Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Couldn't agree more. Remember that the HPAT is designed to be sat without any prior preparation, it is an aptitude test, not the Leaving Cert. Prep course or no prep course, you should still walk into the exam with full confidence and a positive mindset :) First choice is UCD, but I'd say I'll be in Galway! I'd be delighted with any medicine course :D

Nice! i'd also be happy with ANYWHERE! medicine is medicine after all

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Would it be a good idea to do Exam 12 thurs or fri or should i just leave it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Would it be a good idea to do Exam 12 thurs or fri or should i just leave it ?

leave it! The section 3 of that exam is pretty tough going so you'd really want to be in the right frame of mind doing it, theres no point in pushing it at this stage i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

So, yeah, feeling quite calm about the whole affair, even though I haven't done a prep course, merely the two practice booklets. To change the subject from ME, where's everyone's first choice?

UCC is my first choice!! :D:D

I need to stay calm for Saturday though!! :( Getting anxious all of sudden... I think I'll focus on reviewing the Section 3s that I've done previously and maybe get some Section 1 drills done for the moment...!! I need to try and maintain the right frame of mind for Section 2 as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

omg, it's so soon now. Always seemed so distant, and it's in 3 DAYS. Too real. okay okay, I need to stop freakin' out....

I'll just to for a run and hopefully be more calm afterwards.

xP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 abipom

hey i am new to this thread and hpat stuff so was just wondering whether anyone could tell me what kind of percentile 36/44 s1 would be in the ACER test 2.
    also are the acer tests generally easier or harder than the real thing or roughly the same?
    my only preparation is those two ACER tests :s

also the hpat is given to us in the form of paper right? or is it on a computer?

im thinking s3 is really hard.. if hypothetically one was to get 100percent in s1 and 2 but 0 in s3 would this be give the same final score as 67 percent in each?

( ignoring the minor differences that weighting to each question gives)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

abipom wrote: »
    im thinking s3 is really hard.. if hypothetically one was to get 100percent in s1 and 2 but 0 in s3 would this be give the same final score as 67 percent in each?

( ignoring the minor differences that weighting to each question gives)

HPAT is on paper, yes.

Even if you guessed your answers in S3, you'd still stand a chance of getting more than 0 percent.

As for the scoring, I'm still getting my head around it. I always thought it was a cumulative score. /shrug. Someone else might be able to answer that part!

PS: That was frightening to read... 0 percent. Phew! Also, S3 is my weakest link as well.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

my section 1 is terrible,except for three in seven exams all my percentiles for it have been 0-20 :'(
    ME seems to be obsessed to the lying and telling the truth questions. section 2 and 3 are grand.
    ill be done 8 exams by today and was wondering should i do the rest over the remaining days or just leave it?

• Advertisement

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    my section 1 is terrible,except for three in seven exams all my percentiles for it have been 0-20 :'(
    ME seems to be obsessed to the lying and telling the truth questions. section 2 and 3 are grand.
    ill be done 8 exams by today and was wondering should i do the rest over the remaining days or just leave it?

Maybe do one more or something . . . No point over doing it and then getting stressed out . . .

Maybe do one more or something . . . No point over doing it and then getting stressed out . . .

Yeah, I agree with that. I feel like I'm about to burn out. I've lost my appetite and I'm not sleeping well... :( This close to the exam! :mad:

whoop, fresh air did it. And burning lungs. I feel ready for the weekend, bring it on.

At this point I'm all, whatever happens happens. I'll give it my best shot and that's really all I can do.

Now I'm off to do some packing, heading for Dublin in about 30 hours :D

could someone tell me how many questions you need to get correct in each section to get in the 85th percentile? (approx)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

KristineKJ wrote: »
    whoop, fresh air did it. And burning lungs. I feel ready for the weekend, bring it on.

At this point I'm all, whatever happens happens. I'll give it my best shot and that's really all I can do.

Now I'm off to do some packing, heading for Dublin in about 30 hours :D

In case I don't get a chance to say it again, best of luck and I really hope that everything works out for you, you really sound like you deserve it. :) Safe journey and such, hopefully you can manage to enjoy your stay outside of the HPAT. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

abipom wrote: »
    could someone tell me how many questions you need to get correct in each section to get in the 85th percentile? (approx)

C'mon think about it, none of us have sat the exam yet or know how difficult it is - we can hardly tell you how many questions you'll need to get right to have done better than 85 percent of people.

0mega wrote: »
    C'mon think about it, none of us have sat the exam yet or know how difficult it is - we can hardly tell you how many questions you'll need to get right to have done better than 85 percent of people.

haha i dont expect an exact answer but for the bmat and ukcat i had a rough idea of what was needed to achieve a good final mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The Fighter 1

What is everyones strategy for section 3 - the middle of the segment questions (the questions where you have to reorder the sequence to find the middle picture).

Slow Show wrote: »
    In case I don't get a chance to say it again, best of luck and I really hope that everything works out for you, you really sound like you deserve it. :) Safe journey and such, hopefully you can manage to enjoy your stay outside of the HPAT. :P

Thank you thank you, and best of luck to you too :) I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay as well, that's the plan at least :)

Anyone try the diagnostic test on ME(in the UMAT part). I think the results are bull done to try and entice you to purchase ME . . . Anyone agree ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭En

What is everyones strategy for section 3 - the middle of the segment questions (the questions where you have to reorder the sequence to find the middle picture).

my strategy is too keep my strategy a secret so i do better than all of you

muwahahahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Right, if words of advice to everyone from someone who, by the looks of her HPAT practice results, will probably end up busking with her ukulele mean anything at all, here goes:
    There is absolutely no point in stressing over Saturday because of the scores you've been getting so far. This practice will pay off come Saturday, because you'll be so much more familiar with how to approach the questions and what they're looking for. Prep course or no prep course, you know the layout of the paper, and remember, those of you who worry about not having done one, that it is an aptitude test, it's meant to be sat without preparation. You've paid your €115, you may as well mosey on and do it; in spite of everything that you might think is going wrong, you may as well remain positive about the exam, because if one thing is certain it's that negativity and pessimism will get you nowhere. And if it goes belly-up, remember that you have every right to be a doctor, because by applying to do the HPAT, you show ambition to take others' health into your own hands. So stop worrying about scores, everyone! Go for walk, gorge on chocolate or something and keep smilin' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Any advice for section 1? Apart from spend reading. I'm always running out of time. Does anyone else find ME exams much harder than ACER paper 2? I'm beginning to think that looking at a computer screen is slowing me down, especially when the whole question doen't fit on the screen!

Good luck everyone on Saturday..!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

borrch wrote: »
    Any advice for section 1? Apart from spend reading. I'm always running out of time. Does anyone else find ME exams much harder than ACER paper 2? I'm beginning to think that looking at a computer screen is slowing me down, especially when the whole question doen't fit on the screen!

Good luck everyone on Saturday..!

If you spend too much time on problems and don't usually get them right, do all the logical reasoning & data interpretation ones first and leave the problems until the end. That way you won't cost yourself valuable time on questions that you could have gotten right.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

0mega wrote: »
    If you spend too much time on problems and don't usually get them right, do all the logical reasoning & data interpretation ones first and leave the problems until the end. That way you won't cost yourself valuable time on questions that you could have gotten right.

Thanks for that :-) i think im too thorough with each question..! Must think SPEED!!! What's your first choice? Mine's NUIG as i live near Galway.

borrch wrote: »
    Thanks for that :-) i think im too thorough with each question..! Must think SPEED!!! What's your first choice? Mine's NUIG as i live near Galway.

Another thing, if you do end up spending more than 60 seconds on the question you have to be able to eliminate at least SOME of the answers. You have to guess intelligently and move on. Put down an answer for the sake of having spent so much time on it. You can mark it and come back later if you have time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

So am I at a huge disadvantage for not doing a prep course and only doing the given sample paper?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Isco wrote: »
    So am I at a huge disadvantage for not doing a prep course and only doing the given sample paper?

Not if you have a natural aptitude, which many people have.

Ok guys did my final ME Exam 12 today !!!

To be quite honest I'm not entirely sure how I got on . . . .

I tell ye my raw scores and percentiles and I'd appreciate your opinions as to whether I'm below aveage or middle of the road or whatever . .

Sec 1: 30/48 82nd
    Sec 2 29/44 47th
    Sec 3 22/42 92nd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Isco wrote: »

Definitely not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement