Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

comeclosa wrote: »
    I'd say my key to success was recognising when I DO need a break. Natural intelligence is a bonus and all, but I'd say if I just worked worked worked worked I would've eventually cracked and panicked and failed the mocks. My mocks were the week after the midterm, and during the midterm itself I took 3 days out of the 9 to do absolutely nothing. Don't know if it'll work for others, but keeping cool calm and collected was definitely what allowed me to work efficiently and getting there. Ahhh that's my study tip for the day done, off to do Japanese Oral Work :P

It is so cool that you study Japanese!!! :O I wish I had the opportunity! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

It is so cool that you study Japanese!!! :O I wish I had the opportunity! :)
    Not gonna lie it is pretty awesome! :D

Not gonna lie it is pretty awesome! :D

haha deadly! and is it like the same standard as spanish would be? like is it only basic or has it all the climate change vocab etc? :P

haha deadly! and is it like the same standard as spanish would be? like is it only basic or has it all the climate change vocab etc? :P
    I'd say it's like JC Spanish/German/French! (Unless LC Spanish is basic as hell and here I am breaking my back with German) Like.. You learn basic things about food, family, school, weather, the body parts and going to the doctor. So.. Like the JC languages but in Japanese.

I'd say it's like JC Spanish/German/French! (Unless LC Spanish is basic as hell and here I am breaking my back with German) Like.. You learn basic things about food, family, school, weather, the body parts and going to the doctor. So.. Like the JC languages but in Japanese.

Ah that is so cool! and is your teacher Irish? it would be funny hearing an irish accent speaking jap. :P haha

• Advertisement

Ah that is so cool! and is your teacher Irish? it would be funny hearing an irish accent speaking jap. :P haha
    Nope, she's an actual Japanese lady. Ironically though, the Japanese text book was written by a German lady who lives in Ireland. Getting her as my oral examiner in a few weeks time actually! The legend, in person. :cool:

Nope, she's an actual Japanese lady. Ironically though, the Japanese text book was written by a German lady who lives in Ireland. Getting her as my oral examiner in a few weeks time actually! The legend, in person. :cool:

Haha that is cool. And presumably you learn how to write it as in all the symbols etc??? eexcuse my stupidity! i would love to take it up during college :D
    oh wow! pressure is on so! :P haha i would imagine there are very few oral examiners... so is it easy to get an A or is it hard seen as the standard deviation would be soo low???

just looked up the LC aural sound file and paper.. it looks so cool and sounds it too! i am well jel! :P

Haha that is cool. And presumably you learn how to write it as in all the symbols etc??? eexcuse my stupidity! i would love to take it up during college :D
    oh wow! pressure is on so! :P haha i would imagine there are very few oral examiners... so is it easy to get an A or is it hard seen as the standard deviation would be soo low???

Well, I got an A1 in the mocks so.. Here's hoping! It's genuinely not too bad. And you cannot possibly learn ALL the symbols. Well, in Japanese there's 3 alphabets, the Hiragana, Katakana and the Kanji. The Hiragana is like the basic one, like our abc's, and you learn that off from the beginning and from there on you form the rest of your knowledge. Katakana is used to write foreign loan words like "hamburger" into Japanese. And Kanji has 1000+ characters, it's where a different character denotes a different word. We learn around 100 of those, plus the other two. But in the exam, there's a full Katakana comprehension which makes it SO handy if you've learnt them off at the time. Because it's basically reading like "Feisbukku, Konpyutta, Inteneeto" :rolleyes:

Well, I got an A1 in the mocks so.. Here's hoping! It's genuinely not too bad. And you cannot possibly learn ALL the symbols. Well, in Japanese there's 3 alphabets, the Hiragana, Katakana and the Kanji. The Hiragana is like the basic one, like our abc's, and you learn that off from the beginning and from there on you form the rest of your knowledge. Katakana is used to write foreign loan words like "hamburger" into Japanese. And Kanji has 1000+ characters, it's where a different character denotes a different word. We learn around 100 of those, plus the other two. But in the exam, there's a full Katakana comprehension which makes it SO handy if you've learnt them off at the time. Because it's basically reading like "Feisbukku, Konpyutta, Inteneeto" :rolleyes:

ah that is truly awesome! I so wish i had that opportunity! :( so you will be able to practice medicine in Japan if you keep the learning up! ;)
    "Feisbukku, Konpyutta, Inteneeto" what do they mean? facebook?

ah that is truly awesome! I so wish i had that opportunity! :( so you will be able to practice medicine in Japan if you keep the learning up! ;)
    "Feisbukku, Konpyutta, Inteneeto" what do they mean? facebook?

Doing 5 languages for the LC, brain will be fried afterwards :P And for the words: Facebook, computer, internet :D

• Advertisement

Doing 5 languages for the LC, brain will be fried afterwards :P And for the words: Facebook, computer, internet :D

WHAT?? jaysus, japanese, german, irish, english and what else?? :O so are you doing sciences? obviously one anyway.. fair play!
    i do spanish, i absolutely love it!!! :D
    haha i was actually going to say computer... didn't get the internet one though :P
    i was trying to learn some whilst watching the grudge lol

WHAT?? jaysus, japanese, german, irish, english and what else?? :O so are you doing sciences? obviously one anyway.. fair play!
    i do spanish, i absolutely love it!!! :D
    haha i was actually going to say computer... didn't get the internet one though :P
    i was trying to learn some whilst watching the grudge lol

Got out of Irish because foreign priveleges ;) Japanese, English, German, Russian and Lithuanian. And I'm doing Bio and Chem out of the sciences... then Geography (instead of Irish), Maths obviously and Economics just for the laugh. Got 100% in the Chemistry mock actually, pretty happy bout that! My teacher's just fantastic, big box of candy for her at the end of the year :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

ten subjects???????????????????????????????????????

10 a1s in the mock or wat?

Got out of Irish because foreign priveleges ;) Japanese, English, German, Russian and Lithuanian. And I'm doing Bio and Chem out of the sciences... then Geography (instead of Irish), Maths obviously and Economics just for the laugh. Got 100% in the Chemistry mock actually, pretty happy bout that! My teacher's just fantastic, big box of candy for her at the end of the year :P

WOW!!! you really like languages! what nationality are you if you don't mind me asking :) jesus 10 subjects! fair play. wow you are good in chemistry! i have an excellent chemistry teacher too. i aced all bar organics :( that is what i am focusing on during easter. chemical bonding, trend is period table etc i hate it ! :(

amicus wrote: »
    ten subjects???????????????????????????????????????

two of which are my native languages. don't judge. ;) Mock wise it was 8. I'm just sitting the exams in Rus and Lit, not doing them in school.

WOW!!! you really like languages! what nationality are you if you don't mind me asking :) jesus 9 subjects! fair play. wow you are good in chemistry! i have an excellent chemistry teacher too. i aced all bar organics :( that is what i am focusing on during easter. chemical bonding, trend is period table etc i hate it ! :(

I'm half Russian half Lithuanian :P Also I LOVED Organics. Thermochemistry is like my baby! Not too fond of Water or Electrochemistry, them two are shnakes in the grass :P

I'm half Russian half Lithuanian :P Also I LOVED Organics. Thermochemistry is like my baby! Not too fond of Water or Electrochemistry, them two are shnakes in the grass :P

ah cool! so the languages should be fine! :) really? oh i also love theromchem although it is not really full scale organic. you can still learn a lot of it off. i think that was one of my best q's in the mock :P i love water and only after doing electrochem now, so not too sure! :P

if you look at the past papers electro chem doesnt feature much and when it does some physics knowledge if you do it gets you by but its also essentially the same question..water is winning ;) and any stoichiometry on the paper and orgy

ah cool! so the languages should be fine! :) really? oh i also love theromchem although it is not really full scale organic. you can still learn a lot of it off. i think that was one of my best q's in the mock :P i love water and only after doing electrochem now, so not too sure! :P

All but Lithuanian, it's an exam DESIGNED for native speakers so they catch you out as much as possible. :( I was filling in a scholarship form today and it asked for projected LC results and Lithuanian was the only one I didn't put down an A1 for. (Tbh I think I aimed a bit high with an A2!) ... We did thermochemistry right in the middle of Organic, it was like: alkanes alkenes alkynes BOOM Octane Number Hess' Law HEAT OF COMBUSTION!!! :mad: But nonetheless it was a grand chapter. And I know I'll get judged for this, but I always always always manage to get caught out on a BOD calculation. :/

• Advertisement

All but Lithuanian, it's an exam DESIGNED for native speakers so they catch you out as much as possible. :( I was filling in a scholarship form today and it asked for projected LC results and Lithuanian was the only one I didn't put down an A1 for. (Tbh I think I aimed a bit high with an A2!) ... We did thermochemistry right in the middle of Organic, it was like: alkanes alkenes alkynes BOOM Octane Number Hess' Law HEAT OF COMBUSTION!!! :mad: But nonetheless it was a grand chapter. And I know I'll get judged for this, but I always always always manage to get caught out on a BOD calculation. :/

ahhhh i see. pity :/ hahaha. oh sure with chemistry, whatever will be, will be :)
    goodluck in your oral

so you're gonna be the guy/girl who finally gets 10 a1s :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

We knew him/her before he/she was famous! :pac:

im very positive and optimistic

thought my 7 was impressive hahaha...feel retarded now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

What can a person who spends most of their boards time in the off-topic say then ?:P

Good luck to ye guys ;) .

wow no pressure there guys :(

i shuda done 10 subjects haha

dont even have a chance do try haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

In fairness Electrochemistry barely ever comes up and even if it does you can just avoid it, our teacher has decided she's not teaching it, I hope she's made the right decision!

Also is anyone else really worried that we're going to get a horrible Section A in Chemistry this year, as last year (in my opinion anyway) they got the easiest questions, like preparation of Ethene, titrating Sodium carbonate and HCl, and determining the relative molecular mass of a gas!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement