Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The Fighter 1

Is everyone on here applying for medicine? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Is everyone on here applying for medicine? :)

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but the HPAT is only for medicine, you wouldn't be doing it if you weren't applying for medicine!

Anyway I'm relatively relaxed, there's not a massive amount I feel I can do from not on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but the HPAT is only for medicine, you wouldn't be doing it if you weren't applying for medicine!

Anyway I'm relatively relaxed, there's not a massive amount I feel I can do from not on!

is it really bad that i haven't done any hpat in like a week? be honest? :P

is it really bad that i haven't done any hpat in like a week? be honest? :P

Not really, cramming certainly won't help now, the dye is cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

how does your acer scores compare between the two practise booklets ??
    paper 1 S1:36 S2:31 S3:28
    then a big difference :(
    paper 2 S1:25 S2:29 S3:24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

So just wondering, in total, about how many will be accepted to medicine in any of the universities under grad ?? Anyone know?

Like, in Norway there's a total of about 500 both undergrad and grad for medicine...

KristineKJ wrote: »
    So just wondering, in total, about how many will be accepted to medicine in any of the universities under grad ?? Anyone know?

Like, in Norway there's a total of about 500 both undergrad and grad for medicine...

It's around 100 per med school for undergrad I think! But I'm most certainly open to correction! I'm not sure about the gradmed but because the places are allocated in a different system they have no bearing on the undergrads (and in UL they only do gradmed) on top of that there's also the non EU and EEC students who are ex-quota students so they don't affect the number of undergrads either!

Not really, cramming certainly won't help now, the dye is cast!
    okay. oh that is a scary analagy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

KristineKJ wrote: »

Yeah it's not far off 500 for undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

People sitting the hpat at UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business, I emailed them to find out what building we're supposed to meet at. Maybe I just didn't figure it out, but it's building 8 on the map:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

When will we get results?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

When will we get results?

It's not announced yet but I'm thinking that it'd be released on the 24th of June :) The morning of first Monday after the Leaving Cert I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Ayayayeeee. I thought the ACER P1 will be easier than all the LMS questions... Big mistake. ><

S1: 30
    S2: 32
    S3: 22

:(

Is P2 being more difficult than P2, the general consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Just did exam 11 today. . . Have many other people gotten this far ?

Sec 1 :82
    Sec 2: 80
    Sec 3 :75

Those are percentiles obviously... Not sure how accurate they are only got 24 as a raw score for Section 3 . . .

Anyone else care to share their results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

I got S1: 39 (so disheartening this close to the exam) S2:98 S3: 59

My raw score for section 3 was 22 so there seems to be a pretty big jump in percentile within a small range of raw scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

21 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 saddlehorse

Genius here was filling in there answers to the acer practice test 2 into the ******** thing. Wondered why they still marked 48 questions but but i was in a bit of a rush so i filled em in anyway and got very surprised to get the 22nd percentile. Then i realised that i was filling it into the umat... So on changing it over to the hpat one where some questions are different and 4 less i get back 1:29 (70th percentile) 2:26 (45th) and 3:22 (59). Still below what i hoped for but meh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

A lot of people (myself included) just clicked 'submit' without answering any questions to get the solutions for the practice tests, and there's loads of other variables too what with people actually having the answers and people having done the tests more than once -wouldn't even think about the ME percentiles tbh, they mean next to nothing.

Genius here was filling in there answers to the acer practice test 2 into the ******** thing. Wondered why they still marked 48 questions but but i was in a bit of a rush so i filled em in anyway and got very surprised to get the 22nd percentile. Then i realised that i was filling it into the umat... So on changing it over to the hpat one where some questions are different and 4 less i get back 1:29 (70th percentile) 2:26 (45th) and 3:22 (59). Still below what i hoped for but meh

All things considered though if you filled everyone of them in wrong it's still impressive to get 22nd percentile ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

In a way I'm looking forward to just getting it done. I suppose I am calm enough although I know I haven't done enough so I guess you could say I'm a bit nervous! To be honest though I don't mind having to repeat. I'm still young and I did want to take a year out anyway so if I don't do well it's not the end of the world.
    Just remember everyone that if it doesn't work out this year there's always next year. A year isn't that long in the grand scheme of things!
    Anyway I think I'll do a S1 and 3 today/tomorrow then maybe some drills and look over the guides and answers. Looking forward to being able to study and do homework without feeling guilty about the Hpat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Quite embarrassed about my ACER Paper 1 scores:
    Section 1: 20
    Section 2: 31
    Section 3: 12 (gahhh :mad: )

Saturday will certainly be interesting...

Don't worry about it, you should have seen my ACER paper 2, it was worse, I was so disheartened I haven't even done section 3 of it yet :( Stay positive for Saturday! You still have every chance of doing well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Fiddles44 wrote: »
    I got S1: 39 (so disheartening this close to the exam) S2:98 S3: 59

My raw score for section 3 was 22 so there seems to be a pretty big jump in percentile within a small range of raw scores

Yeah I would say so alright. . . Would you usually be getting around the 20s with Section 3 or . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

So, yeah, feeling quite calm about the whole affair, even though I haven't done a prep course, merely the two practice booklets. To change the subject from ME, where's everyone's first choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Yeah I would say so alright. . . Would you usually be getting around the 20s with Section 3 or . . .

Not sure tbh what raw score I usually get but percentile wise for section 3 I usually get in the 80s/90s so it was a bit of a shock

First choice is RCSI

So, yeah, feeling quite calm about the whole affair, even though I haven't done a prep course, merely the two practice booklets. To change the subject from ME, where's everyone's first choice?

First choice is RCSI provisionally? yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

First choice is RCSI provisionally? yours?

First choice is between TCD and NUIG at the moment. How disadvantaged will I be by not doing a prep course? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

the only dissadvantage of not doing a prep course is the lack of material you can work with, after a while you'll start to remember the answers rather then figuring it out so it wont be an accurate indication of any improvement made ...
    that said there are people who get it without any prep course it really just depends if your naturally good at this type of thing, prep courses just help people that arent naturally good at HPAT to develope their skills

First choice is between TCD and NUIG at the moment. How disadvantaged will I be by not doing a prep course? :/
    Cool.
    Re: prep course,
    Don't give it a second though from here on in. You have just as good of chance as anyone with the prep course. there is a huge eliment of luck involved in this exam. The best advice is to eliminate at least two wrong answers and then guess (that's if you must guess at all).
    Relax, take a deep breath and be confident. you are as much deserving of a place in medicine as anyone else! Don't let this shambles of an exam discourage you. there are different countries and years to do medicine.
    I'm sure you will do perfect. sure, there are stats saying that the prepers get higher result, but it really depends on your aptitude for this type of thing.
    And remember, doing badly in the HPAT doesn't make you a bad future medic, it just highlights the failing system that is currently present. this is varified by all five dean's of medicine.
    again, Relax and have faith. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Cool.
    Re: prep course,
    Don't give it a second though from here on in. You have just as good of chance as anyone with the prep course. there is a huge eliment of luck involved in this exam. The best advice is to eliminate at least two wrong answers and then guess (that's if you must guess at all).
    Relax, take a deep breath and be confident. you are as much deserving of a place in medicine as anyone else! Don't let this shambles of an exam discourage you. there are different countries and years to do medicine.
    I'm sure you will do perfect. sure, there are stats saying that the prepers get higher result, but it really depends on your aptitude for this type of thing.
    And remember, doing badly in the HPAT doesn't make you a bad future medic, it just highlights the failing system that is currently present. this is varified by all five dean's of medicine.
    again, Relax and have faith. ;)

Couldn't agree more. Remember that the HPAT is designed to be sat without any prior preparation, it is an aptitude test, not the Leaving Cert. Prep course or no prep course, you should still walk into the exam with full confidence and a positive mindset :) First choice is UCD, but I'd say I'll be in Galway! I'd be delighted with any medicine course :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

Okay guys, I am a former lurker of this post and have decided to reveal myself :P How much hpat prep is everyone doing a night, ballpark? I haven't done a prep course and have just been reading the two ACER papers, but a friend who did a course lets me use hers for drills and such. I'm finding S1 and S2 are consistently my better sections when compared to s3.. My S3 scores are absolutely dismal. Feeling very disheartened, as I've only had practice materials for around 2 months and am tearing my hair out with worry. Any advice? :(

First choice would be NUIG, don't have any others down as am taking a karmic approach- if I don't get it, it's not meant to be. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement