Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Fantastic.
    okay i have another question for you so.
    we got notes on how to make a cup of tea, how to play sport, what happens at a retreat, the new pope, and a load more bs.
    will this be needed? like did your teacher ever do that stuff with ye? and did he/she say anything that is important this year? :D

What?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

What?????????

yes! :P lol would you like me to put up how, as gaeilge of course!my teacher is so annoying! :P

yes! :P lol would you like me to put up how, as gaeilge of course!my teacher is so annoying! :P

In fairness it'd have to be a fairly bitter and vengeful examiner who'd ask you that out of the blue, even if you led them down the path of talking about tea they still would be unlikely to ask you that, as one examiner said to me, they all have their own student who they want to get marks so they'll go easy on you hoping the other marker will go easy on their students!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Fantastic.
    okay i have another question for you so.
    we got notes on how to make a cup of tea, how to play sport, what happens at a retreat, the new pope, and a load more bs.
    will this be needed? like did your teacher ever do that stuff with ye? and did he/she say anything that is important this year? :D

we did absolutly nothing like that! :L for the oral we've covered me, family, hobbies, last summer, next summer, parttime job, where i live, everything about school, next year, recession, problems for young people, points system, debs, what youd do if you were a judge/minister/principle and probably a couple more little things that i cant think of right now!

He's thinking there might be an essay on gathering/tourism in ireland, and/or something on the state of the country

Glee_GG wrote: »
    we did absolutly nothing like that! :L for the oral we've covered me, family, hobbies, last summer, next summer, parttime job, where i live, everything about school, next year, recession, problems for young people, points system, debs, what youd do if you were a judge/minister/principle and probably a couple more little things that i cant think of right now!

He's thinking there might be an essay on gathering/tourism in ireland, and/or something on the state of the country

Oh thank God! yeah i have all of that stuff prepared. i have a very systematic approach to this oral with lots of hints to lead onto the stuff i want to talk about! :P
    Yeah the gathering i have heard! i am also thinking internet, facebook and cyberbullying and youth problems since at the time the papers were made, them girls committed suicide over cyberbullying :/

• Advertisement

Okay the moment we have all been waiting for: HOW TO MAKE A CUP OF TEA- AS GAEILGE.
    Ar dtús líonaim an citeal. Ansin cuirim ar siúl é. Doirtim uisce isteach sa tae phota chun é a théamh. Cuirim dhá máta tae isteach ansin. Doirtim isteach an t-uisce agus fágaim é ar feadh cúpla noimead. hmmmmm tae.

oh would anyone like to know how to swim or play football?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I've heard of someone getting asked how to make a cup of tea. I don't like tea so hopefully I won't get brought down that path. :p

Yeah I'm really hoping An Ghaeilge or An Coras Oideachais come up but we're gonna do an essay on The Gathering too. I think Cibearbhulaiocht/Facebook is really likely too but I don't have much on it at all really. It'll be fine though, every year I've looked back on in the papers there's been something that's at least somewhat doable on the spot!

Slow Show wrote: »
    I've heard of someone getting asked how to make a cup of tea. I don't like tea so hopefully I won't get brought down that path. :p

Yeah I'm really hoping An Ghaeilge or An Coras Oideachais come up but we're gonna do an essay on The Gathering too. I think Cibearbhulaiocht/Facebook is really likely too but I don't have much on it at all really. It'll be fine though, every year I've looked back on in the papers there's been something that's at least somewhat doable on the spot!

haha seriously? h i will just say i don't like it! they will hardly randomly bring it up! :P
    yeah them topics would be great! :D
    is it just me or is Irish actually pretty handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

haha seriously? h i will just say i don't like it! they will hardly randomly bring it up! :P
    yeah them topics would be great! :D
    is it just me or is Irish actually pretty handy?

not as handy as Japanese :P

comeclosa wrote: »
    not as handy as Japanese :P

Don't make me sad comeclosa! :P

• Advertisement

Do all the papers from each school get marked together. like will my english paper be marked alongside my class's english paper? :)
    also for the comparative study is it better to do the 2 part question or the full long question? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The papers from each centre are marked together and examiners are given centres in consecutive order. There could be a number of centres in the one school. It won't have any effect on how your paper is marked. It is marked against the national standard, not your class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Do all the papers from each school get marked together. like will my english paper be marked alongside my class's english paper? :)
    also for the comparative study is it better to do the 2 part question or the full long question? :)

My teacher always recommended doing the two part question, just in case you don't answer one correctly you have a chance with the other unlike the one part question. It probably isn't really a big deal though.

spurious wrote: »
    The papers from each centre are marked together and examiners are given centres in consecutive order. There could be a number of centres in the one school. It won't have any effect on how your paper is marked. It is marked against the national standard, not your class.

Okay that is good to know. My English class has a very high standard so i was a bit concerned. Thanks :)

dmca93 wrote: »
    My teacher always recommended doing the two part question, just in case you don't answer one correctly you have a chance with the other unlike the one part question. It probably isn't really a big deal though.

ah, good idea! :) cheers!

The french system accepts EVERYBODY basically and then they are all examined by the lectures and the best are kept. or so i am told anyway. this, in my opinion, would be good. :D

I was just thinking about this recently, and I think there's definitely merit in it, but I'm not really sure it's fair to take so many people in, and waste a year of their life only to chuck them out after a few months and leave them high and dry until the next year! Also on top of that in France in fairness tuition fees are very low (about €700 per annum max) but it'd be unfair in Ireland to expect students to pay out €3000 as I say just for the majority of them to be thrown out!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

Can someone please tell me: if you have a solar panel and a lamp would the solar panel catch more light when it's directly in a straight angle to the light or if it's slightly tilted up or down? I think it would catch more light when it's slightly tilted but is that true?

I was just thinking about this recently, and I think there's definitely merit in it, but I'm not really sure it's fair to take so many people in, and waste a year of their life only to chuck them out after a few months and leave them high and dry until the next year! Also on top of that in France in fairness tuition fees are very low (about €700 per annum max) but it'd be unfair in Ireland to expect students to pay out €3000 as I say just for the majority of them to be thrown out!

Very true, but, what if there was another course which they could then progress into. something like Human health and disease or another science-related course? then they wouldn't be wasting money and they would still get a degree that could help them with GEM. ah i dunno, the competition would be fierce and i would say the enjoyment of college life would be bashed!

So, how did the first day back go for everyone? :D

comeclosa wrote: »
    So, how did the first day back go for everyone? :D

Meh, alright. glad to be back to routine and the revision is good. you?

• Advertisement

fellow leaving certs/former leaving certs,
    Does anyone have any tips on how to keep motivated? Sure, i know the thought of being a Doctor keeps me motivated mist of the time but right now i am so pessimistic. I feel that there is no way i can get Medicine and am so tired. these orals are coming up and i just feel like crying. i am really down about the whole thing and just have it in my head that i am repeating. I know i can do well in the leaving, i always do well (bar my mocks: 490) but i just don't know. anyway my senseless rant is over! Any advice for me on how to keep going? ughhh june 18th hurry up, pretty please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep motivated? Sure, i know the thought of being a Doctor keeps me motivated mist of the time but right now i am so pessimistic. I feel that there is no way i can get Medicine and am so tired. these orals are coming up and i just feel like crying. i am really down about the whole thing and just have it in my head that i am repeating. I know i can do well in the leaving, i always do well (bar my mocks: 490) but i just don't know. anyway my senseless rant is over! Any advice for me on how to keep going? ughhh june 18th hurry up, pretty please!
    If ur like me make study enjoyable..study the subjects u like while listening to music and for the others well just do as much possible in the shortest period possible.say to urself after this hour or,watever ill watch a tv show or have a cupán tae

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

If we're honest, i'm sure 99% of us feel the same. I know i do..!

I have about 2-3 days every week where i feel like that. The only way I can cope is by setting short term goals, no more than a week in advance. Otherwise it seems like too big a mountain to climb. So everyday I have a certain amount i try to get done. For example: i do 2 years of an exam papers each day on a certain topic on each of my science & maths subject i.e metabolism in Biology.

I'm a bit worried about maths cos i tend to leave it until last. :( And i'm f****d for the orals but what the hell :o

borrch wrote: »
    If we're honest, i'm sure 99% of us feel the same. I know i do..!

I have about 2-3 days every week where i feel like that. The only way I can cope is by setting short term goals, no more than a week in advance. Otherwise it seems like too big a mountain to climb. So everyday I have a certain amount i try to get done. For example: i do 2 years of an exam papers each day on a certain topic on each of my science & maths subject i.e metabolism in Biology.

I'm a bit worried about maths cos i tend to leave it until last. :( And i'm f****d for the orals but what the hell :o

oh thanks god. they are good plans though. oh i know maths is so broad! :O
    i am okayyyyy i think for the orals! :)

amicus wrote: »
    If ur like me make study enjoyable..study the subjects u like while listening to music and for the others well just do as much possible in the shortest period possible.say to urself after this hour or,watever ill watch a tv show or have a cupán tae

yeah they are a good tips! :) thanks.
    how to make study enjoyable... well that is a tough one! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

Does anyone know roughly what date in April that mature students are sent their HPAT results?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

I'm not sure. It just says on their website late April. Are you a mature student?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can someone please tell me: if you have a solar panel and a lamp would the solar panel catch more light when it's directly in a straight angle to the light or if it's slightly tilted up or down? I think it would catch more light when it's slightly tilted but is that true?

Answered in the JC forum.
    Straight on to the light source, not tilted will 'catch' more light.

is being the last person in the oral a good thing or a bad thing or does it make a difference?

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter I'd say, and if something, you can always make up an excuse how you feel like that's too close to your OTHER oral, and see if you could get moved up to the top/middle of the list so that you "get it out of the way and have more time to study for your other oral" ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement