Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

0mega wrote: »
    Does anyone know the breakdown for timing? How many seconds for each question in each section?

sorry don't know!
    but i always find that timing is generally okay. sure i could do with an hour on some difficult ones but it's usually fine. i rarely look at the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Does anyone know the breakdown for timing? How many seconds for each question in each section?

S1: 88 sec
    S2: 75 sec
    S3: 80 sec

Over a minute for each but it barely seems sufficient, especially in Section 3... /sigh. Also, I usually take them in chunks because some questions take a lot less time and others take longer. So I sort of do like 11 Q in 16 minutes in S1 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I generally do 7 questions in 10 minutes in S1 and S3 and 8 questions in 10 minutes in S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I generally do 7 questions in 10 minutes in S1 and S3 and 8 questions in 10 minutes in S2.

7 questions in 10 minutes seems particularly taxing for S3. I think I'll tackle the Next in Series and Matrix questions first as they're less time consuming and then leave the Next In Sequence until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I did my last exam yesterday (S1&3 of the very last ME exam are really hard in my opinion if you want to push yourselves, S1 was full of problem-solving questions and there were very few simple, straightforward q's in 3), and finished with my best overall percentiles yet, feels like I've finally become better than terrible at S3. :D Ah guys, just so happy that this time next week it'll all be over. And that I'm not in panic central, just dying for it to be over so I can move on. :) I really don't know what my plan for this week will be, solutions mainly and possibly a few problem-solving drills. Might have a look at some emotion vocab, I dunno really. I feel confident enough that I've prepared to the best of my ability (at least while juggling the LC with it) so no regrets regardless.

I need to get my hands on a watch before Saturday though. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I find I can fly through most of the Next in Sequence/Matrix questions in less than a minute, though obviously some require a bit more thought! If it follows the layout of the sample papers Middle of the Sequence will be last anyway. I like how there's so much less questions in the real thing than ME for S3, like I always seem to drift out and do particularly badly in my last 10 or so questions so 30 is a good number for me. Kinda looking forward to seeing just how ambiguous S2 is in the real thing as well. WOOO OPTIMISM.

Slow Show wrote: »
    I find I can fly through most of the Next in Sequence/Matrix questions in less than a minute, though obviously some require a bit more thought! If it follows the layout of the sample papers Middle of the Sequence will be last anyway. I like how there's so much less questions in the real thing than ME for S3, like I always seem to drift out and do particularly badly in my last 10 or so questions so 30 is a good number for me. Kinda looking forward to seeing just how ambiguous S2 is in the real thing as well. WOOO OPTIMISM.

I've been going through different phases today of 'Yes! Only one more week! :D' to 'Aw ****, 7 days... :eek:'

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Working the whole weekend and wishing I could study instead....

I have a pocket watch, like the kind you can have around your neck or just keep in your pocket - you're allowed to bring that right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

This has probably been posted already but would anyone that has done the ACER practice exam 1 mind sharing their results?

I got S1: 28, S2:33, S3: 26

acer practice booklet 1

S1: 24
    S2: 36
    S3: 17

First time I did anything hpat related, but luckily I've improved in S1 and S3 :P

• Advertisement

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    This has probably been posted already but would anyone that has done the ACER practice exam 1 mind sharing their results?

I got S1: 28, S2:33, S3: 26

S1: 32
    S2: 35
    S3: 28

Only did that about a month ago though, so roughly around where I'm at now.

On another positive note, this time next week we will all be royally pissed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Oh don't get me started :pac:

mother-of-god-meme.jpg

I saw on the ME forums that people are trying to organise a night out in Dublin. :pac:

thats for sure! im having a HPAT party! getting the jager and red bull already! :P woooooooooooop

I saw on the ME forums that people are trying to organise a night out in Dublin. :pac:

Whoop I'm all for that ^^

And cheers for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

is there an actual official hpat party or are ya just going out with your mates ha?

it'd be hilarious to meet everyone on this thread

amicus wrote: »

yeah i know. i dunno is there is or not but i'm still 17 :( n id

• Advertisement

yeah i know. i dunno is there is or not but i'm still 17 :( n id

ah man grow up haha

what's everyone planning on doing this week hpatwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AverageGirl

what's everyone planning on doing this week hpatwise?

I think I'm just gonna try do one more timed full exam and then I'll just look over pick the middle mainly, and sleep a lot :P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Has anyone found that scrolling up and down for the ACER papers cuts into their time for answering questions, because it's harder to refer back to the text/graph, at least for sections 1 and 2? I know it's a waste of paper, but I found that with the first paper so I'm printing out sections 1 and 2 for the second paper! The environment can take one for the team for once :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

just did Acer practice exam 1. It went ok I suppose apart from section 1! i never seem to do too well in it ! Does anybody have any tips on it?
    Section 1: 17
    Section 2: 28
    Section 3: 20

haha yeah. We should all just go around wearing our username and be all 'ay fellah boards lads' :P

Has anyone found that scrolling up and down for the ACER papers cuts into their time for answering questions, because it's harder to refer back to the text/graph, at least for sections 1 and 2? I know it's a waste of paper, but I found that with the first paper so I'm printing out sections 1 and 2 for the second paper! The environment can take one for the team for once :P

That's going to be so much better for the real thing, actually getting to do it on paper rather than on the computer screen.

Interesting fact, but you read much faster on paper than you do on the computer! And as you said, you won't have to waste time clicking 'next', flagging questions, scrolling up and down and it will be much easier to flick to questions you want to do because you get a universal view of the exam! :)

I think I'm just gonna try do one more timed full exam and then I'll just look over pick the middle mainly, and sleep a lot :P

eating might also be helpful :p

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

KristineKJ wrote: »
    haha yeah. We should all just go around wearing our username and be all 'ay fellah boards lads' :P

Ooh! All the UCD Business School crowd could all go get lunch together (food is always on my mind) :D
    That's going to be so much better for the real thing, actually getting to do it on paper rather than on the computer screen.

Interesting fact, but you read much faster on paper than you do on the computer! And as you said, you won't have to waste time clicking 'next', flagging questions, scrolling up and down and it will be much easier to flick to questions you want to do because you get a universal view of the exam!

Yeah, I just did the second ACER paper there, and printed out all 37 pages of sections 1 and 2 (it took an age to print). It was far handier, and my timing was far better for it, so I suppose that's the good news.

The bad news is I did terrible in the 2 sections! I'm actually too ashamed to put up my scores! Section 1 went absolutely horrendously for me, and section 2 I did really well in the first paper but my score dropped significantly! I'm actually so disheartened I could cry and I'm leaving Section 3 for another night. :( I wish I could have done ME for some confidence, at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 AverageGirl

eating might also be helpful :p

There will be no food left in my house by next Saturday! I tend to comfort eat :L

Is there anyone doing the hpat in cork? I can't believe it's next week it's just so so soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement