Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

Anyone going to the chemistry olympiad in DCU tomorrow? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

amicus wrote: »
    i love the way (sarcasm) gettin 2 or 3 more right brings you to from 40th to 80th percentile or so..a bit of its luck alright ha

Gotta remember in the real thing your percentile is based on your score out of 300, whereas on ME it's based on 48 questions or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

What are you guys doing for prep at this stage? I want to avoid exams and the dreaded percentiles because if I get too stressed than I usually get sick.

So what else can I be doing? Would going over the solutions of past exams be helpful or a waste? What are you guys finding beneficial? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

0mega wrote: »
    What are you guys doing for prep at this stage? I want to avoid exams and the dreaded percentiles because if I get too stressed than I usually get sick.

So what else can I be doing? Would going over the solutions of past exams be helpful or a waste? What are you guys finding beneficial? :)

look i think at this stage just relax! whatever will be will be!
    i would say do one more exam and then just do 1 drill from each section and then the guides and then RELAX! we got this!
    keep her handy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

^ currently I'm memorizing emotions and complex enliglish vocabulary I've come across in the booklets...don't think that's anything for you though :P

Also reading over my self made notes with useful things to remember for each section.

But um...yeah...idk. Also studying for my medical statistics exam which comes up two weeks after the hpat...umm, that's not helping. At all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 alan56

How did people do at the career services mock test? Taught section two was quite strange but S1 and S3 were okay? What did ye get?

alan56 wrote: »
    How did people do at the career services mock test? Taught section two was quite strange but S1 and S3 were okay? What did ye get?

35/20/25 Was disappointed with my S2 especially :(

You?

Did anyone get an email from NUIG thanking them for putting NUIG on their CAO today?

Also I hate to be pedantic (ahhh let's not lie, I love being pedantic ;) ) but statistically the idea of getting random people to do the HPAT wouldn't help really (especially as if they had no interest in it they'd most likely just populate the lower percentiles) and it have the effect that people who would get 80th percentile wouldn't have a good chance of getting in, it might be say the 85th or 90th. But it's all sort of a moot point anyway because if one year you got 80th percentile, and then the next year a load of random people did it, you'd most likely move up the pecking order the same as everyone else and get something like the 90th percentile, but you'd still have the same chance of getting into med as your 80th percentile result the year before!

I know nobody actually wanted to hear that but I had to throw it in for accuracy ;)

im guessing your absence is due to the Eurovision song being picked? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

im guessing your absence is due to the Eurovision song being picked? :P
    You would think so :P but you'd be wrong, I'm never that bothered about the Irish song (they're sh**e anyway!) but when the real thing comes around I become incredibly insufferable ;)

7 days! :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

You would think so :P but you'd be wrong, I'm never that bothered about the Irish song (they're sh**e anyway!) but when the real thing comes around I become incredibly insufferable ;)

haha seriously? :P yeah they re though, it's true :P
    hahaha

"relax, take it easyyyyyyyyyyy for there is nothing rhat we can dooooo" - mika
    :P

STAHHHPPPP

STAHHHPPPP

Well it's not as if anyone had forgotten! :D

Are you more or less nervous this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

I'm strangely calm. Practice exams till Thursday morning and then breezing through the guides and emotional vocab. Friday I'm going to take my dog to the grooming studio and give him a bath. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Also, with 551 LC points (I haven't added the bonus that came in last year?) do you reckon I could get away with scoring in 97th percentile in one section, 60th - 70th in the other two? (Currently the trend... :'[)

Are you more or less nervous this time around?

I'd say less, I feel prepared this time. My S1 scores on ME have been consistently strong, and I know I've improved in my S3 from last year. I kind of have it in the back of mind head the idea that if I don't get it this time I know it's not because I didn't give it a go.

And if I don't get it this time, it's still not the end of the world. Get it eventually like. I definitely felt last year that the hpat was more of a life or death exam :pac:

I see what all of you meant about E9 S1 on ME. I got my highest ever raw score (39/44), delighted .. and then 78th percentile, my lowest S1 since Exam 3!

So E9 will be my last exam before the real thing and I'm pretty happy with how I've got on, ending on a high. S1 78, S2 96, S3 87. Complete reverse in my usual order as S1 is usually my best and S2 my worst. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

SDCards wrote: »
    Also, with 551 LC points (I haven't added the bonus that came in last year?) do you reckon I could get away with scoring in 97th percentile in one section, 60th - 70th in the other two? (Currently the trend... :'[)

In all honesty nobody could tell you, while ME can give you your raw percentiles for each section nobody could calculate your overall percentile because nobody knows how its calculated, I suppose you'll only find out next June!

On another note at least by this time next week it'll all be over! So what's everyone's plans for the precious little time we have left? My plan is a practice exam today and tomorrow, then Monday and Tuesday spent reading the solutions and a few guides from then on, and a relaxing Friday night of doing nothing! School work will be going out the window and I'm gonna have a strict policy of going to bed at 22:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 freeandradical

Hi. Did anyone on this do the career services exam? Just wondering cos they didn't bother giving percentiles :-/ I don't know if I did okay or not so I'll post my results in the hope someone can give me a rough idea. Thanks :-)
    S1: 34 S2:29 S3: 25

• Advertisement

Well done. I got 35/20/25. Somebody else posted there's a few pages back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

What is everyone using to time themselves in the actual exam? Up to now, i've been using my iPhone's stop-clock! It'd probably be wise to invest in some sort of digital watch for the exam.. any recommendations?

What is everyone using to time themselves in the actual exam? Up to now, i've been using my iPhone's stop-clock! It'd probably be wise to invest in some sort of digital watch for the exam.. any recommendations?

I have nothing like that except an ordinary watch, so I'm not sure. :(

I know that in RCSI last year, they took stopwatches off people last year because they make noise apparently. :confused:

Hopefully that won't be enforced all over this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

It says in the handbook you're not allowed stopwatches. I also contacted Acer a few months ago and they said you can't have anything that makes a noise. Seems fair enough to me, I don't think I'd like stopwatches beeping every so often! You can get cheap digital watches and turn off the noise, hopefully this will work for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Re-did section 3 in the first ACER practice paper (when I did it the first time about a month ago, I botched up my timing and didn't get it finished). I can honestly say that I couldn't remember it from the last so that wasn't a factor, but my score improved by 10%. THERE IS A GOD :D (I'm not on ME nor have I done a course, so it's a big thing for me :P )

Doing practice paper 2 tonight, and that will be the extent of my study! This time next week it'll be all over! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

Hi. Did anyone on this do the career services exam? Just wondering cos they didn't bother giving percentiles :-/ I don't know if I did okay or not so I'll post my results in the hope someone can give me a rough idea. Thanks :-)

S1:20 S2:30 S3:12 D:
    i was only happy with my section 2, although i did manage to forget my watch so was crap timewise, i know i can time myself better. and by the time we got to with section 3 i was really tired and hungry(actually felt hungover, but i'd only gotten 3-4 hours sleep and was wrecked) also i was late for the exam and a little bit stressed. I'll probably be more stressed for the real thing cause our mocks are on this week and i am literally drowning :/
    Off topic but; im thinking of easing up on maths revision(just for the mocks) i'm probably going to fail anyways(our teacher has been out sick for the past few weeks and we only have like half the course covered so i think i'd be better off spending time on the hpat, but i dont want to be sent back to ordinary for failing :/ anyone got any advice?

i actually realised i made a lot of excuses there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 freeandradical

I did my pres before the midterm and I can honestly once you get an exam back the teachers give you a few comments and then it's forgotten about! I wish I hadn't bothered revising for them now, and if I were you I'd focus on the HPAT...:-) To be honest I don't think teachers have the right to force you to do honours/pass whatever. Once you know what you want and are willing to make a commitment then it should be up to you!

Nice score on the S2 @Rabbit hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galway Med Hopeful

Hoping to cash in on some good luck charm points I'm going to use my doctor great grandfathers 90 year old gold pocket watch given to me by my doctor grandfather. If that doesn't get me medicine good luck charms don't exist :D

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the breakdown for timing? How many seconds for each question in each section?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement