Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

As best as I remember the question asked how the nurse acted in the paragraph (not how the patients saw the nurse) so I said Supportive because although the words ring hollow in the ear of the patient there was no indication that the nurse herself wasn't being genuinely supportive herself. That's how I interpreted the question anyway but I could easily be totally off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

As best as I remember the question asked how the nurse acted in the paragraph (not how the patients saw the nurse) so I said Supportive because although the words ring hollow in the ear of the patient there was no indication that the nurse herself wasn't being genuinely supportive herself. That's how I interpreted the question anyway but I could easily be totally off!
    yes i love u .i proved my friend,wrong xx

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I said clinically realistic.

The patient clearly didn't find her advice supportive and I didn't think that that there was anything 'superficial' about her 'optimism'. I am very possibly wrong, but I said clinically realistic as he would be able to 'handle the wheelchair', but it wasn't what he wanted to hear as he saw it as a life sentence and didn't gain any optimism or support from her comment.

That's my take on it, but I'm definitely no expert at S2. The more I think about it, the worse I think that I did..

0mega wrote: »
    I said clinically realistic.

The patient clearly didn't find her advice supportive and I didn't think that that there was anything 'superficial' about her 'optimism'. I am very possibly wrong, but I said clinically realistic as he would be able to 'handle the wheelchair', but it wasn't what he wanted to hear as he saw it as a life sentence and didn't gain any optimism or support from her comment.

That's my take on it, but I'm definitely no expert at S2. The more I think about it, the worse I think that I did..
    This is how ambiguous this section was..it was from her point of view not the patients i think though

As far as i can remember anyway .:)

• Advertisement

amicus wrote: »
    This is how ambiguous this section was..it was from her point of view not the patients i think though

Yeah, it depends on what point of view you look at it from.. I can't remember how the question was phrased so I took it as the patients as it seemed logical after we read how he felt after the comment. Could go either way.

Yeah, it depends on what point of view you look at it from.. I can't remember how the question was phrased so I took it as the patients as it seemed logical after we read how he felt after the comment. Could go either way.
    everything will be fine :)

everything will be fine :)

Here's hoping, it would be great if everyone on this thread gets in! :D

Has Kristine come back from Ireland yet? I'm interested to hear what she made of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

and yes here's me still thinking about the hpat.dont think im alone however
    haha no your not but i put supportive! ????? wasn't sure either though. :P

Tais toi ou alors va te faire foutre :p
    sniff sniff.
    well that's not very nice, is it? :P

• Advertisement

sniff sniff.
    well that's not very nice, is it? :P
    Ha chui désolé mon ami :p

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Here's hoping, it would be great if everyone on this thread gets in! :D

Has Kristine come back from Ireland yet? I'm interested to hear what she made of it all.

Whoop, Kristine is back from Ireland. Loved Dublin. The hpat was...interesting. haha. I took the bus from O'Connell street at 08 on Saturday and arrived in Blackrock 08.15 :P Soo, went for a walk in the park, took some pictures and found my way to UCD around 9. Still I managed to go to the wrong exam center (uhm, I thought there was only one in UCD), and stayed there talking to a boy from Derry. And only realized I was in the wrong place when we got inside for registration and he pointed out I was supposed to be at the examination centre..yeah, THEN I freaked out and got at nervous and stressed out (as we were adviced not to get lol), and ran lost until a lady pointed me in the right direction. Yup, about everyone was seated when I showed up, so if anyone was wondering, that was me :rolleyes:

I'm really not sure how it went, so many mixed feelings. I was mostly worried about the timing for S1 and rushed through it in 50min, but afterwards I couldn't decide if I went with gut feeling more than my logic. S2 had me down at too many questions where I couldn't decide between two answers so I really don't know. Was relieved though for I was able to comprehend all the words. S3 was alright I think. But that may be a bad sign...I tend to find logical patterns that are wrong...funny enough I found the pick the middle ones easiest and the last questions the hardest. Oh well. I figure either I did alot of crap or it went average. Either way no expectations at all.

Throwing in a photo of me from O'Connell street ^^ Anyone see me?

269eb269-b795-4f96-8949-feb67ea3ed73_zpsfc1f6ab7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

@KristineKJ I remember you coming in to the exam hall! I was in the second row from the front near the door so everything caught my attention :P Hope you enjoyed yourself here! :)

Ahh well, can't say the same for myself. I was stressed out finding everyone seated :P I did enjoy myself, especially after the hpat :D

Even bumped into the guy I spoke to before the hpat afterwards and showed him the way to the bus (whoo my sense of direction is awesome), but now I can't find him on facebook cause there's so many with his name. I mean..there's only one in the world with my full name :P

Otherwise quite satisfied but I should have brought home more alcohol (which is waaay more expensive in Norway) ;P

KristineKJ wrote: »
    Ahh well, can't say the same for myself. I was stressed out finding everyone seated :P I did enjoy myself, especially after the hpat :D

Even bumped into the guy I spoke to before the hpat afterwards and showed him the way to the bus (whoo my sense of direction is awesome), but now I can't find him on facebook cause there's so many with his name. I mean..there's only one in the world with my full name :P

Otherwise quite satisfied but I should have brought home more alcohol (which is waaay more expensive in Norway) ;P

WHHAAATT?? Alcohol is more expensive in Norway than Ireland?! We consider alcohol in Ireland to be fairly expensive (or at least I do anyway! ;) )

Just an example

pint of beer (at a pub or likewhere)

Ireland: 4-5euro
    Norway: 10-12euro

and

1L Baileys (shop)

Ireland: 12-15euro
    Norway: 30-40euro

the only thing that is cheeper in Norway I think is higher education...it's free :P Same with healthcare. But we've got high taxes though to make that possible.

Just an example

the only thing that is cheeper in Norway I think is higher education...it's free :P Same with healthcare. But we've got high taxes though to make that possible.

Okay I'd never survive in Norway ;)

But yeah there is definitely something to be said for free university and healthcare!

Just an example

and

1L Baileys (shop)

Ireland: 12-15euro
    Norway: 30-40euro

What? :O that is shocking and i thought it was dear here! Haha all pioneers in Norway presumably!

Ha chui désolé mon ami :p
    Its okay amicus! I forgive you...
    You seem like a nice guy/girl :-P

Its okay amicus! I forgive you...
    You seem like a nice guy/girl :-P
    Guy :D ye im a nice guy yano yourself. Or maybe you dont ha

• Advertisement

Guy :D ye im a nice guy yano yourself. Or maybe you dont ha

:D me too. haha ah well hopefully i will get to find out myself in university! :P haha.
    btw , your french is really good! A1?

What? :O that is shocking and i thought it was dear here! Haha all pioneers in Norway presumably!

Haha, you should have thought. But we've got higher wages in average as well remember. And everyone who wants to get a job can get one...so many young people working beside school and studies.

Like, I work parttime at a bakery and work about 4 days a month (7-8h shifts), and get paid like, about 550-600 euros.

Haha, you should have thought. But we've got higher wages in average as well remember. And everyone who wants to get a job can get one...so many young people working beside school and studies.

Like, I work parttime at a bakery and work about 4 days a month (7-8h shifts), and get paid like, about 550-600 euros.

If When (positivity! ;) ) you do medicine, Ireland is gonna be a serious culture shock for you ;) Have you decided in what order the medicial schools are going on your CAO yet?

:D me too. haha ah well hopefully i will get to find out myself in uvuniversity! :P haha.
    Got it in the mocks.i spent few months over there in transition and having a girlfriend really helped ha :p wbu?

:D me too. haha ah well hopefully i will get to find out myself in university! :P haha.
    Ucd or trinity first?i live right beside ucd and like the idea of premed

Ucd or trinity first?i live right beside ucd and like the idea of premed. Cant afford to be fussy however

If When (positivity! ;) ) you do medicine, Ireland is gonna be a serious culture shock for you ;) Have you decided in what order the medicial schools are going on your CAO yet?

I like the positivity :) Yeah, some cultural shock naturally, but I'm very aware of the conditions in Ireland (and the UK too for that matter), and also very adaptable. And I'm really sick of my country and all the rude people here I at this stage any change is good change :) I hate my job too even if I get money. The working conditions are so bad, and so many grumpy norwegians. And I feel like all I do is serve sugary food to people who don't need it.

Feel so done with all my previous hobby societies as well. I used to play olympic handball but I never really had any friends on the team. And I've played in brass bands since I was 6, but I finally feel like I'm satisfied with that as well.

I don't have a good relationship with my parents and I live in an apartment in my grandparent's house. They're really good friends with loads of irish people, and they are tour managers for some irish musicians (Andrea Rice and band) in Norway every summer.

So yeah, that's alot of whining from my side. Point is, if I get the opportunity in Ireland I'd take it without a second thought :) hmm..would miss the amazing tap water in Norway though, but that's about it :P

I've tried not to be too ambitious, so I put Cork first, then Galway and then all the others just to have them on the list :P Also, I'd love to go to a smaller place than Dublin which is another reason for choosing Cork. The whole idea about Trinity kinda freaked me out from the beginning, so that was never really on my mind. Was still debating UCD though, but I still feel Cork was the right thing to put first as that appealed the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

FINALLY.

Some off-topic discussion. :D

I like the positivity :) Yeah, some cultural shock naturally, but I'm very aware of the conditions in Ireland (and the UK too for that matter), and also very adaptable. And I'm really sick of my country and all the rude people here I at this stage any change is good change :) I hate my job too even if I get money. The working conditions are so bad, and so many grumpy norwegians. And I feel like all I do is serve sugary food to people who don't need it.

Feel so done with all my previous hobby societies as well. I used to play olympic handball but I never really had any friends on the team. And I've played in brass bands since I was 6, but I finally feel like I'm satisfied with that as well.

I don't have a good relationship with my parents and I live in an apartment in my grandparent's house. They're really good friends with loads of irish people, and they are tour managers for some irish musicians (Andrea Rice and band) in Norway every summer.

So yeah, that's alot of whining from my side. Point is, if I get the opportunity in Ireland I'd take it without a second thought :) hmm..would miss the amazing tap water in Norway though, but that's about it :P

I've tried not to be too ambitious, so I put Cork first, then Galway and then all the others just to have them on the list :P Also, I'd love to go to a smaller place than Dublin which is another reason for choosing Cork. The whole idea about Trinity kinda freaked me out from the beginning, so that was never really on my mind. Was still debating UCD though, but I still feel Cork was the right thing to put first as that appealed the most.

Wahey! I'll see you in Cork if when I get in next September ;)

• Advertisement

Ucd or trinity first?i live right beside ucd and like the idea of premed. Cant afford to be fussy however

class, well done :) haha i suppose it would ;)
    trinity for me :) but i honestly don't care where. :P
    how did your mocks go btw?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement