Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

amicus wrote: »
    Preferably this year :)

Haha indeed. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

ugh such a wait for chemistry haha . monday :p in the meantime maths mock next week.anyone like this financial mahts?its actually not bad

ugh such a wait for chemistry haha . monday :p in the meantime maths mock next week.anyone like this financial mahts?its actually not bad

good luck :) yeah i like financial maths too,

good luck :) yeah i like financial maths too,
    thanks bravv..you done all yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Just wondering, when you study for like 3 hours, what do you get done? Like say how many chapters/topics would you get done?

• Advertisement

Just wondering, when you study for like 3 hours, what do you get done? Like say how many chapters/topics would you get done?
    It really depens. maybe a section in physics..mechanics including exp..few chapters in maths..or 1 big section.differentiation.. And 5 or 6 bio chapters.i dont do too much for languages..mainly just vocan for french.spend half hour on that..irish maybe half hour per poem . Its really hard to say i guess.ivz maths next week for example so ill prob just do that , music practical stuff and some language stuff ha

thanks bravv..you done all yours?

i am surely thank god! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I haven't really studied that much to be honest although I am around the 500 mark (probably around 520) in my mocks. Not bad for no study! When I study it takes me so long to get settled and then so long to do one thing.. I used to be brilliant at just sitting down and doing whatever needed to be done but I swear TY made me so lazy! Argh serious work needed to be done.. Although I know I can definitely bring 3/4 grades up with some study so hopefully I'll just start working now.
    Also how can you study for so long and not be tired? I get so much homework that sometimes I'm not finished until 11pm.. And I only do the absolutely necessary homework.. I am exhausted all the time and can hardly do anything!
    Leaving cert problems.. :P

I haven't really studied that much to be honest although I am around the 500 mark (probably around 520) in my mocks. Not bad for no study! When I study it takes me so long to get settled and then so long to do one thing.. I used to be brilliant at just sitting down and doing whatever needed to be done but I swear TY made me so lazy! Argh serious work needed to be done.. Although I know I can definitely bring 3/4 grades up with some study so hopefully I'll just start working now.
    Also how can you study for so long and not be tired? I get so much homework that sometimes I'm not finished until 11pm.. And I only do the absolutely necessary homework.. I am exhausted all the time and can hardly do anything!
    Leaving cert problems.. :P
    I dont do homework ;) and i wouldnt do 3 hrs in a row.take a break.seriously though i do nothing compared to some people.i know people who stay up till 1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Slow Show wrote: »
    THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID. I saw it being discussed and got a horrible sinking feeling. I don't want that feeling many more times. :p Nice to know I'm not alone in the boat though. :)

This is precisely why I avoided this thread for AGES.
    ...but then I read thru every page like an idiot :/
    Since we're jumping in with results, I thought i'd post mine. :P

Biology: A1 - 92% :D
    Chemistry A1 - 96% :D
    Physics - Awaiting
    Applied Maths A1 - 92%
    Maths A2 - 87% :/
    Irish A1 - 91% :D(Got 96% in paper 2 :O )
    English - Awaiting
    Spanish A2 - 86% :/

Iomlán : 605 :D (so far)

And dayyyuuuuuummmmmmm. Those are some results. I should've repeated my LC with 7 subjects instead of 6. Silly and unnecessary risk.... And now it's too late. Sigh.

Bleddy buggers wouldn't give me 0.20% in each of physics and chemistry to give me my A1. -.-

Qui sera, sera. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Applications for medicine are also down this year, by 6.5%.

Hallelujah!
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0309/375779-teaching-applications/

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

So, between 3,500 - 4,000 applied for medicine last year so based on that, it's roughly between 3250-3750 this year. Doesn't sound like a massive drop but could mean that we won't see a big increase if any in points this year! :D

0mega wrote: »
    So, between 3,500 - 4,000 applied for medicine last year so based on that, it's roughly between 3250-3750 this year. Doesn't sound like a massive drop but could mean that we won't see a big increase if any in points this year! :D

I'm guessing that they'll remain quite steady. Sure if they went up any higher they'd be far too high to reach. Also, med isn't like other courses where people can change their mind at the last minute because hpat! So the numbers who applied to it will stay exactly as they are or perhaps decrease ;)

I'm guessing that they'll remain quite steady. Sure if they went up any higher they'd be far too high to reach. Also, med isn't like other courses where people can change their mind at the last minute because hpat! So the numbers who applied to it will stay exactly as they are or perhaps decrease ;)

Yeah, there's about 500 places for medical schools in Ireland (excluding Limerick) so based on the 3,250 - 3,750 estimate: we have a 13-15% of applicants will get offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

These statistics come with a health warning because if you look at last years one the grad med and undergrad applicants were lumped in together, so if there is a 6.5% drop that isn't instantly transferable to say there was a 6.5% drop in people doing the HPAT. In fact it would be more likely that majority of that percentage drop came from grad med applicants due to the costs associated with grad med, however because grad med applicants make up a smallish cohort of the total amount of people applying for med, it would've had to have been a large drop in grad med to bring it down 6.5% overall or else it is a mixture of the two group. But what I'm trying to say is that these figures aren't fully clear and that in a worst case scenario the amount of undergrad applicants may well have stayed the same or increased a slight bit but is disguised by a possible drop in grad med applicants. That's my two cents on the whole thing anyway!

These statistics come with a health warning because if you look at last years one the grad med and undergrad applicants were lumped in together, so if there is a 6.5% drop that isn't instantly transferable to say there was a 6.5% drop in people doing the HPAT. In fact it would be more likely that majority of that percentage drop came from grad med applicants due to the costs associated with grad med, however because grad med applicants make up a smallish cohort of the total amount of people applying for med, it would've had to have been a large drop in grad med to bring it down 6.5% overall or else it is a mixture of the two group. But what I'm trying to say is that these figures aren't fully clear and that in a worst case scenario the amount of undergrad applicants may well have stayed the same or increased a slight bit but is disguised by a possible drop in grad med applicants. That's my two cents on the whole thing anyway!

Ah no! Completely left the graduates out of the equation, you may well be right.

You're more than likely correct. I didn't think too deeply into it but they seem like a very good possibilities! I'd say it was a slight decrease in both groups. After all, its been difficult to avoid all the horror stories released in the press about junior doctors and the HSE this past year especially. Theres one almost once a week about insane hours, depression, suicides...

These are the sort of assumptions they crucify you for in the HPAT ;)

Also in the Indepent article, it mentions a drop in mature applicants in general, so while it doesn't mention grad med, it would sort of give credence to the idea that it's the grad med who are seeing the biggest drop rather than undergrad!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cao-race-is-on-as-students-target-courses-linked-to-new-economy-29119033.html

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Delighted with that annocement. Think you guys are being a bit pessimistic though. I didn't realise that graduate medicine i.e. those doing the GAMSAT instead of the HPAT had to apply via the CAO. I thought they just had to apply through the relevant HEIs ? (Section 2 optimism :) !!! )

I agree though. Hopefully the points should stay fairly steady . . .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There will probably be a full 'proper' press release on Monday. Weekends tend to be a slow time for news so you get the made up and cobbled together stories.

• Advertisement

Does the 3481 first preferences include grads?and how many places are there for undergrads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Does the 3481 first preferences include grads?and how many places are there for undergrads?

Is 3481 the figure for 2013? It's 500+~ places for undergrad. Little over 100 per school on average.

These are 2012 the statistics http://www2.cao.ie/app_stats/pdf/appstats01feb2012.pdf those 1st prefs inlcude GEM applicants.

I'm looking forward to getting the actual CAO statistics release, as it's the percent decline in those applying with it as 1st preference that really counts.

ye its exciting stuff boys ha . do repeats get there results earlier than the leaving certs?

Nope, just the mature students getting their's earlier this year.

id nearly rather get my results before the results at this stage.the wait..hopefully ill forget about it soon enough

Another more detailed article from the Journal.ie, it says applications for medicine, pharmacy and dentistry all saw drops in applicants, if so then that would put a different spin on things, and it may well be that the amount of undergrad applicants for med is dropping!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

May be a bit of a latecomer to this thread, but the news of the drop in med applicants simply had to make me butt in :rolleyes: Certainly seems like a fair trade for the months of intensive hpat study :D Good job with the mocks everyone, I'd say we can all defo do it!

Hey Guys!
    This may not be the correct place for this but i thought i'd ask here seen as it is full of all ye intelligent folk!
    Has anyone any good A1 standard essays on Emigration and/or Cyber-bullying for Irish?
    You see, my teacher has a policy; write it yourself! and while this may seem fair, for me, i would much prefer to learn off-by-heart, an already A1 answer. so if anyone has any links or if they could email me an answer? I would be ever so grateful.
    Over and Out,
    Jason

• Advertisement

Hey Guys!
    This may not be the correct place for this but i thought i'd ask here seen as it is full of all ye intelligent folk!
    Has anyone any good A1 standard essays on Emigration and/or Cyber-bullying for Irish?
    You see, my teacher has a policy; write it yourself! and while this may seem fair, for me, i would much prefer to learn off-by-heart, an already A1 answer. so if anyone has any links or if they could email me an answer? I would be ever so grateful.
    Over and Out,
    Jason
    I will hav one bout next wee
    k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement