Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Well that's that over.

OK, I thought Section 1 was easier than ME, probably on a par with practice tests. Looking back on it I've already realised one stupid mistake I made so I'm refusing to analyse it anymore. Happy enough with it, got it done in time, made educated guesses on questions I had difficulty with. I was surprised at Section 2, I thought it'd be a lot harder than I found it, in my opinion it was on a par with Practice Test 2. There were quite a few questions where I was stuck between two options but overall I was happy enough with it. Section 3 made me a fair bit less happy. The Next in Sequence/Missing Segment questions were OK, trickier than I expected though, and Pick the Middle was a bit eeeehhh too. Like I had to guess quite a few of them, especially as I left it until last.

Overall, I'm reasonably happy. I'm very glad it's over! I have no idea how I did but I'm not gonna think about it too much until the end of June. No point overanalysing it now, it's over and that's the main thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jdaly2012

Does anybody know roughly how the hpat is scored. such as if you do really bad in 1 section of the exam and okish in the other 2 how it will affect your overall mark? basically is all hope lost :(

That was shite. Section 1 was absolutely class, I had done the questions on the naxes, the one with the dog muzzles, the king's scheme for the traitors, the magician and the shapes, the one with the timber and the pipes all before and I found everything else pretty manageable.

Section 2 was crap, felt very unsure about almost everything, had seen the question on the brain scans before think I got that right at least.

Section 3 was a disaster, think I got a huge amount wrong, really struggled on timing as well and I ended up rushing the last ten or so. Dunno what happened normally not so bad at it.

Upsetting not only because I'm a repeat but that the exam was much easier than last years especially S2!

Well done to everybody who did well today! Dreading the thought of having to sit the exam for a third time. Feeling better already, I was distraught when I came out of the exam but it could be worse I guess.

Ah here, don't beat yourself up about it. It seems like you found Section 1 to be very good, that's great! And there's every chance you could do well in S2 and honestly, most people I talked to afterwards found S3 hard, and it's most likely not marked like a regular exam, it's all relative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Coming from someone who didn't do a prep course, I though it was pretty tough but not impossible.

Section 1 was pretty good, really thought it was representative of the practice tests.

Section 2 was hard. Pretty ambiguous and I was left guessing between two answers.

Section 3 was alright, except for the pick the middles. About 4 out of the 10 completely stumped me, although I was never much good at them.

So fingers crossed for a decent score. But then again, I could've gotten a terrible score, and I just don't know because that's the HPAT. :pac:

Well done to everyone, and my advice is DON'T DWELL ON IT, it's over and done and hopefully I'll be seeing some of you in either NUIG or UCC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

jdaly2012 wrote: »
    Does anybody know roughly how the hpat is scored. such as if you do really bad in 1 section of the exam and okish in the other 2 how it will affect your overall mark? basically is all hope lost :(

There is no set score for each question.

Not all questions are equal, so you don't get one mark for answering each question.

Instead what they do is they weight them. They will get a % of how many people in the country answered a question correctly - and from that they will weight the scores.

So if 60% of the country got Q1 correct, then 1 mark is given for that question.
    If 90% of the country got Q2 correct, then 0 is given for that question.
    If 10% of the country got Q3 correct, then 3 marks will be given for that question.

(The numbers I am giving above are arbitrary and are not accurate, I am just using them to explain the idea of weighting scores.)

So the marks you get are always in comparison to the peers sitting the exam on that day that year...

Also, no one section compensates for any other section. So universities don't consider if you do well in section 1 versus section 2, its just an overall percentile of the weighted marks that will decide what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

section 3 was easy.only guessed 1 or 2.. section 2 ambiguous and 1 was grand .i thought the question with cooking grams and tempereature a bit weird tho

what if you get pretty much full marks in one section and then ok in the other two? how would that fair out?

amicus wrote: »
    what if you get pretty much full marks in one section and then ok in the other two? how would that fair out?

Add the three marks (S.1,S.2 and S.3) out of one hundred together, and viola! You have your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chocice94

after coming back home 10 mins ago. Thinks i faired alrite although i cant compare it to last years one because even though i did it, i cudnt remember last years paper cause thats how much effort i put in to mentally block it out :p though i reckon i did better this time around! S3 was a bit dodgy though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chocice94

SueGrabbit wrote: »
    There is no set score for each question.

Not all questions are equal, so you don't get one mark for answering each question.

Instead what they do is they weight them. They will get a % of how many people in the country answered a question correctly - and from that they will weight the scores.

So if 60% of the country got Q1 correct, then 1 mark is given for that question.
    If 90% of the country got Q2 correct, then 0 is given for that question.
    If 10% of the country got Q3 correct, then 3 marks will be given for that question.

(The numbers I am giving above are arbitrary and are not accurate, I am just using them to explain the idea of weighting scores.)

So the marks you get are always in comparison to the peers sitting the exam on that day that year...

Also, no one section compensates for any other section. So universities don't consider if you do well in section 1 versus section 2, its just an overall percentile of the weighted marks that will decide what you get.

thats just a rumor made up by all these prep course companies, theres no actual proof that it happens so we can only go by ACER's word in relation to marking which is approx 2.27 per Q in S1, approx 2.7 per Q in S2 and approx 3.33 per Q in S3 ( this was calculated by dividing 100 by the no of questions in each section as this is what ACER does state ! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Add the three marks (S.1,S.2 and S.3) out of one hundred together, and viola! You have your score.

That just made my day :pac: I'm going to use that instead of the French "voila" from now on, because it sounds cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭En

Anyone here do it in the smurfit business school in UCD blackrock?

That moronic landwhale(exceptionally obese) of a supervisor yelled stupid stuff for at least 4 minutes consecutively during each section on a terrible mic and nobody could concentrate on any of the questions. Especially frustrating for sec 1 & 2. Worse yet we got out a half an hour after all of the other centres due to the same piece of blubber.

For me, Section 1 went very well, I think i scored almost perfectly but we all know how things can turn out >.>

A lot of the answers in section 2 had vocabulary I didn't understand ;~;. I usually guessed between two answers so I could of done very well or very poorly

I felt like I got everything right in section 3 except for the pick the middles, which I left to last and ended up having to guess 3 of them because I was running out of time. Thanks a bunch landwhale

I would estimate around 160~ just because I have a horrible feeling I got everything wrong in section 2 :(
    Only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

En wrote: »
    Anyone here do it in the smurfit business school in UCD blackrock?

That moronic landwhale(exceptionally obese) of a supervisor yelled stupid stuff for at least 4 minutes consecutively during each section on a terrible mic and nobody could concentrate on any of the questions. Especially frustrating for sec 1 & 2. Worse yet we got out a half an hour after all of the other centres due to the same piece of blubber.

For me, Section 1 went very well, I think i scored almost perfectly but we all know how things can turn out >.>

A lot of the answers in section 2 had vocabulary I didn't understand ;~;. I usually guessed between two answers so I could of done very well or very poorly

I felt like I got everything right in section 3 except for the pick the middles, which I left to last and ended up having to guess 3 of them because I was running out of time. Thanks a bunch landwhale

I would estimate around 160~ just because I have a horrible feeling I got everything wrong in section 2 :(
    Only time will tell

I did, I was sitting in the fifth row, with one person in front, and was getting the draft from the door when it opened, I was frozen! And before section 1 ended she announced that no one was allowed out to the bathroom until section 2, right after I had put up my hand! :( After that she got on my nerves a wee bit :/

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Yeah she was off putting such a joke, completely distracted me for the section 3

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

IT'S DONE. Not gonna think much about it, no expectations at all. Gonna enjoy the rest of me time in Dublin:-D

Btw yay for meeting early at UCD and going to the wrong frakin' test hall..yeah that was me if anyone was wondering xP

0mega wrote: »
    I'm hopeful but not confident.

My sentiments precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SanManJan

KristineKJ wrote: »
    IT'S DONE. Not gonna think much about it, no expectations at all. Gonna enjoy the rest of me time in Dublin:-D

Btw yay for meeting early at UCD and going to the wrong frakin' test hall..yeah that was me if anyone was wondering xP

Tatt turen fra Norge du og ja? :) Hvilket rom satt du på?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

^Det har jeg vettu:-) tidig å møte en annen nordmann her inne. Satt i examination centre på UCD. Du da?? Hvorfor valgte du å prøve irland? Og hvor i norge er du fra??:)

I dunno how I did or how I felt it was, I might hazard a guess at okay! S1 was mostly okay, very little calculations though! I was grand in it until the bee head-butting question, I clearly didn't have a clue what was going on there, each answer of my answers contradicts the preceeding one! S2 was worryingly ambiguous as everyone said it would be, a good few of the questions I could narrow down to 2 possible answers but it was just guessing after that! S3 went okayish, I got out a good few of them but at the same token there was a lot of guessing in the pick the middle ones especially!

Also I went to the toilet at the start of S2 (cause I'm least caught for time during that section) and while trying too get out of my table and chair I tripped and fell in front of everyone! Mortified!
    Do you remember how many questions came with the headbutting passage?

Do you remember how many questions came with the headbutting passage?

Four I think..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

So upset! feel i blew it! i am just so annoyed with myself that i let the hopes of medicine this year out the window!
    at least i am now determined to do the best leaving cert ever! there's always next year!

Anyone love that question with the compass key thing

Anyone love that question with the compass key thing

was that the one where you put the number pegs in it?

Every time I come in here I'm scared I'll come across some discussion of a q and I'll realise that I got it horribly wrong. :p I've driven myself crazy in the past analysing exams after they're done and just will not do it for the HPAT. Might just stay away from this thread for a few days. :p

Slow Show wrote: »
    Every time I come in here I'm scared I'll come across some discussion of a q and I'll realise that I got it horribly wrong. :p I've driven myself crazy in the past analysing exams after they're done and just will not do it for the HPAT. Might just stay away from this thread for a few days. :p

haha yeah! might do the same!
    we really should stop the HPAT Talk now and move on to the leaving cert :P
    And to commence, what is everyone's study schedule? i think i will do 4-10 each day with lots of breaks and including homework! Not sure if i would burn out though! what do ye think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Agree completely, let's not drive ourselves crazy by analysing individual questions. If I see that I got one wrong that I thought I got right I will be devastated. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Yeh I saw a question that I may have gotten wrong.. I completely blanked the lines in the nix question and just went by the writing :/ oh well, it's over now. I don't think I did really well but anyway now it's time to concentrate on the leaving!

Yeh I saw a question that I may have gotten wrong.. I completely blanked the lines in the nix question and just went by the writing :/ oh well, it's over now. I don't think I did really well but anyway now it's time to concentrate on the leaving!

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID. I saw it being discussed and got a horrible sinking feeling. I don't want that feeling many more times. :p Nice to know I'm not alone in the boat though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID. I saw it being discussed and got a horrible sinking feeling. I don't want that feeling many more times. :p Nice to know I'm not alone in the boat though. :)
    Well I definitely got one part out by using the writing so maybe it's right.. Hopefully! What's done is done so we may as well forget about it!

• Advertisement

That makes 3 of us. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement