Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

In fairness Electrochemistry barely ever comes up and even if it does you can just avoid it, our teacher has decided she's not teaching it, I hope she's made the right decision!

Also is anyone else really worried that we're going to get a horrible Section A in Chemistry this year, as last year (in my opinion anyway) they got the easiest questions, like preparation of Ethene, titrating Sodium carbonate and HCl, and determining the relative molecular mass of a gas!

i reckon maybe winkler which isnt my favourite . and ethyne hopefuly but who knows.itl be the same for everyone else anyway.id recommend you study electro..itl only be half part but its so easy and maybe you wouldnt be able to do one of the other parts in q.10 or 11 ..think most people go for those questions

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

In fairness Electrochemistry barely ever comes up and even if it does you can just avoid it, our teacher has decided she's not teaching it, I hope she's made the right decision!

Also is anyone else really worried that we're going to get a horrible Section A in Chemistry this year, as last year (in my opinion anyway) they got the easiest questions, like preparation of Ethene, titrating Sodium carbonate and HCl, and determining the relative molecular mass of a gas!

Kinda gutted that RMM of a volatile liquid won't come up now, it was SUCH a nice non-organic non-titration expt. I'm actually kinda hoping for Ethanal/Ethanoic Acid and one of the Redox titrations. But I would cry in the exam if in Section A they threw a curveball and gave like an utterly disgusting Q3, like idk chromatography or Le Chatelier's expts or "Studying some Redox Reactions" :| GOD those experiments just need to leave already. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

comeclosa wrote: »
    Kinda gutted that RMM of a volatile liquid won't come up now, it was SUCH a nice non-organic non-titration expt. I'm actually kinda hoping for Ethanal/Ethanoic Acid and one of the Redox titrations. But I would cry in the exam if in Section A they threw a curveball and gave like an utterly disgusting Q3, like idk chromatography or Le Chatelier's expts or "Studying some Redox Reactions" :| GOD those experiments just need to leave already. :D

I could be wrong on this but I don't think Le Chatlier's will come up anymore in Section A, but I could be wrong! I think it's because you don't have to physically do them anymore, I think anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I could be wrong on this but I don't think Le Chatlier's will come up anymore in Section A, but I could be wrong! I think it's because you don't have to physically do them anymore, I think anyway!

You can't physically do the preparation of ethanol/ethanoic acid either though and they'd hardly leave those out. :/

We're not doing Electrochemistry either, I may have a look through it myself though if it's not too daunting. Is anyone else not doing the option? We're definitely not and I was almost gonna do it myself but it looks incredibly dull (I looked at Option 1, Atmospheric Chemistry looks fine but the Industrial one looks like a bit of a snoozefest) so I think I'll leave it out altogether.

Slow Show wrote: »
    You can't physically do the preparation of ethanol/ethanoic acid either though and they'd hardly leave those out. :/

We're not doing Electrochemistry either, I may have a look through it myself though if it's not too daunting. Is anyone else not doing the option? We're definitely not and I was almost gonna do it myself but it looks incredibly dull (I looked at Option 1, Atmospheric Chemistry looks fine but the Industrial one looks like a bit of a snoozefest) so I think I'll leave it out altogether.

I'm doing the option, teaching it to myself off the teacher's notes since the rest of the class doesn't want to do it, bar me and one other girl. And it's actually quite the opposite, you can get through industrial in half an hour but atmospheric is a DRAG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Does anyone know for honours maths, when you have to prove sine and cosine rule, do we just need to know the regular triangle proof or must we know the two ways. you know the other one where the triangle has an obtuse angle :)

both man

amicus wrote: »
    both man

crap. thanks :)

If anyone wants to take a look at this report from the Department of Education that came out today, among other things it talks about changing the grade brackets from B1, B2 and B3 to just a B, and wider undenominated courses than there are today. However on page 27 that's the part that interests me, it talks about "Entry into healthcare professional programmes" and one point is about the HPAT and changing that, which we've heard before! But the point that makes me a bit nervous is
    A consideration of whether or not very high demand courses in the health professions should only be available as graduate-entry programmes.

Firstly I think that's a total money making racket on Mr Quinn and the Universities part. It's well known that Medicine as a course is one of the most expensive courses, and clearly both the state and the universities have a financial interest in making it postgrad only as the financial burden then falls on the student rather than the state as it is for undergrad :( (the student contribution is really only a small bit of the full cost) with gradmed you hear of people being caught with huge debt for a very long time so I think very few people would prefer going down that route!

Also, gradmed tends to be (I know people are going to eat me for saying this) easier to get into than getting in undergrad, well it has a higher acceptance rate anyway, but if everyone has to go in at gradmed then it creates a sort of crush of people trying to get in (more so than now!) and then you wouldn't have any alternative, potentially easier, rout to try and get in!

Having said all that, I still have this year and next to get in on the current system so I suppose I won't start all out panicking yet ;)

If anyone wants to take a look at this report from the Department of Education that came out today, among other things it talks about changing the grade brackets from B1, B2 and B3 to just a B, and wider undenominated courses than there are today. However on page 27 that's the part that interests me, it talks about "Entry into healthcare professional programmes" and one point is about the HPAT and changing that, which we've heard before! But the point that makes me a bit nervous is

Firstly I think that's a total money making racket on Mr Quinn and the Universities part. It's well known that Medicine as a course is one of the most expensive courses, and clearly both the state and the universities have a financial interest in making it postgrad only as the financial burden then falls on the student rather than the state as it is for undergrad :( (the student contribution is really only a small bit of the full cost) with gradmed you hear of people being caught with huge debt for a very long time so I think very few people would prefer going down that route!

Also, gradmed tends to be (I know people are going to eat me for saying this) easier to get into than getting in undergrad, well it has a higher acceptance rate anyway, but if everyone has to go in at gradmed then it creates a sort of crush of people trying to get in (more so than now!) and then you wouldn't have any alternative, potentially easier, rout to try and get in!

Having said all that, I still have this year and next to get in on the current system so I suppose I won't start all out panicking yet ;)

i will not worry about that yet! :P is the HPAT definitely in for next year? and can we repeat it? :)

• Advertisement

i will not worry about that yet! :P is the HPAT definitely in for next year? and can we repeat it? :)

Well it didn't say anything on the matter but as nothing has changed so far I presume we can still repeat!

Well it didn't say anything on the matter but as nothing has changed so far I presume we can still repeat!

hopefully :)
    btw, are you male or female? do you mind saying. i can usually tell but you puzzle me haha

hopefully :)
    btw, are you male or female? do you mind saying. i can usually tell but you puzzle me haha

I'm male, but gay if that might've put you off the trail a bit ;) LOL

I'm male, but gay if that might've put you off the trail a bit ;) LOL

ah interesting how i could tell from your posts that it was a bit mixed. that's cool man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

Hello, I am currently a 3rd year student. I will be a 5th year student next year (skipping TY). And ever since I was a little child I wanted to be a doctor.

I already picked my subjects: English,Maths,Polish,Geography,Biology,Chemistry and Physics. I have some questions though :)

I know I have to do the HPAT exam, I already bought the two practice papers and I just hope to get better at them. Anyways, can I sit the exam next year and if I fail, do it again in 6th year, or is certain age/year required to take the exam? Also if f.e. I scored 100 in HPAT, does this count to my LC points or is this a separate thing? Also what is the minimum no of points you need to score in order to pass HPAT?

I was also wondering is there any way to get extra points for your LC (not counting points earned by sitting the LC) f.e. from TAP,social welfare,department of education - any institution due to certain circumstances f.e. your mum is not alive, your mum is a single mum, you are a different nationality etc etc

Thank for your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Hello, I am currently a 3rd year student. I will be a 5th year student next year (skipping TY). And ever since I was a little child I wanted to be a doctor.

I already picked my subjects: English,Maths,Polish,Geography,Biology,Chemistry and Physics. I have some questions though :)

I know I have to do the HPAT exam, I already bought the two practice papers and I just hope to get better at them. Anyways, can I sit the exam next year and if I fail, do it again in 6th year, or is certain age/year required to take the exam? Also if f.e. I scored 100 in HPAT, does this count to my LC points or is this a separate thing? Also what is the minimum no of points you need to score in order to pass HPAT?

I was also wondering is there any way to get extra points for your LC (not counting points earned by sitting the LC) f.e. from TAP,social welfare,department of education - any institution due to certain circumstances f.e. your mum is not alive, your mum is a single mum, you are a different nationality etc etc

You need to be registered with the CAO to sit the HPAT I think, so you need to be in 6th year or have done the LC already. Your HPAT is added to your LC points - but 550+ points is scaled back, so 560 points = 552 + HPAT score. I don't think you can "fail" the HPAT per se, but because the max LC points is 565, you need a certain score to get into medicine at all.

HEAR / DARE are access schemes that let you in on reduced points. Pretty sure single parent families qualify for that, but regarding nationality I think your Polish exam covers that tbh. :p

You could ask over in the HPAT thread, they know more than I would :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Merged into the HPAT thread.

You can only sit the HPAT in Leaving Cert year. All the information about sitting the HPAT is here.

The HPAT result is added directly to your Leaving Cert points after they've been scaled down. You don't need a minimum score in the HPAT but the combined score last year had to be over ~736 so you'd need to get over 170 in the HPAT.

Look up the HEAR and DARE access schemes for information on getting into college in certain circumstances.

unfortunately you have to have a CAO number so 6th year only! :(
    and yes, apply to HEAR :D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

I know this will sound stupid but well, I'm only a 3rd year :) so what's this CAO thing? Will I have to apply to get it or will my school do it for me/ tell me about it etc. Thanks a lot everyone :D I'm freaking out about HPAT cause I think I'll struggle with the emotion thing section, my vocab isn't that good, well it's enough to get me an A in JC HL but it's quite tricky in that section! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

CAO is the application procedure for third level. Handbooks will be sent to your school when you're in 6th year. Stick around here long enough and you'll know the whole system inside outside out long before then though :p

• Advertisement

I know this will sound stupid but well, I'm only a 3rd year :) so what's this CAO thing? Will I have to apply to get it or will my school do it for me/ tell me about it etc. Thanks a lot everyone :D I'm freaking out about HPAT cause I think I'll struggle with the emotion thing section, my vocab isn't that good, well it's enough to get me an A in JC HL but it's quite tricky in that section! :D

What fewtinsoffroth said! :D
    Also, you will be grand! you have plenty of time. however, focus on your normal studies, you never know, the HPAT may not be there when you are doing it! :D
    So, relax, believe me, there is enough worry to be done in 6th year! :D
    i was in your situation in third year too! but at the end of the day, Let whatever happens happen. i promise, there is plenty of time! :D
    Best of luck in the junior cert!

Hey guys,
    don't really know where to ask this but for the oral spanish/french exam, do we have to put on an accent. obviously you need the correct pronunciation but like do you have to put on a deep spanish accent? I just feel if i consciously focused on this, i would forget what to say. :)

Hey guys,
    don't really know where to ask this but for the oral spanish/french exam, do we have to put on an accent. obviously you need the correct pronunciation but like do you have to put on a deep spanish accent? I just feel if i consciously focused on this, i would forget what to say. :)
    I'd say don't focus on it too much if it stops you forgetting the content :P I know for sure that if I tried to put on a japanese accent I'd end up sounding ridiculous, but as long as your pronunciation is right I'd say it doesn't matter TOO much. They're looking for are you able to understand it and speak it, not how you sound while speaking it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I know in French 20 marks go for your accent, so I assume Spanish is the same. I'd say as long as you're saying things like "bella" as "baya" and "ciudad" maybe with that slight lisp, you should be fine. They just probably won't want "chee-u-dad" and "bell-a". :P

Oh, and the whole hablo = ablo thing. My Spanish teacher (native, I do it in college but didnt do it for LC) HATES when people pronounce the H haha.

comeclosa wrote: »
    I'd say don't focus on it too much if it stops you forgetting the content :P I know for sure that if I tried to put on a japanese accent I'd end up sounding ridiculous, but as long as your pronunciation is right I'd say it doesn't matter TOO much. They're looking for are you able to understand it and speak it, not how you sound while speaking it :P
    yeah i suppose! thanks :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I know in French 20 marks go for your accent, so I assume Spanish is the same. I'd say as long as you're saying things like "bella" as "baya" and "ciudad" maybe with that slight lisp, you should be fine. They just probably won't want "chee-u-dad" and "bell-a". :P

Oh, and the whole hablo = ablo thing. My Spanish teacher (native, I do it in college but didnt do it for LC) HATES when people pronounce the H haha.

Really? gosh, i never knew that! :P
    yeah i can pronounce all them things properly and that, it's just i don't sound that spanish.
    i guess it is like a spanish person speaking english- they don't have british/irish accents, nor should they be expected to! haha

and the funny thing is..your acccent may well be better than the examiners yet they wont give you 20 ha

think i might just chat up the examiner

amicus wrote: »
    think i might just chat up the examiner

Hahaha what makes you so sure they would fall for you :P haha.

• Advertisement

Hahaha what makes you so sure they would fall for you :P haha.

hah my accents quite good so ill impress her with my errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs hah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement