Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

I doubt this will come to pass.
    There was no mention of it from my coucellor and she is one of the leading ones in the irish coucellor organisation. If there was any word of it, she would have told me

0mega wrote: »
    Why did I get the idea in my head that HPAT results are out 24th of June? The website only says Late June 2013 :eek:

I also have this date recorded! :P
    seriously can't find where i got it from :P

there we go :P
    Results

Results will be released to mature candidates in late April 2013.

Results will be released to other candidates on Monday 24 June 2013.

You will receive an online statement of results via your account. This statement gives an overall score and an overall percentile rank to give you an indication of how well you performed against other HPAT – Ireland candidates. The maximum score a candidate can receive is 300

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

I doubt this will come to pass.
    There was no mention of it from my coucellor and she is one of the leading ones in the irish coucellor organisation. If there was any word of it, she would have told me

My one might be completely wrong haha! She said that the G.C. assocation asked if the results could be released earlier and that ACER said they'd think about it. She's probably wrong though if no one else heard of it :P

No matter what system they bring in for entry to Medicine in Ireland, It will always be fiercely competitive ans unfair to some. I hated having to do the HPAT and Lord knows i probably did **** but at the end of the day what system would be better?
    Interviews have been suggested. Yes, this seems like a perfect decision-maker but i for one wouldn't do well because of the pressure and I am a people person. I would just freeze up. There are not enough places. That is the simple reason it is so hard to get into Medicine. It is a sad reality but 80% of us will not get medicine. No matter what they bring in, they can only ever give a maximum of 20% of the applicants.
    It is so hard to know what to do if i do not get medicine here or in Italy/Malta. i will be devastated but i just don't know what i would do from there. Repeat Leaving? Repeat Hpat? Repeat both? Take another course and repeat HPAT? take anothe course and do graduate entry (fees are enormous as ye know). Apply to britain and other countries only? ohhhh what to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

0mega wrote: »
    Why did I get the idea in my head that HPAT results are out 24th of June? The website only says Late June 2013 :eek:

No if you log into your HPAT account under the results tab you'll see:

2dnj2v.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

First time poster here (I think, maybe :P ) but I have a question:

Is it true that this is the last year of being able to repeat the HPAT on its own? My friend (in medicine) told me that from next year onwards that if you don't get medicine you must repeat both HPAT and LC. I don't know how true this is but I thought it would be unfair on those who get a perfect 625 LC and miss out due to the HPAT and then having to repeat both just because they screwed up on the HPAT.

Is it true? Because medicine is still rumbling around in my head and I am always thinking of it and doing it. I probably would never end up dropping out and reapplying from college (I'm in 1st year and it'd be so much hassle) but it'd definitely be out the window if this comes in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

ChemHickey wrote: »

Is it true that this is the last year of being able to repeat the HPAT on its own? My friend (in medicine) told me that from next year onwards that if you don't get medicine you must repeat both HPAT and LC. I don't know how true this is but I thought it would be unfair on those who get a perfect 625 LC and miss out due to the HPAT and then having to repeat both just because they screwed up on the HPAT.

Is it true? Because medicine is still rumbling around in my head and I am always thinking of it and doing it. I probably would never end up dropping out and reapplying from college (I'm in 1st year and it'd be so much hassle) but it'd definitely be out the window if this comes in!

There was an announcement made on the HPAT site a few months ago something along the lines of "There may be some changes regarding the currency of the results" so people have been guessing as to what they meant. There's been nothing released since then though.

Link here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

They've said they might be making changes to the currency of results, but they still haven't confirmed anything AFAIK.

^^ Too slow :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

ChemHickey wrote: »

Well there was talk of changing the currency of results so you must repeat both but I don't think it has changed just yet. Though I thought that you have to repeat the leaving cert after 2 years as well? I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I heard that.

There was an announcement made on the HPAT site a few months ago something along the lines of "There may be some changes regarding the currency of the results" so people have been guessing as to what they meant. There's been nothing released since then though.

Link here.
    They've said they might be making changes to the currency of results, but they still haven't confirmed anything AFAIK.
    Well there was talk of changing the currency of results so you must repeat both but I don't think it has changed just yet. Though I thought that you have to repeat the leaving cert after 2 years as well? I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I heard that.

Aw cool, thanks guys. Just wondering if over the summer I change my whole outlook again what I could do. I am happy enough with my course, but I just like the whole subject material of medicine and it has always interested me so idk :o

Ahh c'mon Zach for the craic.

Haha yeah I'd love to, and all my premed friends were so annoyed when I said I was thinking of it but didn't do the HPAT :P I'll be contemplating it over the summer anyways :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

One does not simply do medicine 'for the craic'.

Didn't you hear it's a vocation? :pac:

Zach's vocation is to hang with me anyway :cool:

Does anyone here do Accounting?
    If so, do you know where the insurance and rent figures for December come from in the 2009 tabular statement. they are 9400 and 7000 euro respectively.
    I know this is probably fierce simple but like i always get stuck on this part and i don't want to lose marks for nothing!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

PS. i know this is not the correct forum but it is the only active one i know of related to the leaving cert, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Does anyone here do Accounting?
    If so, do you know where the insurance and rent figures for December come from in the 2009 tabular statement. they are 9400 and 7000 euro respectively.
    I know this is probably fierce simple but like i always get stuck on this part and i don't want to lose marks for nothing!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

PS. i know this is not the correct forum but it is the only active one i know of related to the leaving cert, so.

Don't have the question at hand or anything but it's probably because there's amounts due/prepaid eg if the Insurance figure is for 12 months starting 31/3/2008 then only nine months are for 2008 and 3 for 2009. So you put in the total figure for whatever month it arises in, then the amount for this year in December, and the prepaid amount will be in the total Assets (total amount - amount for this year). Dunno what way they do it in the marking scheme tbh but that's how we set it up anyway. This might not be the problem at all but that's usually the case with Insurance and Rent in tabs. If it's something else or if I've done a terrible job of explaining, just ask and I'll actually put the massive effort into looking at the question.:P

Slow Show wrote: »
    Don't have the question at hand or anything but it's probably because there's amounts due/prepaid eg if the Insurance figure is for 12 months starting 31/3/2008 then only nine months are for 2008 and 3 for 2009. So you put in the total figure for whatever month it arises in, then the amount for this year in December, and the prepaid amount will be in the total Assets (total amount - amount for this year). Dunno what way they do it in the marking scheme tbh but that's how we set it up anyway. This might not be the problem at all but that's usually the case with Insurance and Rent in tabs. If it's something else or if I've done a terrible job of explaining, just ask and I'll actually put the massive effort into looking at the question.:P

Yeah that is the probelm. thanks but tbh, i still don't get the figures. Like i understand the the prepaid/due bit etc but just getting the right figure is proving difficult so i presume i am doing it completely wrong.
    Here is the bit you need to know:
    March Received a bank statement on 1st March showing a direct debit of €9,600 to cover fire insurance
    for year ended 28/2/2009 and a credit transfer received of €7,700 to cover 11 months rent
    receivable in advance from March 1.

The december figures in the solution for insurance and rent are 9400£ and 7000£ respectively.
    Thanks so much for your help. :D i have a feeling tabular will appear this year! :)

Wait, i think i get the 7000£ figure. you divide 7700 by 11 and multiply by the 10 months left????? :D
    still stuck on the insurance one though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Yeah that is the probelm. thanks but tbh, i still don't get the figures. Like i understand the the prepaid/due bit etc but just getting the right figure is proving difficult so i presume i am doing it completely wrong.
    Here is the bit you need to know:
    March Received a bank statement on 1st March showing a direct debit of €9,600 to cover fire insurance
    for year ended 28/2/2009 and a credit transfer received of €7,700 to cover 11 months rent
    receivable in advance from March 1.

The december figures in the solution for insurance and rent are 9400£ and 7000£ respectively.
    Thanks so much for your help. :D i have a feeling tabular will appear this year! :)

Wait, i think i get the 7000£ figure. you divide 7700 by 11 and multiply by the 10 months left????? :D
    still stuck on the insurance one though :/

Yeah that's the rent, Insurance is for a year but only 10 months apply to this year so 10/12 of 9600 is...8000. OK so that confused me enough to look at the question, and see there's 1400 already in Insurance which is presumably for January and February so add 1400 and 8000 and there's your 9400 for the year. :)

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    Yeah that's the rent, Insurance is for a year but only 10 months apply to this year so 10/12 of 9600 is...8000. OK so that confused me enough to look at the question, and see there's 1400 already in Insurance which is presumably for January and February so add 1400 and 8000 and there's your 9400 for the year. :)

OMG thank you so much. don't know how i missed that! :P
    You are so kind! thanks. :D

I was chatting to my GP about studying Medicine today.
    She reckons that we should all be considering going abroad as the quality of hospital experience is much more pleasant and there is absolutely no disadvantages regarding finding work here.
    She has one many many awards at her time in University and said that she has failed every practice HPAT test she has done.
    She is an amazing GP and has the best knowledge and personality. What more can they ask for?
    So what then is the HPAT used for?
    Also, is anyone here applying abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

I was considering it, but I think I'll leave that as a back up for next year, if needs be! :)
    Are you applying abroad outnumbered? :)

I was chatting to my GP about studying Medicine today.
    She reckons that we should all be considering going abroad as the quality of hospital experience is much more pleasant and there is absolutely no disadvantages regarding finding work here.
    She has one many many awards at her time in University and said that she has failed every practice HPAT test she has done.
    She is an amazing GP and has the best knowledge and personality. What more can they ask for?
    So what then is the HPAT used for?
    Also, is anyone here applying abroad?

I don't think there's ever going to be a perfect system for choosing who gets into medicine, like points only is a bit too narrow in what it examines and often allows people in who are just very hard workers or extremely intelligent but don't have the right personality for medicine, I think an interview system would fall too much in favour of doctors sons and daughters, and the HPAT system goes against people who are hard workers (who do very well in the LC) and have the perfect personality for a doctor but not necessarily the most logically minded. As I say I don#t think there's ever going to be a perfect system where everyone who's right for medicine gets in and the people who aren't don't, I personally think despite it's perceived unfairness the HPAT with the LC is probably the best system there is, but not without it's faults, but that's my own personal opinion and people are more than welcome to disagree!

I was considering it, but I think I'll leave that as a back up for next year, if needs be! :)
    Are you applying abroad outnumbered? :)

good idea! :D
    yes i have applied to Italy and Malta.
    the italian exam is in less than two weeks. so nervous. like the HPAT all over again haha

I don't think there's ever going to be a perfect system for choosing who gets into medicine, like points only is a bit too narrow in what it examines and often allows people in who are just very hard workers or extremely intelligent but don't have the right personality for medicine, I think an interview system would fall too much in favour of doctors sons and daughters, and the HPAT system goes against people who are hard workers (who do very well in the LC) and have the perfect personality for a doctor but not necessarily the most logically minded. As I say I don#t think there's ever going to be a perfect system where everyone who's right for medicine gets in and the people who aren't don't, I personally think despite it's perceived unfairness the HPAT with the LC is probably the best system there is, but not without it's faults, but that's my own personal opinion and people are more than welcome to disagree!

quite right. As i said in an earlier post, i also think the HPAT system, although doesn't favour me, is alright. i can't think of any other way. I just wish they accepted more and let the more able students stay on and the lesser leave. The french system accepts EVERYBODY basically and then they are all examined by the lectures and the best are kept. or so i am told anyway. this, in my opinion, would be good. :D
    I am guessing you have not applied abroad?

quite right. As i said in an earlier post, i also think the HPAT system, although doesn't favour me, is alright. i can't think of any other way. I just wish they accepted more and let the more able students stay on and the lesser leave. The french system accepts EVERYBODY basically and then they are all examined by the lectures and the best are kept. or so i am told anyway. this, in my opinion, would be good. :D
    I am guessing you have not applied abroad?

Nope as I say, it's the opinion of both my parents and myself that I'm a bit too young this year, on top of that also I only decided I'd apply for medicine at all just before Christmas. But if I don't get in next year and I repeat then yeah I'll probably apply to the UK, not sure about Italy and Malta though!

Nope as I say, it's the opinion of both my parents and myself that I'm a bit too young this year, on top of that also I only decided I'd apply for medicine at all just before Christmas. But if I don't get in next year and I repeat then yeah I'll probably apply to the UK, not sure about Italy and Malta though!

AH YES. i had that concern. im only gone 17 :/
    but no point wasting time in my opinion. i wanted to do medicine since like baby infants :P
    why not italy/malta? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

is it hard to get in to medicine en italie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Does anyone know how tough the ag science marking scheme is? Is it like business & biology where everything has to be pretty much word for word, or is it ok once you get your point across?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement