Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

borrch wrote: »
    Does anyone know how tough the ag science marking scheme is? Is it like business & biology where everything has to be pretty much word for word, or is it ok once you get your point across?

Its pretty much like biology. You need to have the key phrases thrown in there or you won't get your marks. Some questions can be quite lenient in terms of marking but the answers must always be specific. Like for example they tend to ask the weight of animals at various stages of the production cycle so if you say they weight of a bonham at birth is outside the 1.0-1.5kg range you get 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

amicus wrote: »
    is it hard to get in to medicine en italie?

Okay, i don't want to speak too soon but relatively easy. You do an exam called the Imat. It is 30 questions similar to sec 1 hpat and 30 science and math questions. You only need 50 % approx. Then you just need to pass your lc.

Does anyone know whether it is wise to leave out environmental chemistry for the leaving cert. Our teacher isn't doing it but it comes up all the time and seems handy. Should i do it on my own?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Does anyone know whether it is wise to leave out environmental chemistry for the leaving cert. Our teacher isn't doing it but it comes up all the time and seems handy. Should i do it on my own?

I would, it's a very handy half question, the type of questions they ask in the exam are really repetitive, so if you did all the exam q's for it you'd be sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

Just wondering, I'll be doing my JC this year, is Leaving Cert hard? I've seen the exam questions and it seems so hard but at the same time I remember that's what I thought of JC when I first looked at the questions and now it seems easy as I've done the stuff.

• Advertisement

Just wondering, I'll be doing my JC this year, is Leaving Cert hard? I've seen the exam questions and it seems so hard but at the same time I remember that's what I thought of JC when I first looked at the questions and now it seems easy as I've done the stuff.

Depends on what your perception of "hard" is. If you want to make things as easy as possible for yourself only pick subjects from areas that you're good at. Obviously you'll need at least 1 science, go for 2 to avoid limiting yourself. Chem and biology don't require a great deal of intelligence, just consistent rote learning and a good teacher, particularly for chem. If you're aiming for medicine then yes, you'll probably find the LC more difficult than others as you need your knowledge for each subject to be near perfection. I wouldn't even think about the LC yet though if I were you :) Only when making subject choices as they are quite important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Just wondering, I'll be doing my JC this year, is Leaving Cert hard?

Ehh in short. If you stay on top of everything throughout fifth year and study consistently in sixth year with an exam focused approach, you can make it pretty manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

I'm hoping come June, I'll look back on the LC like I did the JC and think that it was relatively easy. Picking your subjects for Leaving Cert is really important, make sure you pick the best for you. I know it sounds bad, but don't just pick the subjects you like, especially if you're going for medicine. Pick subjects that are easier to get marks in - they do exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

im not learning it..its only 1 question out of 11 in q.4 so you can still answer 8 out of 10... and then its only half a part of q11 and you can still answer that question by answering the 2 other parts :) so you can still get 137.5 %

im not learning it..its only 1 question out of 11 in q.4 so you can still answer 8 out of 10... and then its only half a part of q11 and you can still answer that question by answering the 2 other parts :) so you can still get 137.5 %
    right. but i just thought that if i found one bit of question 11 that i loved and i couldn't do the other part, it would be nice to have a back up.
    hmmmmmmm decisions......

• Advertisement

I would, it's a very handy half question, the type of questions they ask in the exam are really repetitive, so if you did all the exam q's for it you'd be sorted :D
    hmmm maybe. we don't have a book for chemistry so i would have to get it from another school.. :D

you only have to do 8 questions anyway

how long would it take to learn?

how long would it take to learn?
    i honestly don't have a clue. doesn't seem that broad though.
    yeah 8 q's is alright like. q 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, for me i think :D

I'm doing 3 science subjects, I love science xD

My plan, is to do all 3 experiment questions (assuming they suit me), I'll also do Q4 & Q5. I'm going to learn organic chemistry really well cos that usually worth 3 questions (if you include Q2). I've gone through all the oxidation/reduction, ph, water, periodic table, radioactivity, bonding, acid & base. I plan also to do the 2 options (atmospheric & materials). I want to be well prepared to answer 10 questions thoroughly just to be on the safe side, need the A1..!
    I thought the environmental questions in the exam papers (and i did everyone of them) were really easy and very predictable!

I'm more sure of physics, i'm leaving out half of that course because of the way the exam paper is laid out. Chemistry isn't as predictable in my opinion...

My plan, is to do all 3 experiment questions (assuming they suit me), I'll also do Q4 & Q5. I'm going to learn organic chemistry really well cos that usually worth 3 questions (if you include Q2). I've gone through all the oxidation/reduction, ph, water, periodic table, radioactivity, bonding, acid & base. I plan also to do the 2 options (atmospheric & materials). I want to be well prepared to answer 10 questions thoroughly just to be on the safe side, need the A1..!
    I thought the environmental questions in the exam papers (and i did everyone of them) were really easy and very predictable!

I'm more sure of physics, i'm leaving out half of that course because of the way the exam paper is laid out. Chemistry isn't as predictable in my opinion...

woahhhhh .wat you leaving out in physics? the two easiest question btw are particle physics and modern physics..electricity's grand and then although easy chapters they tend to make one of the remaining chapter questions a bit dodgy.plus the q.11 usually comes from modern i think ..anyway tell me what you're studying?

SHHHNAAAAAP..physics wins? :D

i honestly don't have a clue. doesn't seem that broad though.
    yeah 8 q's is alright like. q 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, for me i think :D

noone likes atomic but the questions are always fantabulous

anyone miss hpat ? i miss section 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

anyone miss hpat ? i miss section 3

Looooooooool not in the slightest, I sometimes still get waves of delight that it's over. :P Logged into ME the other day just to see if I could still use it, saw the practice tests and imagined doing one for the craic and promptly felt a bit sick. :L

Slow Show wrote: »
    Looooooooool not in the slightest, I sometimes still get waves of delight that it's over. :P Logged into ME the other day just to see if I could still use it, saw the practice tests and imagined doing one for the craic and promptly felt a bit sick. :L

come to think of it.id rather watch family guy..buttscratcher?

woahhhhh .wat you leaving out in physics? the two easiest question btw are particle physics and modern physics..electricity's grand and then although easy chapters they tend to make one of the remaining chapter questions a bit dodgy.plus the q.11 usually comes from modern i think ..anyway tell me what you're studying?

Im doing Q5, mechanics, modern & particle, sts (hopefully), Q12 (a & d Mechanics/particle) light and all the experiments. I sat it last year, and got full marks in short q and sts, no need for me to learn any electricity :rolleyes:

Slow Show wrote: »

sometimes as i search the web, i automaticallytype "mede...." and quickly realise that i no longer need it. :P
    i hated it but got used to it in the end.

noone likes atomic but the questions are always fantabulous

too much effort tbh

SHHHNAAAAAP..physics wins? :D

Gooo physics, give me a P, give me a H, give me a Y, give me an S....oh wow, how clever of me....not, sorry im just being weird. I can't pick between the 3 and if my school won't offer me the 3, I'll probably cause an earthquake of my anger :)
    .... and move schools xd

Gooo physics, give me a P, give me a H, give me a Y, give me an S....oh wow, how clever of me....not, sorry im just being weird. I can't pick between the 3 and if my school won't offer me the 3, I'll probably cause an earthquake of my anger :)
    .... and move schools xd

Just do chem and physics (you'll probably need teachers for them) and teach biology to yourself :)

How are you all going about preparing for the orals? I wrote out about 50 pages of questions/answers a while back and I'm just memorizing them. Not sure if this is the right approach though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Science is the best. I did 4, so much overlaps, you'll be laughing :p

• Advertisement

How are you all going about preparing for the orals? I wrote out about 50 pages of questions/answers a while back and I'm just memorizing them. Not sure if this is the right approach though...

I'm only doing OL in Irish & French, but in French I've done out a 20 min conversation that should cover me, and I practise with a grind teacher once a week for a hour, i'm not that pushed as i just need to pass, but my Irish is terrible. So i'll be learning my poems and pictures well, I'm more afraid of failing Irish than not getting the points...

With regards to Irish, I'll start practising in another week with a family member who has great Irish, but I'd be extremely happy if I could 20% out of the 40% up for grabs...:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement