Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

comeclosa wrote: »
    Doesn't matter I'd say, and if something, you can always make up an excuse how you feel like that's too close to your OTHER oral, and see if you could get moved up to the top/middle of the list so that you "get it out of the way and have more time to study for your other oral" ;)

Oh i wish i could but i have to go last as i have an exam (For Italy) on monday in London and i won't be back until That night and she is coming monday and tuesday so i have to go last on tuesday.
    I think that she will be tired and more lenient, hopefully. i am the best in the class anyway (not being cocky but i am) so hopefully i send her off with the WOW factor! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Oh i wish i could but i have to go last as i have an exam (For Italy) on monday in London and i won't be back until That night and she is coming monday and tuesday so i have to go last on tuesday.
    I think that she will be tired and more lenient, hopefully. i am the best in the class anyway (not being cocky but i am) so hopefully i send her off with the WOW factor! :P

Generally as one oral examiner said to me, their brains are totally mashed from listening to so many people that, if you make a reasonably good impression they'll give you good marks regardless, and I think if you were last you'd benefit much more from that rather than someone who is first and the examiner would be extremely alert for!

Generally as one oral examiner said to me, their brains are totally mashed from listening to so many people that, if you make a reasonably good impression they'll give you good marks regardless, and I think if you were last you'd benefit much more from that rather than someone who is first and the examiner would be extremely alert for!

hehehe You sir, have made my evening!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

just getting back to the medicine part of the thread :p

What do you guys think of pre-med? Waste of time or actually a really good basis for the rest of the course ?

It would be really great to hear from people who have an haven't done it to see what ye think :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nutsnbolts

question....

how does HPAT know whether to release the results in April or June? did we have to state in the application whether we were going the mature entry or not, or will it do it based on if you are 23+ that you'll get them?

am asking the question because, i originally had intended in just going down the LC way, but i am also over 23.. so i doubt i'll be able to get my HPAT results until june..

any ideas? is what i'm saying is making sense?!

or maybe does the HPAT contact the CAO and see if you've applied as a Mature Student.. thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

just getting back to the medicine part of the thread :p

What do you guys think of pre-med? Waste of time or actually a really good basis for the rest of the course ?

It would be really great to hear from people who have an haven't done it to see what ye think :o

The students at UCD told me it's great for the fact alone that you get to know all your class and you don't get straight into a tough first year like in Trinity and the social aspect of university is put on the backburner.

Trinity first year also has a higher drop out and fail rate I've heard. Where as UCD, you're guaranteed nearly to make it into second year at the very least. :P

People also say that pre-med is basically just the LC courses, but if you take a look at the timetable a lot of it is quite new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

0mega wrote: »
    People also say that pre-med is basically just the LC courses, but if you take a look at the timetable a lot of it is quite new.

I think it depends on the college, UCD premed is mandatory isn't it? So I wouldn't be surprised if you actually do some medical science.

Whereas in NUIG premed is biology, chemistry and physics (all of which are the LC more or less) mixed in with all the undenominated and denominated science students, with 15 of your 60 credits being the actual medicine module, and I know some of that is stuff is the ethics and early patient contact, a lot of which is probably gone over again in first year, so I don't think you miss out on toooo much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I really want to do premed but I don't think I wantto put UCD first and I'd rather be in Dublin :/ it would be so much easier if everywhere had it! From what I've heard it's good to have premed to ease you into the course as 1st year is quite tough especially while you're getting used to college and being away from home. Aghhhh decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I want to do pre-med because the idea of working really hard right after this year doesn't really appeal to me when there's a nicer alternative, and I'd like to actually experience some college life (I know it's possible to have a great social life and all that in med but...y'know :P), and NUIG is first on my CAO anyway. That said, if I was after repeating the HPAT, taking a year out, I'd personally skip pre-med as I'd want to just get moving on towards qualification at that stage tbh and I probably wouldn't be in as large a need of a break.

From what I've heard from people in NUIG, pre-med is a bit of a doss but it's great to make friends and the like, and from what I've gathered there's a good bit more work involved in UCD but it doesn't seem too stressful either.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Hey all, haven't posted in ages. Hope everyone is well!! Have been up to my eyes prepping for German and Irish in the next couple of weeks, not to mention the history and geography write ups!!:eek::eek:

Got an email from RCSI this morning about filling in my mature student application and they're holding the RCSI interviews for mature students on 15th and 16th of May.

Nutsnbolts, I think the HPAT results are only released to those who ticked the mature student section on the CAO, but this is just my assumption from anything enquiries I have made about it, so I could be totally wrong!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

As to the pre-med thing:

I'm currently doing first year medicine in Norway, even though I'm sure they differ, we can't skip what you would call pre-med and I'm glad. We do some stuff from chemistry and biology that most students already know, but it goes deeper and especially the molecular biology and cell biology are much more specific and great to know if you want to understand disease at a macro perspective. You also get a great understanding of how it all works together and how diseases are treatable. For anatomy it's also easier to understand organ function.

That's my experience of it at least. But then again I'm sure the subjects differ some and first year here in Norway includes basic latin, medical statistics, histology and physiology as well at the chemistry and biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

is any one else watching the masters?

amicus wrote: »
    is any one else watching the masters?

What's that? what channel? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

What's that? what channel? :)

the augusta masters? sky sports

amicus wrote: »
    the augusta masters? sky sports

ohhhhh. nope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Do many here have NUIG down as their first choice? Are most of you planning on skipping pre-med or not? I reckon points will stay the same for this year (maybe at most go up 1-2 points). Sure if it goes up anymore you'd need an excetional HPAT + LC. My results are out in 2 weeks, and NUIG have them already, God it makes me so nervous... Can't bear the waiting...

Do you mean NUIG already have HPAT results?
    How do you know?

Do you mean NUIG already have HPAT results?
    How do you know?

Ya, they have all mature student HPAT results, as do the rest of the uni's. I do an evening course there, so that's how i know. But there wont be any interviews until early June (unless they change this) I think it's leaving it very late, so near the leaving cert, im repeating so would rather it over with in May.

ARGHHHH THAT IS TERRIFYING!!

I'm repeating too! So anxious to get these hpat results! Wish I just had a date for when theyre released too! Rcsi emailed me the other day, their interviews are the 15th and 16th of May. TCD said there interviews would be in May aswell!

ARGHHHH THAT IS TERRIFYING!!

I'm repeating too! So anxious to get these hpat results! Wish I just had a date for when theyre released too! Rcsi emailed me the other day, their interviews are the 15th and 16th of May. TCD said there interviews would be in May aswell!

It's kinda exciting..! Although I'll probably be crying when i get my results :o

I've only applied to NUIG as i'm not prepared to go anywhere else. How about you? NUIG is leaving everything until last unfortunately

• Advertisement

Haha, I think there is something endearing about the kind of school that leaves everything til the last minute! :rolleyes:

I will go anywhere that will take me!! RCSI is my number one choice, then UCD, NUIG, UCC and TCD. I did my nursing degree in TCD so i'd be happy enough to mix it up a bit.

NUIG admin people have been lovely anytime I've talked to them. Im looking forward to the open day next week...mainly because it is the day after my German oral!!!! :confused::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Anyone know will the ACER be publishing the bell curve on their website when they release the mature students' results ??

It would be good for the repeaters to know how they did in comparison to last year. . .

Off to London now to sit the IMAT. Living the HPAT fears all over again and was just doing a med entry section 1 drill. Kill me. :P

Good luck!! Will all be worth it when you are Europe's answer to House :)

Good luck!! Will all be worth it when you are Europe's answer to House :)

Hehehe Thanks. :D
    Cramming now for the periodic table/respiration/cell division and of course my spanish oral! :/ sleep is a luxury i cannot afford. :P

Feel your pain, everytime I try to speak German I come out with a load of Irish. Then I switch to Irish and all I can do is speak German. Killer!

I'm solving the problem by watching a Law and Order SVU marathon....:rolleyes:

Haha that is so annoying isn't it! Oh was just watching a you tube video of a mother giving out to her son for not knowing the irish. "It's ****ing easy robert. it's 40 ****ing percent. cár ****ing as duit?" haha.

Anyone know will the ACER be publishing the bell curve on their website when they release the mature students' results ??

It would be good for the repeaters to know how they did in comparison to last year. . .

Níl clú agam ach is doigh liom. Tá súíl 'am.

• Advertisement

My favourite are the alternative versions of the picture stories on tumblr... 'Aine gets on the train. Aine sits beside a really dodgy looking individual. Aine get's robbed....This is why you can't have nice things Aine!'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement