Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

amicus wrote: »
    I will hav one bout next wee
    k

That would be fantastic! :D i will owe you one! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

That would be fantastic! :D i will owe you one! :P
    yes u will good sir.i dont know how but ye haha

yes u will good sir.i dont know how but ye haha

haha. well when we do medicine i will do one of your assignments ? :P lol .
    ah no, thanks though. :D

haha. well when we do medicine i will do one of your assignments ? :P lol .
    ah no, thanks though. :D
    Id probably be so happy bout getting in id wana do them all myself haha

Id probably be so happy bout getting in id wana do them all myself haha

hahaha exactly why i'd wanna do yours! :P lol. oh god, i want medicine so bad!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Full CAO stats for anyone who didn't see them on the LC OT thread! Doesn't say much extra though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Full CAO stats for anyone who didn't see them on the LC OT thread! Doesn't say much extra though!

Pharmacy, law and vetinary down a good bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Anyone know off the top of their head how many places are available roughly for Pharmacy? Just curious as it's my second choice and I can't find the figure for UCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Does anyone have any idea when the HPAT results are released for mature students?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Does anyone have any idea when the HPAT results are released for mature students?

Sometime in April, I think it was said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Medme

End of April apparently, they didn't give an exact date thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Maybe this should be obvious to me but, as the hpat results are released they will be directly transferred to the CAO right? We wont need to send them or anything?
    And when will we be given the final info of whether we got in anywhere or not?

no excuses not to get med now hahaha jk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

KristineKJ wrote: »
    Maybe this should be obvious to me but, as the hpat results are released they will be directly transferred to the CAO right? We wont need to send them or anything?
    And when will we be given the final info of whether we got in anywhere or not?

Yup they'll be given directly to the CAO, you don't need to do anything.

First round offers are the Monday after the Leaving Cert results come out, which I think is August 14th this year, so the CAO offers will be the 19th of August. Second round offers come out about 10 days after this, with subsequent offers at the university's discretion after that. The offers usually appear early in the morning on your online CAO form and Irish candidates also get a paper version in the post that day (not sure about post to Norway!).

Yup they'll be given directly to the CAO, you don't need to do anything.

First round offers are the Monday after the Leaving Cert results come out, which I think is August 14th this year, so the CAO offers will be the 19th of August. Second round offers come out about 10 days after this, with subsequent offers at the university's discretion after that. The offers usually appear early in the morning on your online CAO form and Irish candidates also get a paper version in the post that day (not sure about post to Norway!).

Thanks. That's late though, but uni starts earlier in Norway (16th of August this year).

Thanks. That's late though, but uni starts earlier in Norway (16th of August this year).

Wow ye don't waste time in Norway! The academic uni year in Ireland starts somewhere towards the end of September, almost the start of October and finishes up in around April, when does Norway finish?

Wow ye don't waste time in Norway! The academic uni year in Ireland starts somewhere towards the end of September, almost the start of October and finishes up in around April, when does Norway finish?

lol we finish around the 20th of June. I suppose I'll just have to start on me second year in human nutrition anyways then and see what the results are when I get them. Not sure how I should do it with student loans and stuff..hmm.

lol we finish around the 20th of June. I suppose I'll just have to start on me second year in human nutrition anyways then and see what the results are when I get them. Not sure how I should do it with student loans and stuff..hmm.

That's one long college year! Do ye get many breaks throughout the year? Really though I suppose the shortness of the Irish university year is a bit excessive, in all realism by making the year longer they could cut about a year off every course! Then again though the Universities wouldn't like that as they'd lose money then!

At least though when you get your HPAT you will get some idea if your close to getting medicine in Ireland or not!

That's one long college year! Do ye get many breaks throughout the year? Really though I suppose the shortness of the Irish university year is a bit excessive, in all realism by making the year longer they could cut about a year off every course! Then again though the Universities wouldn't like that as they'd lose money then!

At least though when you get your HPAT you will get some idea if your close to getting medicine in Ireland or not!

3 weeks for christmas and then 2 weeks easter. That's about it I suppose. But a few days off now and then and relatively short days. It's about the same as the rest of the school system in Norway only they've got two more breaks. lol but then uni is free in Norway so they probably want us to wrap up sooner. Not the case with medicine though, that's 6 years everywhere in the country.

Yeah I suppose the hpat would more or less tell me if there's anything to hold on to. Already dreading the result day, cause expectations or not I'll be devastated when, oh no stay positive if I don't make it.

3 weeks for christmas and then 2 weeks easter. That's about it I suppose. But a few days off now and then and relatively short days. It's about the same as the rest of the school system in Norway only they've got two more breaks. lol but then uni is free in Norway so they probably want us to wrap up sooner. Not the case with medicine though, that's 6 years everywhere in the country.

Yeah I suppose the hpat would more or less tell me if there's anything to hold on to. Already dreading the result day, cause expectations or not I'll be devastated when, oh no stay positive if I don't make it.

I'd just like to find out as quick as possible about the HPAT, I can't stand it hanging over my head all this time! Like clearly it's not that they don't have them corrected if the mature students get them in April!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'd just like to find out as quick as possible about the HPAT, I can't stand it hanging over my head all this time! Like clearly it's not that they don't have them corrected if the mature students get them in April!

I don't know, seeing as it's basically impossible to get into medicine with a hpat score not in the 70th+ percentile (realistically a lot higher I know). That means that most people are gonna be disappointed with their score when they get it, which I know doesn't put a lot of people off (my attitude was even if it is a bad score I'll work hard at the leaving cert so at least I only have to repeat the hpat), but a lot of people were super bummed about it as well and I'd say it can really throw some people, which is horrible before the exams.

How many points to the different uni's to people speculate for this year? Like, how many points added to last years points?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

How many points to the different uni's to people speculate for this year? Like, how many points added to last years points?

I'd say very little, maybe 2 or 3 points at most. Realistically, it can't go up much more..!:(

I don't envisage very much, last year was just exceptional in that the 25 points for HL Maths came in which because of diminished points for >550 meant an almost automatic rise of 5 on top of whatever incremental rise in the HPAT (because the HPAT results have been tending to rise year on year) now though because LC points will stay largely static, the rise in HPAT point is starting to level out and a (possible) fall in applicants for undergrad medicine I would say that it's most likely that at best they'll stay static (I can't really imagin a fall, ever unfortunately) or at worst rise maybe 2 or 3 points, but nothing drastic, I'd imagine this year isn't gonna really rock the boat in any manner!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Eurovisionmad expert on everything hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Agree with everyone else really, can't see it changing much. If it rises it will only be due to a rise in HPAT scores, Leaving cert points aren't going to bring it up any higher I think.

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    Eurovisionmad expert on everything hahahahahaha

I'll take that as a compliment, I really like thinking and finding out about these things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

I actually read something which noted that on average last year's HPAT results were slightly worse than the ones in 2011. Since the LC points would remain the same (most likely), can the minimum entry points not go down by 1 or 2 points? (I know... Wishful thinking!! :eek:)

Also would a total score of 745 be safe for Medicine this year then? (Well all except TCD and UCD?)

I know that with Medicine, until you get that CAO offer, you're never really safe!! :eek: So it's kinda frustrating, studying for the LC like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AislingFH

pokkyoc wrote: »
    I actually read something which noted that on average last year's HPAT results were slightly worse than the ones in 2011. Since the LC points would remain the same (most likely), can the minimum entry points not go down by 1 or 2 points? (I know... Wishful thinking!! :eek:)

Also would a total score of 745 be safe for Medicine this year then? (Well all except TCD and UCD?)

I know that with Medicine, until you get that CAO offer, you're never really safe!! :eek: So it's kinda frustrating, studying for the LC like this...

Most likely yes, you would be sorted with 745!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

pokkyoc wrote: »
    I actually read something which noted that on average last year's HPAT results were slightly worse than the ones in 2011.

I think they were yeah, but not by much. And I think the hpat was a good bit easier this year than last year.

With the drop in applicants as well 745 should be safe, but every year people people have said on here "Oh it won't go up by another 10 points like last year" :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement