Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

GOD finally i can breath hopefully i don't have to repeat such nerve wrecking experience ever again their was a girl that came to the wrong examination center must have been horrible :/ S1 hard to say was rather Ok? got to question 40 before time ran out and the dude right beside me was only at question 20 guessed the last 4. S2 hmm i didn't find it as ambiguous and difficult as i expected and been told wasn't bad their was nearly 2 viable answer nearly in each question the questions before Fatima and her husband question (passage before the last) i found the most challenging mostly because the god dam supervisor announced 10 minutes are left and i lost focus/panicked S3 wasn't bad few next in the series were quit challenging overall impossible to tell how well i didn't or what score am expecting to get could be as low as 150 or as high as 190 at-lest i can FINALLY! focus in my Lc and put all the hpat worries aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

And that's the end of that chapter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I dunno how I did or how I felt it was, I might hazard a guess at okay! S1 was mostly okay, very little calculations though! I was grand in it until the bee head-butting question, I clearly didn't have a clue what was going on there, each answer of my answers contradicts the preceeding one! S2 was worryingly ambiguous as everyone said it would be, a good few of the questions I could narrow down to 2 possible answers but it was just guessing after that! S3 went okayish, I got out a good few of them but at the same token there was a lot of guessing in the pick the middle ones especially!

Also I went to the toilet at the start of S2 (cause I'm least caught for time during that section) and while trying too get out of my table and chair I tripped and fell in front of everyone! Mortified!

I dunno how I did or how I felt it was, I might hazard a guess at okay! S1 was mostly okay, very little calculations though! I was grand in it until the bee head-butting question, I clearly didn't have a clue what was going on there, each answer of my answers contradicts the preceeding one! S2 was worryingly ambiguous as everyone said it would be, a good few of the questions I could narrow down to 2 possible answers but it was just guessing after that! S3 went okayish, I got out a good few of them but at the same token there was a lot of guessing in the pick the middle ones especially!

Also I went to the toilet at the start of S2 (cause I'm least caught for time during that section) and while trying too get out of my table and chair I tripped and fell in front of everyone! Mortified!
    Yeah! only one calculation about the leap year thing which i just guessed was kind of surprised expected more and section 3 had no number type patters or lettres which im very gratufull for

ahmdoda wrote: »
    Yeah! only one calculation about the leap year thing which i just guessed was kind of surprised expected more and section 3 had no number type patters or lettres which im very gratufull for

Actually what did you choose for the leap-year answer I said 365+1/4-1/100+1/400 but it was purely a guess. I only other calculation along with that was the proportion of men and women employed but that was very easy really!

• Advertisement

Actually what did you choose for the leap-year answer I said 365+1/4-1/100+1/400 but it was purely a guess. I only other calculation along with that was the proportion of men and women employed but that was very easy really!
    yeah just remember that im like you completely guessed it as i know working it out would take to much of my time considering my maths abilities cant remember which on i guessed something like 365+1/4 something

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

ye i said 365 + 1/4 +1/100 - 1/400. i think one contradicts another so at least one of them was a minus. But I don't understand what the minus means.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Tis done! Now we can put it to the back of our minds till June 24th! :D Hopefully we'll all cross paths again in ten years time at some doctor's conference thingy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Section 1 - Very happy :) I thought the puzzles were simple compared to the practice ones I'd been doing! Only guessed 1 or 2 (1 being the Leap Year thing -I couldn't grasp that at all)

Section 2 - was harder than I had thought. As people have said, everything was very ambiguous, moreso than last year. I found the passage about the woman and the head teacher to be very challenging...

Section 3 - Overall ok.. They had a clever version of the missing segments on ******** which was more difficult.. Got a few pick the middles so I'm happy enough..

What's the most frustrating thing about this exam is there is no closure. No exam paper to scrutinize afterwards, not knowing what was wrong or right. So when your results come you can't help but feel a sense of injustice as you do not know where you went wrong (or right).

Good Luck in June all...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

DepoProvera couldnt have said it better myself, realisticly we all have absolutely no notion of how well we did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

I'm truly delighted it's over so I can fully concentrate on the LC but I wish we knew our results sooner, June seems like ages away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 abipom

in section 1 what was the nix nax nux question about? whatbthe hell is a nix?

abipom wrote: »

I think it was all to do about the positioning of the line (or lack of it) so there were tangental, intersecting and in some cases no lines at all, so you had to figure out what made them a nix or whatever and go from there!

really forget about it for now as their is no point knowing you got a question wrong will only stress you more plus with no answer key published we really dont know the right or the wrong answer

• Registered Users Posts: 10 abipom

I think it was all to do about the positioning of the line (or lack of it) so there were tangental, intersecting and in some cases no lines at all, so you had to figure out what made them a nix or whatever and go from there!

but what is a nix? is it an irish word? (i am from the uk)
    (i guessed A for both of them)

but what is a nix? is it an irish word? (i am from the uk)
    (i guessed A for both of them)

Oh it's a nonsensical word made up by the people who set the HPAT, it has no meaning, they use nix, nax, nox etc or something like gileys, hileys and rileys because they sound alike and people might get mixed up. But the words themselves don't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

were you in kampus kitchen in Ucc by any chance?! :L

Glee_GG wrote: »
    were you in kampus kitchen in Ucc by any chance?! :L

Ohhh the shame! If I get into UCC Medicine everyone will remember me as the person who tripped and fell in the HPAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I really don't want to analyse every question or I'll drive myself crazy.

S1 was good, S2 no idea, S3 I had to guess about 5.

I'm hopeful but not confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Ohhh the shame! If I get into UCC Medicine everyone will remember me as the person who tripped and fell in the HPAT!

well you seriously brightened up my day, not that thats much consolation to you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

That was shite. Section 1 was absolutely class, I had done the questions on the naxes, the one with the dog muzzles, the king's scheme for the traitors, the magician and the shapes, the one with the timber and the pipes all before and I found everything else pretty manageable.

Section 2 was crap, felt very unsure about almost everything, had seen the question on the brain scans before think I got that right at least.

Section 3 was a disaster, think I got a huge amount wrong, really struggled on timing as well and I ended up rushing the last ten or so. Dunno what happened normally not so bad at it.

Upsetting not only because I'm a repeat but that the exam was much easier than last years especially S2!

Well done to everybody who did well today! Dreading the thought of having to sit the exam for a third time. Feeling better already, I was distraught when I came out of the exam but it could be worse I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

That was shite. Section 1 was absolutely class, I had done the questions on the naxes, the one with the dog muzzles, the king's scheme for the traitors, the magician and the shapes, the one with the timber and the pipes all before and I found everything else pretty manageable.

Section 2 was crap, felt very unsure about almost everything, had seen the question on the brain scans before think I got that right at least.

Section 3 was a disaster, think I got a huge amount wrong, really struggled on timing as well and I ended up rushing the last ten or so. Dunno what happened normally not so bad at it.

Upsetting not only because I'm a repeat but that the exam was much easier than last years especially S2!

Well done to everybody who did well today! Dreading the thought of having to sit the exam for a third time. Feeling better already, I was distraught when I came out of the exam but it could be worse I guess.

Don't worry about it, you probably did a lot better than you thought.

How have you done the questions before? Quite unfair really. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

0mega wrote: »
    How have you done the questions before? Quite unfair really. :p

I know it's crazy, just accumulated loads of material over time. After the exam last year some people said they had seen some questions from S1 before. Dunno how it happens, you'd think ACER would come up with all the material themselves, obviously not though.

thats crazy! is the material from prep courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

everyone seems to have found section 1 easy, i found it super hard :L section 3 was grand:)

i found NO section easy :/ found myself second guessing almost every question.... Med entry turned me into way too much of a sceptic

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Queerwan

Realised too late that I had forgotten to full in the test venue on my booklet, saw it on someone else's after I'd handed mine up! Anyone know if that's a biggie or not? :/

Queerwan wrote: »
    Realised too late that I had forgotten to full in the test venue on my booklet, saw it on someone else's after I'd handed mine up! Anyone know if that's a biggie or not? :/

I don't really think so, like if they really needed it they would've had the letter grid below and you'd have to shade in the appropriate circle. But why didn't you just do it in the first place when the invigilator asked everyone to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Queerwan

I don't really think so, like if they really needed it they would've had the letter grid below and you'd have to shade in the appropriate circle. But why didn't you just do it in the first place when the invigilator asked everyone to?

Phew hopefully! Honestly didn't hear it was waiting and waiting for it then just forgot.. Only saw it on someone else's when mine had been handed up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Only just home after leaving at 6:30am this morning! Although its quite difficult to predict exactly how you done, I don't think I done as well as I'd hoped. Section 1 was okish; some questions definitely threw me. Section 2 went very well for me surprisingly! (or at least I think it did) Section 3 was just woeful! Time ran out so I guessed the last 5 questions. I'm happy its over though and at least I know what to expect next year since I'm almost certain I'll be repeating it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement