Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

amicus wrote: »
    ive one on irish language and education so far

i would deeply appreciate it if i could get this! Its the one topic that we just haven't covered at all!

We've one on the internet and cyberbulling down, i think my teacher actually got if off some site on the internet (ironic i know) because he felt it was really good so i'll try to find the link and post it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

can't find the site with the irish essay right now but came across this site, seems pretty good tbh, you could put a couple of paragraphs together and make up a decent enough essay! http://www.mccgaeilge.com/Aist%ED%20-%20Essays%20-%20Proper.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cupertinokiid

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times before but can someone explain to me how the british system for getting into medicine works? what colleges use the BMAT exam and what ones use the UKCAT? what time of the year are these tests held and is there anything else i need to know about medicine in the UK ? if anyone is so kind to elaorate please do so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times before but can someone explain to me how the british system for getting into medicine works? what colleges use the BMAT exam and what ones use the UKCAT? what time of the year are these tests held and is there anything else i need to know about medicine in the UK ? if anyone is so kind to elaorate please do so :P

Hey, I've gone through the whole UK system this year and hoping to receive some offers within the next week or two. Send me a PM with your questions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Phew, done with the medical statistics exam. Hope to god you've nothin' of the sort in Ireland ahha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

94 in maths.how does this compare with the future junior doctors?

most people in the year failed .think the average was a d2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I got 92%, sure both are A1's all the same ;) I definitely could've done better in paper 2 though, my Paper 1 was awesome and then Paper 2 was only alright! Ironically it was the DEB exam that everyone found Paper 1 impossible and Paper 2 really easy!

I got 92%, sure both are A1's all the same ;) I definitely could've done better in paper 2 though, my Paper 1 was awesome and then Paper 2 was only alright! Ironically it was the DEB exam that everyone found Paper 1 impossible and Paper 2 really easy!

ye man im the same.i prefer paper 1 aswell nearly hah

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Twinsies! Somehow MAGICALLY managed to scrape up the full 625 in the mocks. Hoping that a mysterious unheard-of-before loophole opens up in the system which will allow me to swap whatever I get in the actual LC with my mock results :D

• Advertisement

man twinsies indeed .so did i :D

Everyone here is way too smart. I don't think I'll get medicine based on LC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

0mega wrote: »
    Everyone here is way too smart. I don't think I'll get medicine based on LC now.

I was actually happy with my results before I checked this thread today! Now, not so much :/

you dont need 625 guys..sure i wasa bit lucky.you're grand if you get 570 plus in your leaving..mocks arent that representative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

And there was me, naively thinking i did well. How are you so smart?
    To be fair, i was focused on the hpat and my mocks were cram-the-night-before jobs :P
    Come up 100 points and i shall be on par. Challenge accepted!

And there was me, naively thinking i did well. How are you so smart?
    To be fair, i was focused on the hpat and my mocks were cram-the-night-before jobs :P
    Come up 100 points and i shall be on par. Challenge accepted!
    I did both..u cant study all day for hpat anyway like .. I have an essay on the gathering by the way but i duno how i can give it to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

And here I was happy with 615 in my mocks. :pac:
    Nah, I still am. I missed out on the A1 in maths by 4 marks, which momentarily disheartened me. :P

I did both..u cant study all day for hpat anyway like .. I have an essay on the gathering by the way but i duno how i can give it to you

Well yeah, that was my excuse. I regret it now :(
    Oh that would be great! is it typed? could you Email it to me? :)

Well yeah, that was my excuse. I regret it now :(
    Oh that would be great! is it typed? could you Email it to me? :)
    It aint typed ..ill pm u in the morn my son..

That would be great! much appreciated. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

How much study do you guys do a day? 615 and 625.. those are unreal like. How can I compete with that :eek:

0mega wrote: »
    How much study do you guys do a day? 615 and 625.. those are unreal like. How can I compete with that :eek:

Yes, that would be interesting to know. somehow i don't think they do that much. From experience those people who get them sort of points are naturally intelligent. yes, they work hard but maybe not as hard as those who get 550ish points. Now, i am not talking about these people in specific as i don't know, but in my school and other people i know, that is the case. I have to work so hard to get good marks, while others just have it. But don't get me wrong, they do work hard too.... do ya get me.
    Anyway, i sound complete idiot so i am going to stop.

Re: study during Easter,
    what are everyone's plans? some might say this is excessive, but i know what i need to do:
    Beginning today, 9am-2pm, 3pm-8pm, 9pm-11pm everyday bar Easter Sunday and the Sunday before we go back to school.
    I am going to get the whole chemistry course and 75% of the biology course revised. And for the rest, focus on my Oral exams.

Also, as a matter of interest, is anyone on here applying to study medicine abroad other than the UK? If so, where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lads wtf, I got 585 and thought I did unreal. :L

In fairness though I know quite a few people going for med and most of them haven't broken 550 in the mocks or anything like it. Which says absolutely nothing, mocks are not standardised exams and all that, but there's no need to be discouraged by them!

In other news I wish I was like really, really gifted at Maths. I mean the most I'd ever expect to get in the LC is a B1, with the extra points it'd really boost the score. Oh well I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

what are everyone's plans? some might say this is excessive, but i know what i need to do:
    Beginning today, 9am-2pm, 3pm-8pm, 9pm-11pm everyday bar Easter Sunday and the Sunday before we go back to school.
    I am going to get the whole chemistry course and 75% of the biology course revised. And for the rest, focus on my Oral exams.

That sounds a bit excessive to me but I'm not really intending on doing much Biology/Chemistry as I think my time would be better spent on other areas. I really hope I'll have the will to get up early, hopefully I'd get up at 9 and maybe do three blocks of study eg 9-12, 2-5, 7-10. But not everyday, I'll be taking next weekend off and most of today as I'm a tad hungover. :p And maybe a light enough day mid-week to ease it up a bit. Anyway I dunno like, great if that works out for you but I find after two or three days of that kind of study the world becomes a horrible place and it's nearly impossible to keep it up.

Oh and I'll be focusing on orals, going over Irish essays and Gafa, and doing quite a few English essays. Oh and Maths, always Maths! SO MUCH MATHS. Other than that just bits and pieces from my other subjects!

Yes, that would be interesting to know. somehow i don't think they do that much. From experience those people who get them sort of points are naturally intelligent. yes, they work hard but maybe not as hard as those who get 550ish points. Now, i am not talking about these people in specific as i don't know, but in my school and other people i know, that is the case. I have to work so hard to get good marks, while others just have it. But don't get me wrong, they do work hard too.... do ya get me.

You do realise that is 12 hours a day? That's insane. If I was doing that now I would surely burn out by the time June comes around... will you really be able to do that day in, day out? There's barely even enough time to eat with that schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Insanity. It'll do more harm than good I reckon. Take it easy, this is the last bit of time to relax you'll have till it's all over. I'm gonna do 4 hours a day max and take weekends off. For your own good, don't overload yourself. You know more than you think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

I'd say my key to success was recognising when I DO need a break. Natural intelligence is a bonus and all, but I'd say if I just worked worked worked worked I would've eventually cracked and panicked and failed the mocks. My mocks were the week after the midterm, and during the midterm itself I took 3 days out of the 9 to do absolutely nothing. Don't know if it'll work for others, but keeping cool calm and collected was definitely what allowed me to work efficiently and getting there. Ahhh that's my study tip for the day done, off to do Japanese Oral Work :P

i dont really have a timetable..i wake up around ten..do a science sublect for bout 2 hours..i generally get alot done in that 2 hours.then i do music or maths and a language..ive already covered both the chem and biology courses except ecology for my mocks so wont need to spent too much time on any single chapter..maths i just need to go over statistics and probability really.im not counting english so not killing myself for that..for orals you cant do too much either..just a little bit every few days..remember it'll pretty much only be basic stuff they ask you especially in irish unless you guide them in an abstract direction..french isnt as easy in that they can go randomly off topic but not for long. im practicing music every day just perfecting things..im not going to kill myself over easter..breaks are essential que ce soit pplaying computer games and listening to music or exercise ,going out etc.. :D

• Advertisement

Well they are all valid points but that is what my teachers advised. This is, after all, the last break we have before the leaving cert. if i don't utilize the time now, i know i will regret it come june. It may not work but i will give it a damn good go! :P And hopefully the work will pay off.
    We are doing the other maths mock after the easter and she wants us all to come up a good 30% so i will have to get cracking on that. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement