Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I have one or two questions.. Are we supposed to know our candidate numbers/cao numbers off by heart or do we keep our ticket on the table?
    For those who have done it before, how long is there between each section?

I can't wait to get it over with.. Good luck tomorrow everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

I have one or two questions.. Are we supposed to know our candidate numbers/cao numbers off by heart or do we keep our ticket on the table?
    For those who have done it before, how long is there between each section?

I can't wait to get it over with.. Good luck tomorrow everyone!

I remember that I didn't know mine, so I think we were all sat at a desk with our hpat number on it so don't worry about it :) good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

there is no time between sections
    if i remember right, youre told theres five minutes left of a section then told that times up move on to the next section

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Good luck guys, do make sure to tell us 5th year how ya's got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 abipom

do they stop you after your time runs out for each section and collect the section then give yku the next section, or do they give you all 3 sections at once and its just up to you to time yourself for each sections over the whole 2 and a half hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

abipom wrote: »
    do they stop you after your time runs out for each section and collect the section then give yku the next section, or do they give you all 3 sections at once and its just up to you to time yourself for each sections over the whole 2 and a half hours?

It's all in one booklet which is given out to you at the start, they tell you when to start S1, they tell you when to stop S1 and they tell you when to start S2 and so on! It is forbidden to go onto or go back to a section when you're supposed to be doing a different one. To stop you from doing that there will be shapes on the corner of every page, a different shape for every section so when they walk past if they see a page with a star when they should see a triangle they know you're not doing the right section and they may get very angry ;)

It's all in one booklet which is given out to you at the start, they tell you when to start S1, they tell you when to stop S1 and they tell you when to start S2 and so on! It is forbidden to go onto or go back to a section when you're supposed to be doing a different one. To stop you from doing that there will be shapes on the corner of every page, a different shape for every section so when they walk past if they see a page with a star when they should see a triangle they know you're not doing the right section and they may get very angry ;)

thanks so much :)
    do any examiners give you a couple of minutes between sections?

abipom wrote: »
    thanks so much :)
    do any examiners give you a couple of minutes between sections?

I think, this is only what I've been told from the ME course (one of the repeats on here would be more sure!) but the only break as such is for a minute or two while they read out the instructions for that section. The HPAT is designed to be tough and mentally exhausting!

I think, this is only what I've been told from the ME course (one of the repeats on here would be more sure!) but the only break as such is for a minute or two while they read out the instructions for that section. The HPAT is designed to be tough and mentally exhausting!

waah thats pretty tough!
    thanks and good luck for tomorrow!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Best of luck to all of you! As someone who sat it last year I know how you're feeling but trust me, the feeling of relief after is unreal :) Also, remember that if you don't get the results you've hoped for that you've so many other options. I didn't get medicine last year and was gutted, took a place in a different course and now I couldn't be happier, I definitely made the right decision. And, if unlike me, there's no other course you'd be happy with, there are other ways to get into medicine. Some routes are longer but it will be worth it in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2sKH8yjVsM

Feel-good song to put you all in a good mood for tomorrow :D Best of luck to everyone, I may come across some of ye at UCD Graduate Business School! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Going to get an early night, best of luck to everyone here! Thanks for all the tips and advice you've shared over the past few months.

Here's hoping we all get on alright and it's a lot better than we're expecting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Ah lads, I'm nervous and excited and also looking forward to being relieved. I really hope to God S2 isn't as ambiguous as they say it is. It'd be a killer!

All the very best to all of you again :D We will be heading in, in about 12 hours' time. And done in about 15 hours.

http://i.imgur.com/NS9H7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

I need help can someone explain the bacteria question in ACER booklet 1 how do they attract or what's the story ? I can't understand the solution !!!

What were you having a problem with? I had to spend some time on it too :/

SDCards wrote: »
    What were you having a problem with? I had to spend some time on it too :/

All of it to be honest like do you know when it says the solution is saturated how come it can detect anything then and if 1 and 2 have the same chemoreceptor then how come 1 is not attracted to 2 . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Eek! Feelings of nervousness kicking in now. G'luck everyone for tomorrow! We won't have to hear another mention of the HPAT again...until next June!

All of it to be honest like do you know when it says the solution is saturated how come it can detect anything then and if 1 and 2 have the same chemoreceptor then how come 1 is not attracted to 2 . . .

Hmm, okay. The solution being saturated refers to the particular attractant in the solution. It doesn't mean the bacteria are saturated... So if the chemoreceptors for I and II are the same, then the bacteria won't bother going up the tube. However, if there was a third attractant, III, then the bacteria would move up the tube because their chemoreceptor for III has detected the presence of III and therefore they move up the tube.

Logic follows through the Q. Lemme know if it still doesn't make sense and I'll try again, lol. I'm not fantastic at explaining stuff that I struggled to get my head around ><

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

We're all going to make it, guys! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah getting pumped up already can not wait just to have the leaving cert to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Can't sleep guys.... :O

Okay gonna sign off soon enough and try get a good night sleep, I'll probably post in the morning, no point worrying now, you'll be grand!

Can't sleep guys.... :O

Tell me about it. I'm too excited/nervous. >< I managed to sleep last night a bit better than I have all week. You nerves, we need to have a talk right now, I need to sleep! /sigh.

I'm listening to songs, focusing on the lyrics, hoping I'll just drift away. Trying to clear my head of all HPAT stuffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

SDCards wrote: »

Tell me about it. I'm too excited/nervous. >< I managed to sleep last night a bit better than I have all week. You nerves, we need to have a talk right now, I need to sleep! /sigh.

I'm listening to songs, focusing on the lyrics, hoping I'll just drift away. Trying to clear my head of all HPAT stuffs...
    I know! Im actually excited, for the first time in ages i imagined actually gettin medicine! :-P
    Best of luck tomorrow! B-)

It was a pleasure posting on this thread! At times it kept me sane :P Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Hopefully we'll all get on great and we'll remeber this time fondly in years to come as junior doctors. Excited now just want to see it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Good luck tomorrow everyone! I hope you're all in bed at this stage :D

You'll probably be exhausted when you get out tomorrow, and its very hard to know how you've done, but at least it'll finally be over and done with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

Here we are guys! Good luck everyone, drinks on me afterwards :D

Nerves really starting to hit now! Remember a good breakfast is essentially guys! Good luck and see ye on the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

LETS DO THIS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

So how did everyone find it? Thought section two was pretty ambiguous but found the rest grand actually :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement