Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Hi all. I'm a fourth year who aspires to be a doctor. I'm wondering which would be the best college to attend to study medicine. I want to go into surgery and want to get some past students' advice on their college choice. I've heard people say that TCD uses archaic teaching methods. What is this and I assume that it is a negative aspect to the course, so, why? In terms of facilities, which would be the best out of the three? Which has the biggest class sizes? Is pre-med in UCD essential to success? What appealed to you to choose a college for medicine? On a side note is doing the 3 sciences + Applied Maths next year doable or should I leave out Applied Maths? Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm a fourth year who aspires to be a doctor. I'm wondering which would be the best college to attend to study medicine. I want to go into surgery and want to get some past students' advice on their college choice. I've heard people say that TCD uses archaic teaching methods. What is this and I assume that it is a negative aspect to the course, so, why? In terms of facilities, which would be the best out of the three? Which has the biggest class sizes? Is pre-med in UCD essential to success? What appealed to you to choose a college for medicine? On a side note is doing the 3 sciences + Applied Maths next year doable or should I leave out Applied Maths? Cheers in advance.

Hey, I am currently repeating the leaving to do medicine and have already got a nursing degree from Trinity. In terms of archaic methods, I have never heard that from anyone before, I assume they mean they have old fashioned methods of teaching? As far as I know medicine is taught like other courses- lectures, tutorials, placements and practicals so really don't know what led to that opinion. As for which one would be best, I think that is a hugely personal question to you and I think the best way to find out for you is to attend open days, talk to students in each course, and find out about each one. Also download the prospectus and talk to the admissions office to get more information regarding numbers, facilities etc. Each website has a wealth of information also so that would be a great place to start. I certainly think it is doable but again it depends on you as a person, if you struggle with maths or physics or chemistry then all of them together might be too much. Look at your own ability and talk to your teachers. Be realistic. Do the simples you know will fulfill basic med school requirements while also giving you the best chance of achieving maximum points. You said your in fourth year, maybe you could try and get some work experience in a healthcare setting as I think its important anyone hoping to go into medicine does it with their wits about them :) Hope that helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Hey, I am currently repeating the leaving to do medicine and have already got a nursing degree from Trinity. In terms of archaic methods, I have never heard that from anyone before, I assume they mean they have old fashioned methods of teaching? As far as I know medicine is taught like other courses- lectures, tutorials, placements and practicals so really don't know what led to that opinion.

Trinity is different in that it practices PBL, which seems to be a bit of a marmite among students. From what I've heard it's not that big a component of the course, just blown wildly out of proportion, because it's something different. It's the opposite of archaic anyway.

How are the Orals going everybody? Have you done them yet?
    I had Spanish today. It went super!! He spent ages on how i would spend my money when i become a Doctor haha. He said i was brilliant! :D and to make me even happier, my exam in London yesterday went really really well! Absolutely delighted so i am!

• Advertisement

Jesus, fairplay to you Outnumbered! You're flying it :)

I have my German on friday morning and the irish is next week.

I did complete my course in venipuncture today though, so not a total waste of a day :D

Jesus, fairplay to you Outnumbered! You're flying it :)

I have my German on friday morning and the irish is next week.

I did complete my course in venipuncture today though, so not a total waste of a day :D

Sincerest best wishes for them!
    Ah how cool! So was nursing not for you? Are you applying as a mature student or as a graduate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Had Irish yesterday and it was beautiful <3 Got the easiest poem and one of my best sraiths! Convo was grand, brought in the modh c myself so didn't get asked any specific question in it and I mentioned that Irish was one of the subject I was hoping for an A1 in and she just smiled at me and said it shouldn't be a problem, made my day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Had German yesterday, Japanese today! Both went OKAY, nothing too spectacular or too difficult. :D Now just gotta tackle Russian tomorrow and I don't have to open my mouth to speak ever again ;)

(yeah, ever again. I'll be giving patients their diagnosis via interpretative dance!)

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Had Irish yesterday and it was beautiful <3 Got the easiest poem and one of my best sraiths! Convo was grand, brought in the modh c myself so didn't get asked any specific question in it and I mentioned that Irish was one of the subject I was hoping for an A1 in and she just smiled at me and said it shouldn't be a problem, made my day! :)

Ah well done! Good for you! :)
    Oh what type of questions were you asked for the convo? Our teacher says they will ask about the boston bomb! what sort of things should i prepare for Irish oral??
    I find Speaking irish easy as i am a regular gaeltacht-goer. but jsut don't know what to prepare! any help? :)

• Advertisement

comeclosa wrote: »
    Had German yesterday, Japanese today! Both went OKAY, nothing too spectacular or too difficult. :D Now just gotta tackle Russian tomorrow and I don't have to open my mouth to speak ever again ;)

(yeah, ever again. I'll be giving patients their diagnosis via interpretative dance!)

Good! What a relief to have them over! 私はすべてがうまくいった希望
    hahaha Made me Lol! :P

Ah well done! Good for you! :)
    Oh what type of questions were you asked for the convo? Our teacher says they will ask about the boston bomb! what sort of things should i prepare for Irish oral??
    I find Speaking irish easy as i am a regular gaeltacht-goer. but jsut don't know what to prepare! any help? :)

I didn't get asked anything weird to be honest, nothing topical or anything in the news, bit on myself and where I live, would I prefer to live the town or country, what I think of the school, rules/would I change any, subject I don't like, problems in my area - did drinking and recession/imigration and managed to bring in my MC here, do I do evening study, next year and why I want to do med, have I done work exp in med which lead to a bit on TY and that was about it! I know one of the girls got asksed what she'd do if she was a principal but that was about it really

I didn't get asked anything weird to be honest, nothing topical or anything in the news, bit on myself and where I live, would I prefer to live the town or country, what I think of the school, rules/would I change any, subject I don't like, problems in my area - did drinking and recession/imigration and managed to bring in my MC here, do I do evening study, next year and why I want to do med, have I done work exp in med which lead to a bit on TY and that was about it! I know one of the girls got asksed what she'd do if she was a principal but that was about it really

Ah that seems like a wonderful conversation! Well done! what poem did you get? Geibhinn? and which sraith? :) oh ya, how much did you say for each pic?

Ah that seems like a wonderful conversation! Well done! what poem did you get? Geibhinn? and which sraith? :) oh ya, how much did you say for each pic?

Yep! The second one where they take the credit card! I had about 4/5 sentences on each but I don't think it took any longer than 2 mins tbh because when I saw it I didn't even take the 30 secs to look at it I just started talking before I forgot any of it!

Yep! The second one where they take the credit card! I had about 4/5 sentences on each but I don't think it took any longer than 2 mins tbh because when I saw it I didn't even take the 30 secs to look at it I just started talking before I forgot any of it!

AH Lovely! I hope i get that poem! i always pretend to be the Lion reading it powerfully! ah good to hear! so i should be grand! GRMA!!!!

Sincerest best wishes for them!
    Ah how cool! So was nursing not for you? Are you applying as a mature student or as a graduate? :)

No, I went into nursing hoping to get into medicine via the grad route, didnt work out that way so now im hoping for the mature route :)

No, I went into nursing hoping to get into medicine via the grad route, didnt work out that way so now im hoping for the mature route :)

Well the very best of luck! I'm sure you will do fine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1245

I've mine done. It's ok but I did a lot better in a different mock test than in the actual exam. I did fine though, I should get an interview for Queen's.

I am doing my leaving cert in 2014 so I'll be sitting the ukcat and applying for ucas this year its really confusing where do Ii get the form and when should I sign up :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

1245 wrote: »
    I am doing my leaving cert in 2014 so I'll be sitting the ukcat and applying for ucas this year its really confusing where do Ii get the form and when should I sign up :confused::(

Didn't apply to Ucas but from the research I've done you apply before October 2014 sit the UKCAT list your predicted grades and write a personal statement before being called to an interview if you're lucky . . . I know that they take your Junior Cert grades into account as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

just a random question what is the different between the 5 year and 6 year course for medicine

• Advertisement

ahmdoda wrote: »
    just a random question what is the different between the 5 year and 6 year course for medicine

The five year course skips Premed year. Premed is a year where you get taught mainly science and little medicine stuff. It is like a year to bring people to the same level. it's meant to be reasonably easy and relaxed. It gives an opportunity to experience university without an intense load of work. :) that's it put simply anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

If I get into Medicine after dropping out of my first year course, what fees will I have to pay?

Edit: It seems for Trinity the full fees are €8,456. So I'm assuming I'll have to pay all of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If I get into Medicine after dropping out of my first year course, what fees will I have to pay?

Edit: It seems for Trinity the full fees are €8,456. So I'm assuming I'll have to pay all of that?

For universities that do premed, they may allow you to count your first year in a relevant course (science, pharmacy etc) as "premed" and will let you carry on into first med as your second year in college, ie you technically won't be repeating first year so you won't be eligible for fees.

I know this has happened where the college has contacted people in September to tell them that they only have to pay the student contribution and levy, not the full course fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Any word from ACER on the Mature Student results (have any mature students checked their accounts, maybe those schnakes have released them without saying anything ;) ) we're running our of April for them to release the results, and they're still as vague as ever with their "Late April 2013" date.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Any word from ACER on the Mature Student results (have any mature students checked their accounts, maybe those schnakes have released them without saying anything ;) ) we're running our of April for them to release the results, and they're still as vague as ever with their "Late April 2013" date.

Nothing so far :( you'd think they would give us a date especially since they gave the results to the uni's a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it will be next Monday 29th, only because it was Monday 30th last year..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

borrch wrote: »
    Nothing so far :( you'd think they would give us a date especially since they gave the results to the uni's a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it will be next Monday 29th, only because it was Monday 30th last year..!

I find it so bizarre that they're so very vague about the date while the tother release date for other students will definitely be the 24th of June!

Anyone here done work experience in a hospital or shadowed a doctor ?

Can students do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Just got an email back from ACER. HPAT results will be released Monday 29th (for mature students). I'd say it will be in the early hours, before 7am, going by previous years.

It's very hard to get work experience. I have alot of veterinary experience and have worked in a nursing home fo 2 years part time, and have done CFR & EFC courses with the Irish Ambulance Training Institute.

Anyone here done work experience in a hospital or shadowed a doctor ?

Can students do that ?

Due to confidentality your not supposed to get work experience with doctors but I know some people whos parents are doctors and they managed to get some but in general, you can't really do it.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement