Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

This whole speculation about points is completely inaccurate. I know that it is nice to give a go at guessing, but guessing is all it is.
    I mean, this could be a super intelligent year or it could be the contrary.
    Let's all just try our very very best and see where it gets us.
    But one can always dream of a decrease in points........ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Does anyone know what Dentistry is expected to be like?

I'm not going to be applying till 2014, but I'm hoping the points wont be rising too much from 590, which it is now for tcd, and 585 for Cork.

I'm live up north so for A levels 2A*'s and 2A's give you 595, but 3A*'s and 1A give you 610, so I'm hoping I don't have to chase that extra A* because its very hard to do (90%+ average).

I see the number of applicants have dropped for Dentistry also, but I fear by 2014 both Cork and Tcd will go over 600 as its current trajectory suggests. :(

I'm not going to be applying till 2014, but I'm hoping the points wont be rising too much from 590, which it is now for tcd, and 585 for Cork.

I'm live up north so for A levels 2A*'s and 2A's give you 595, but 3A*'s and 1A give you 610, so I'm hoping I don't have to chase that extra A* because its very hard to do (90%+ average).

I see the number of applicants have dropped for Dentistry also, but I fear by 2014 both Cork and Tcd will go over 600 as its current trajectory suggests. :(

I don't think it could ever go over 600. The maximum with higher level maths is 625 but for everyone else it is 600. It would never happen! never! :)
    Also, that is a long way off. don't worry, work very hard and have lots of fun!
    There is always ways.
    After all, "where there is a will, there is a way"
    But the very best of luck to you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

yeah 590 is already crazy high i really have a strong feeling that the hpat would be introduced as a requirement for dentistry like the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

ahmdoda wrote: »
    yeah 590 is already crazy high i really have a strong feeling that the hpat would be introduced as a requirement for dentistry like the UK

Probably won't be anytime soon though. Bringing in something like the hpat costs a fortune and there's so few places here it's difficult to justify the cost of it. Only 287 people have Dentistry as their first choice this year (a lot more people mention it, but that includes both schools + the amount of people applying would probably drop off a bit if such a test were introduced. A lot of people would probably be sitting the hpat as well and wouldn't really be up for sitting both exams). There's 3,000+ people sitting the hpat and it still costs €110. So God knows what such a test would cost for Dentistry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Wishing all ye irish folk a happy St Patrick's Day :)

KristineKJ wrote: »
    Wishing all ye irish folk a happy St Patrick's Day :)

This time next year, you will be celebrating with us :P

Hey Guys,
    Remember we were speculating as to where the fall in medicine applicants fell? Well, from what i read on UCD's website, it is undergraduates that have fallen:
    Human Health
    Demand for medicine fell nationally by 6%. At UCD, first preference demand rose by almost 4% with a very strong growth of 40% in the graduate entry to medicine (DN401) compensating for the slight fall in undergraduate medicine (DN400).

If this is the case on the whole, then i believe excitement may be in order!
    Given the drop in applicants, the HPAT seemingly being easier than last year, and the extra bonus points in maths already accounted for,
    I highly doubt there will be any increase in points and maybe even a drop.
    Note: I am a hypocrite as i said above that we shouldn't speculate but this information gave me a little joy and i had to share. It was may mean nothing and just be the case in UCD. but Hey, here's hoping! I also look so sad posting this at 9:30 on paddy's night! I am spending the evening researching routes into Medicine instead of going drinking. Any excuse to not study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

my last night out was last night :( vivement les grandes vacances!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Hey Guys,
    Remember we were speculating as to where the fall in medicine applicants fell? Well, from what i read on UCD's website, it is undergraduates that have fallen:
    Human Health
    Demand for medicine fell nationally by 6%. At UCD, first preference demand rose by almost 4% with a very strong growth of 40% in the graduate entry to medicine (DN401) compensating for the slight fall in undergraduate medicine (DN400).

If this is the case on the whole, then i believe excitement may be in order!
    Given the drop in applicants, the HPAT seemingly being easier than last year, and the extra bonus points in maths already accounted for,
    I highly doubt there will be any increase in points and maybe even a drop.
    Note: I am a hypocrite as i said above that we shouldn't speculate but this information gave me a little joy and i had to share. It was may mean nothing and just be the case in UCD. but Hey, here's hoping! I also look so sad posting this at 9:30 on paddy's night! I am spending the evening researching routes into Medicine instead of going drinking. Any excuse to not study!

He's right everyone (it's here!) I'm also rocking a night in, not because I didn't want to go out but because I couldn't get ID, hate being under age :(

• Advertisement

He's right everyone (it's here!) I'm also rocking a night in, not because I didn't want to go out but because I couldn't get ID, hate being under age :(

yes, yes i am right! :P
    oh stop. i haven't ID either. I am able to go to the pub but all my friends are going to the club so i can't go... and also, i can't study when i'm hungover. so.....

amicus wrote: »
    got an a1 in chemo.finally got the result lol

well done! :)
    iron tablet one?

yes, yes i am right! :P
    oh stop. i haven't ID either. I am able to go to the pub but all my friends are going to the club so i can't go... and also, i can't study when i'm hungover. so.....

I'm surprisingly productive after nights out, I always wake really early the next morning and have loads of energy, no matter how much I drink I don't tend to get hangovers!

haha yeah .marker was a bit on the scabby side too :D

and i just had maths on thursday. was better than i thought it would be

I'm surprisingly productive after nights out, I always wake really early the next morning and have loads of energy, no matter how much I drink I don't tend to get hangovers!

Yeah, the night after was the first hangover i got! but i have been out twice since then and i got them! it is horrible! and no pain killer cures it! i am giving up drinking! :P

and i just had maths on thursday. was better than i thought it would be

That is good so! oh the highest in my maths class was 57% i got 54

yeah i heard they were terrible..the clothing paper?

yeah i heard they were terrible..the clothing paper?

indeed it was.
    we were told as long as you get 30, you are capable but not working hard enough

waat??thats ridiculous. so much for making maths "easier" haha

• Advertisement

waat??thats ridiculous. so much for making maths "easier" haha

yeah i know! :P
    haha, it is weird kind of maths. nothing terribly difficult when you see it done but it is more understanding what they require of you. :P
    did you find P1 hard?

yeah i know! :P
    haha, it is weird kind of maths. nothing terribly difficult when you see it done but it is more understanding what they require of you. :P
    did you find P1 hard?

ive only done paper 1 so far. a few badly phrased questions such as the drawwing the moduli graphs on the "same axes and scale" so the graphs came out horizontal..they must of meant do it elsewhere but i did what they said haha..and the clothing question took a while but i got it.think i forgot to go back over the last part and then the financial last part was quite unusual .again what they were asking for wasnt very clear

ive only done paper 1 so far. a few badly phrased questions such as the drawwing the moduli graphs on the "same axes and scale" so the graphs came out horizontal..they must of meant do it elsewhere but i did what they said haha..and the clothing question took a while but i got it.think i forgot to go back over the last part and then the financial last part was quite unusual .again what they were asking for wasnt very clear

jesus, your mocks are going on forever! :P
    oh well if you found that okay, you will love P2 :)
    yeah we hadn't done financial maths, or even if you can believe it, most of staistics and no arithmetic so P1 was a balls for me! :P
    Any signs of that Irish essay :P actually, leave it till well after your mocks. that is unfair of me! :)

ive one on irish language and education so far

we're only covering about 5 themes

I seem to be the only one in the country who did better in maths P1 than P2! I dunno what went wrong in paper 2 for me!

ive one on irish language and education so far

well whenever you get a free time, or something like that, i would really be forever grateful. as i said, my teacher isn't good at helping us! :(
    but if it is too difficult for you to send them or that it is okay :) i really could do with one on cyberbullying and internet etc. i have a good feeling it will come up! :D

I seem to be the only one in the country who did better in maths P1 than P2! I dunno what went wrong in paper 2 for me!

haha really? i suppose it does depend on your mood too! ya have to be in the "thinking state"

we're going to be doing one on emigration soon anyway .and technology so il get back to you on that braavvvv

• Advertisement

we're going to be doing one on emigration soon anyway .and technology so il get back to you on that braavvvv

thanks a million! your a star! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement