took the first and I would've gotten 210/300.
    How does this compare to people's average scores on the HPAT? (I have no idea how they represent your scores when they release the results.)
    I'm not really doing well enough for 550+ at the moment (I'll start studying tomorrow, I promise!), too.
    Thoughts?

I'm taking the HPAT for the first time this year. I got the 1st practice test for registering and payed for the second. I took the first and I would've gotten 210/300.
    How does this compare to people's average scores on the HPAT? (I have no idea how they represent your scores when they release the results.)
    I'm not really doing well enough for 550+ at the moment (I'll start studying tomorrow, I promise!), too.
    Thoughts?

How did you figure out that you got 210/300. The ACER are very secretive in terms of marking but what we do know is that each question is weighted according to the level of difficulty and the amount of people who get it right. There is also supposed to be negative marking in some questions. . . I presume what you did is added up all the questions you got right for the three sections got a percentage and multiplied by 300. If only:(

However if you got 210 on the day of your exam it would be an amazing result and last year you would only have needed 530 to get into NUIG medicine with it . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RossMcGauley

How did you figure out that you got 210/300. The ACER are very secretive in terms of marking but what we do know is that each question is weighted according to the level of difficulty and the amount of people who get it right. There is also supposed to be negative marking in some questions. . . I presume what you did is added up all the questions you got right for the three sections got a percentage and multiplied by 300. If only:(

However if you got 210 on the day of your exam it would be an amazing result and last year you would only have needed 530 to get into NUIG medicine with it . . .

Oh, damn :( Yeah I got a percentage and multiplied it by 3... I had no idea it worked that way! :confused: Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

I got no email of confirmation or anything after registering for the HPAT :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

SDCards wrote: »
    I got no email of confirmation or anything after registering for the HPAT :/
    I got 1 or 2 from Acer. Are you sure you didn't get any? It just had your details. In one of the emails there is a code for you to access the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

I did the Exam 7 on ME last Saturday :rolleyes: S1: 89 S2: 97 S3: 70 :)

I like how my score's improving! Especially in Section 3 :) I was getting 0-20 in the first two tests!! :eek:

How did everyone get on in the Trial Exam during the Seminar? My average percentile was in the mid 70s but my predicted percentile was MUCH higher... (95-100?? Don't know how this is possible... :confused::confused:) This makes little sense to me... :confused: Is it normal for them to over-estimate your abilities?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

pokkyoc wrote: »
    I did the Exam 7 on ME last Saturday :rolleyes: S1: 89 S2: 97 S3: 70 :)

I like how my score's improving! Especially in Section 3 :) I was getting 0-20 in the first two tests!! :eek:

How did everyone get on in the Trial Exam during the Seminar? My average percentile was in the mid 70s but my predicted percentile was MUCH higher... (95-100?? Don't know how this is possible... :confused::confused:) This makes little sense to me... :confused: Is it normal for them to over-estimate your abilities?? :pac:

Yeah mine was the same, they just assume you'll do much better in the HPAT because they claim you'll be much more prepared than those who don't do ME, etc. :p

Fantastic scores btw, I'm jelly.

I got 1 or 2 from Acer. Are you sure you didn't get any? It just had your details. In one of the emails there is a code for you to access the papers.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! I got no access code :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

So you did get an email about the Hpat? I just checked mine and the sender is actually Hpat - Ireland. In the first email it should have a box with your details. Just underneath that is a user ID that you use with your email. Hope this helps! :)

I think e-mails from ACER go into your junk mail by default if you're on hotmail/yahoo etc.? So maybe check there?

• Advertisement

Ah, I registered on Jan 17th before the early deadline. I check my spam regularly anyway so I don't know what's going on :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ah, I registered on Jan 17th before the early deadline. I check my spam regularly anyway so I don't know what's going on :(

Get in touch with them. I don't know how it would have happened, but you're entitled to your access codes.

I've emailed them. I'll probably get some reply at some stage during the night, assuming the support team is based in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

Hi guys just wondering does anyone know where the HPAT test will be held in Galway???

thanks

mmcinerney wrote: »
    Hi guys just wondering does anyone know where the HPAT test will be held in Galway???

thanks

It's been in NUIG in the past afaik, I'd say we'll be finding out for definite shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah it's in the Bailey Allen hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

A question for HPAT repeaters! Do the CAO have our leaving cert results from last year even though we had to get a new CAO number?
    So paranoid that I'll mess this application up somehow!

A question for HPAT repeaters! Do the CAO have our leaving cert results from last year even though we had to get a new CAO number?
    So paranoid that I'll mess this application up somehow!

Yes they do but you have to post in last years HPAT statement of results to them . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

It's annoying how simple the ACER practice test is, in the section 2 there's one obvious correct answer and three obviously incorrect answers.

I anticipate the real thing to be 4 equally possible correct answers :(

• Advertisement

Sigh, the mocks were an excellent excuse for not doing anything HPAT-related. Three weeks to go, time to get into the swing of it again. Tomorrow >.>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement