Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I'm in the Kampus Kitchen in UCC, which is in the Kane (the really ugly old tall building) for those of you less acquainted with UCC!

EDIT: Actually I think the Kampus Kitchen is quite near the Nuclear reactor they have in the Kane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

KristineKJ wrote: »
    gosh, admission test. Suddenly got all nervous.

UCD, graduate school of business. Anyone else here?

Yep, see you there. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Same here! Email notification woke me up last night :P

Ehm, is there anybody out there who has done no prep courses, and only the HPAT practice papers?

Um, me. And wow, I can tell I was writing that very late last night (aand just gotten home from a party.) I was of course suppose to say, admission TICKET. But oh well.

I really want to do the online ME(which I just found out was an option, wow, great research self...) but I'm not sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I'm in the Kampus Kitchen in UCC, which is in the Kane (the really ugly old tall building) for those of you less acquainted with UCC!

Cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

EDIT: Actually I think the Kampus Kitchen is quite near the Nuclear reactor they have in the Kane ;)

I'm there too!! Where is it exactly in the Kane Building? Basement?? :)

• Advertisement

pokkyoc wrote: »
    I'm there too!! Where is it exactly in the Kane Building? Basement?? :)

I THINK it might, be I'm not too familiar with the Kane though, but there'll be a few hundred people there, I'm sure if you follow the mass of people you'll find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

0mega wrote: »
    Yep, see you there. :P

Haha, yes, hopefully. If I can find the way....*goes to do serious research on bus services/directions/google maps* :P

I will seriously be there an hour prior to arrival time stated....just to be sure I'm at the right place :P

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

Ok is there any way of working out roughly how your doing if you don't have the Med Entry package? When I do the tests under exam conditions I'm getting between 70-80% right in sec 1, 80-90% in section 2 and 65-75% in sec 3(I did a prep course so its not solely based on the acer tests) but how do this results compare? They're a very general overview of my results but I'm sitting a mock exam in galway on Sunday and will hopefully have a better idea then. On another note, anyone sitting the HPAT in galway? Got my ticket last night :/ terrified is not the word :p

Ok is there any way of working out roughly how your doing if you don't have the Med Entry package? When I do the tests under exam conditions I'm getting between 70-80% right in sec 1, 80-90% in section 2 and 65-75% in sec 3(I did a prep course so its not solely based on the acer tests) but how do this results compare? They're a very general overview of my results but I'm sitting a mock exam in galway on Sunday and will hopefully have a better idea then. On another note, anyone sitting the HPAT in galway? Got my ticket last night :/ terrified is not the word :p

If you were to get those sort of percentages that would generally mean a very good percentile, for example in one of the ME tests I got 33/48 in S1 which roughly is 69% (hehe) and that gave me a percentile of 89th!

But of course this doesn't guarantee anything as it varies depending on the severity of the test! For example from what I understand the first HPAT practice booklet is very easy so 33/48 would only be a very middling score. All in all it's quite hard to know how you'll do from your raw percentages!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

If you were to get those sort of percentages that would generally mean a very good percentile, for example in one of the ME tests I got 33/48 in S1 which roughly is 69% (hehe) and that gave me a percentile of 89th!

But of course this doesn't guarantee anything as it varies depending on the severity of the test! For example from what I understand the first HPAT practice booklet is very easy so 33/48 would only be a very middling score. All in all it's quite hard to know how you'll do from your raw percentages!
    Ok thanks :) I know its very hard to work out stuff but even just a nod that I'm going in the right direction is great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

KristineKJ wrote: »
    Um, me. And wow, I can tell I was writing that very late last night (aand just gotten home from a party.) I was of course suppose to say, admission TICKET. But oh well.

I really want to do the online ME(which I just found out was an option, wow, great research self...) but I'm not sure....

Personally, if I had the money I might do a course, but I'm not even sure if the benefits are worth it. I'm not putting down the ME thing, but a lot of people here are saying that their scores keep fluctuating, and after all, it is an aptitude test, so there's really only so much that can be prepared in advance. I suppose practice is handy, to get comfortable with the paper, but I just don't have a few hundred squids lying around to throw away on something that may or may not make a difference. Forgive me if I've offended anyone, or if I sound incredibly ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

0mega wrote: »
    Where's everyone being shipped off to? :p

Exam Hall, TCD. Man, when I walked out of my last ever exam there, I never thought I'd be seeing the inside of that hall again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I'm also Trinity. IT FEELS SO REAL NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

Just done ME exam 8, anyone else notice the sly Scrubs reference in section 2? :P

waiting4 wrote: »
    Just done ME exam 8, anyone else notice the sly Scrubs reference in section 2? :P

No, what was it? And how did you get on? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

OMG just had the worst day of HPAT ever!!!
    i was soooo fed up today of this damn HPAT. then i did exam 6 and it went BRUTAL! im talking fail! i never failed it before but i did this time! it was going good and then BAM, i fail!
    i think it was my attitude today though. i was in the library and these idiots wouldn't shut up and there was a knitting and music appreciate meeting downstairs.... in the FU%KING LIBRARY!
    god i'm so sick of this now.
    i have loads of exams to do but it's my birthday tomorrow and i don'y want to do another exam! :( fml.

I was doing a vague calculation of what points I would've been likely to have gotten from the HPAT (got it by taking the average of my percentiles of my most recent ME, I know it's not at all accurate but I was sort of curious) and combining with the points I got from me pres and I would've been in this hypothetical situation 1 point off Med in NUIG. That would be galling if that happened in the real thing, I actually don't think I would be able to be consoled! I suppose though there's always somebody who's 1 point off but could you imagine being that person. . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

the scene where elliot talks to her patient about getting bangs....
    exam 8 was fairly solid for me
    S1;78 S2;79 S3;75
    chuffed that i was able to do well in each section :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ffycieFpwU skip to 4 minutes in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I suppose though there's always somebody who's 1 point off but could you imagine being that person. . . . .

:p That was Jumpguy until third round offers a couple years ago :pac: Cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AverageGirl

I'm in the Aula Maxima in UCC! Anyone else there too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

This time two weeks IT'S OVER.:D:D

Bailey Allen Hall in NUIG, I've been there before and I actually think I'll be around there in the next two weeks so maybe that'll settle the nerves a bit? Probably not but oh well!

I'm in the Aula Maxima in UCC! Anyone else there too?

I didn't know there was two exam centres in UCC, although thinking about it now they'd obviously have to have a few exam centres cause they could hardly fit hundred of people into the one hall :3

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Got a 75th and 85th percentile in section 1 and 3 . . . This is the first time I've gotten anything over 50th in them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

I hate to mention this, but what's everyone's back up? :pac:

Theoretical Physics is mine, funnily enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Call me crazy but I don't actually have a back up :P

Mine's Biochem in UCC, as it would leave you relatively well placed for the GAMSAT but in all realism I'm young, (I'll only be 18 next January) so I really think I would repeat before doing a course I didn't want with all my heart! My parents keep on telling me to "Choose a course you'd be willing to repeat to get into as that proves that you really want to do it" and the only course I'd be willing to repeat to get into is Medicine!

Exam 9.. Section 3.. mother of God that was difficult. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I have Pharmacy down, I used to be all 'Medicine or nothing', but tbh Pharmacy has grown on me in the last while and I think I'd take it. That depends on a lot though, like I might take a year out and repeat the HPAT, the LC if I get less than 550 (considering I wouldn't get into Pharmacy with that anyway :pac:). I think it's good to have a Plan B, knowing I have a back-up makes mefeel a lot more chilled out about the whole affair. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

repeat HPAT that is if we're still allowed! oh God, the thoughts of not being able :O

• Advertisement

repeat HPAT that is if we're still allowed! oh God, the thoughts of not being able :O

I really can't see how they could say you could only do the HPAT once ever, like if they reduced the currency of results to 1 year that would be fair as it would stop the problem of people taking up a college course and then dropping out if they did well enough in the HPAT but like only allowing you to do it once ever is just crazy, like what if you were sick or genuinely didn't do as well as you're capable of?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement