Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hermione Granger.

Thanks for stealing my usename I put a lot of thought into that !!!!

Am I'm not sure to tell you the truth. My Sec 2 scores keep fluctuating. You're supposed to be in a really good mood doing it but I'm not so sure. I read a lot of fiction and have really tried to improve my vocabulary.

How far off were you last year ?

I'm so sorry,I realised after i posted and thought that it could get a little confusing! Im reading the books at the moment and she's the first name i thought of!:(
    I got 167 last year with 560 LC points, which I wasn't really happy with but I'm also repeating this year so i hope to go up a bit! I did the ME course last year too and i think my S2 scores were better then...which really isn't a good sign! :p Thanks for the advice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

This ME workshop feedback is a joke -.- My strongest Section has been S2 and they tell me it's my weakest and my weakest has been S3 and they tell me I scored in the 95th percentile. WTH. -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

SDCards wrote: »
    This ME workshop feedback is a joke -.- My strongest Section has been S2 and they tell me it's my weakest and my weakest has been S3 and they tell me I scored in the 95th percentile. WTH. -.-

You do realise all they have to base it on is how you performed in the mock exam? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

SDCards wrote: »

I think I got lucky in my weakest section too! I got 95th in Section 1 (I've never gotten anything over 90 in any of the practice tests yet... :confused:) And Section 2 which is by far my strongest section was my weakest... :confused::confused:

I don't think that the ME trial exam gives you the best indication on where you're at anyway! I felt much more relaxed doing it... Far too laid-back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Did Exam 10 today:
    S1: 80, S2: 78 and then bam: S3: 0-20

has anyone please got any tips for Pick the Middle????????
    please any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Yeah, I could use some tips for pick the middle too...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 saddlehorse

Yeah the ******** trial wasnt the best feedback, i got the 95th on section 3-but i must have had a mild stroke because when looking at section i gott ALL 20-30 wrong and 5 others wrong outside of that-like i must have really zoned out because thats usually a strong enough section for me. My section 2 as predicted was baaaaad.... Then again i may have picked the wrong people to stay th nught ith the night before...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hermione Granger.

Realistically, what score out of 300 should we be getting to be sure of a place next year do you think? I'm having awful trouble working it out! :( For me, I want to go to UCC and hope to get 600 LC points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Realistically, what score out of 300 should we be getting to be sure of a place next year do you think? I'm having awful trouble working it out! :( For me, I want to go to UCC and hope to get 600 LC points?

Maybe 180 or a little bit higher 184 to be guaranteed a place in UCC with 600 points, I'd say the points will go up again this year, but not as much as last year!

i think if your getting at least 185 you're safe.
    560 leaving cert points (adjusted) + 180 gives 740 which would get you in last year. so if you get 185 you are relatively safe, allowing for an increase of 7 points.

• Advertisement

Maybe 180 or a little bit higher 184 to be guaranteed a place in UCC with 600 points, I'd say the points will go up again this year, but not as much as last year!
    do you think it's really difficult to get 180???
    like say if my average overall medent$y percentile is like 50-60.

do you think it's really difficult to get 180???
    like say if my average overall medent$y percentile is like 50-60.

Well I wouldn't say it's easy anyway! If you look here those are the results from last year and look at the second page there's a cumulative frequency curve which you can use to get a vague idea of raw scores vs percentiles, if you look there around 180 points is 80th percentile, so that's certainly a select few people!

If you look back over the years with the other results from other years that can be found here then you'll see a trend that while at the very start in 2009 the 80th percentile mark was somewhere around 165 now it's higher and every year that mark tends to go up a little bit more so expect it maybe at 183 or 185 this year at a rough guess?

I have heard people before say that realistically for any real chance to get into med you need to be talking 80th percentile plus, now I do know someone who two years ago got in on 558 (adjusted so that was 590!) plus a 70th percentile score, but that's infact becoming less and less likely as the points from HPAT rise the effectiveness of the LC points go down as there's a ceiling you hit with them!

Well I wouldn't say it's easy anyway! If you look here those are the results from last year and look at the second page there's a cumulative frequency curve which you can use to get a vague idea of raw scores vs percentiles, if you look there around 180 points is 80th percentile, so that's certainly a select few people!

If you look back over the years with the other results from other years that can be found here then you'll see a trend that while at the very start in 2009 the 80th percentile mark was somewhere around 165 now it's higher and every year that mark tends to go up a little bit more so expect it maybe at 183 or 185 this year at a rough guess?
    yeah....
    oh i am sort of disheartened at the moment. lately i have being doing really well in the practice exams ie. 70/80 percentile but is this pure fluke? i don't know. i wonder do peoples percentiles really increase in the real deal?
    god, i don't want anything else other than medicine!
    the added pressure of this Hpat is absolutely killing me.... i'm EXHAUSTED!

The points aren't expected to go up this year are they? I was at a HPAT seminar and they said that HPAT results are beginning to level off and the extra maths that came in last year caused the big jump.

Finish my mocks tomorrow, then it's a week of full on HPAT prep! I'm not sure whether I want to do anymore exams though, a bad percentile could really knock my confidence..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Well for example NUIG rose last year from 729 (728 on random selection but very few people on those points got in so it's not really worth mentioning) to 737, which is 8 points, more than the 5 one would expect, though of course the difference the bonus points made to scores below 550 is worth taking into account too. But the points rise was rather large across the (medicine) board, suggesting that there are other factors. I'd agree with Eurovisionmad, people are getting better at the HPAT, most people do a prep course of some sort, so scores are rising whereas back in 2009, there weren't as many prep courses and I'd say the ones that were around weren't much good. I don't think ME even had a HPAT course back then! In summary, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the points rise a bit this year but hopefully nothing too dramatic. I imagine it will all level off eventually but I just somehow don't think it'll be this year. Positive thinking. :pac:

In other news, I'm more chilled out about the HPAT than I've ever been which I'd like to think is a good thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galway Med Hopeful

18/42 in exam 12 section 3... 78th percentile.. cmon lads did any of ye try. Into my second set of ME exams now (friend changed his mind about med) with 17 practice exams done..... Come at me 2nd of March!! :D

Slow Show wrote: »
    In other news, I'm more chilled out about the HPAT than I've ever been which I'd like to think is a good thing. :)

Yeah I'm very chilled now, I'm only doing a tiny bit of work, I don't need any rubbish percentile weighing on my shoulders so close to the exams, what will be will be now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Got 97th percentile in S1 today and then 21st in S2 :p

This is why I hate people so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm doing my final ME exam tomorrow and that'll do until test day, other than having a few glances over stuff to keep in the right frame of mind. It's so close but I'm oddly excited at this stage, it's like I got all my nerves and panic out of the way in like December and now I'm just ready to kick ass or at least not get in the 0-20th percentile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Got 97th percentile in S1 today and then 21st in S2 :p

This is why I hate people so much :D
    Have your section 2s been going downhill for last fee exams? Mine have anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

anybody whose done IOE prep course, what would be a decent reault for section 1 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

amicus wrote: »
    Have your section 2s been going downhill for last fee exams? Mine have anyway

Ahh my S2 scores have been consistently shocking other than one or two, so yes they're bad scores but they're not much worse in comparison to when I started :v

I got 96th percentile on my last S2 exam. I'm not doing anymore after that - I'm on a boost after it. :D

This time next week I shall have landed in Dublin.....ahh, new set of nerves.

And blimey, I've already had a dream where I miss the test cause I get on the wrong bus or somethin' :O

KristineKJ wrote: »
    This time next week I shall have landed in Dublin.....ahh, new set of nerves.

And blimey, I've already had a dream where I miss the test cause I get on the wrong bus or somethin' :O

Can't believe there's people coming even from Norway to sit the HPAT! :)

Are you applying to the UK too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

i love the way (sarcasm) gettin 2 or 3 more right brings you to from 40th to 80th percentile or so..a bit of its luck alright ha

amicus wrote: »
    i love the way (sarcasm) gettin 2 or 3 more right brings you to from 40th to 80th percentile or so..a bit of its luck alright ha

I'd hope the standard deviation is bigger for the real thing..

I think whether I get into medicine or not depends on how many non-prepared people sit the exam. I should've signed a load of my friends up to sit it and bring up our percentiles. :pac:

0mega wrote: »
    Can't believe there's people coming even from Norway to sit the HPAT! :)

Are you applying to the UK too?

hah, well, yeah. I wonder if there'll be anyone else from Norway too, I know one who did it last year and he ran out of time (my biggest fear), but it didn't matter much cause he got into medicine in Norway...(which I won't be able to unless I wait 4 years to get age points -.-)

Not applying to the UK, although I really wanted to. But I found out years ago that it's nearly impossible as a foreign student to get in, and it's waay waaay expensive.

-

Lol, I like your suggestion about sitting random people to the test. Wish it was possible..:P

Did anyone get an email from NUIG thanking them for putting NUIG on their CAO today?

Also I hate to be pedantic (ahhh let's not lie, I love being pedantic ;) ) but statistically the idea of getting random people to do the HPAT wouldn't help really (especially as if they had no interest in it they'd most likely just populate the lower percentiles) and it have the effect that people who would get 80th percentile wouldn't have a good chance of getting in, it might be say the 85th or 90th. But it's all sort of a moot point anyway because if one year you got 80th percentile, and then the next year a load of random people did it, you'd most likely move up the pecking order the same as everyone else and get something like the 90th percentile, but you'd still have the same chance of getting into med as your 80th percentile result the year before!

I know nobody actually wanted to hear that but I had to throw it in for accuracy ;)

• Advertisement

^ hah, yeah, I just saw that mail.

And yeah, you're right of course. And adding people wouldn't fill up spaces either as everyone who wishes to take the test will be able to as long as they sign up in time.

Wishful thinking these days :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement