Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Does it really matter what GPs think? As said 75% of them don't know anything about the hpat. I think most people would agree that there should be some additional examination. Wasn't the plan to analyse the feedback from the interns and decide then if the hpat is actually any good? If the hpat was introduced in 2009, they're still not finished their internships. So other than the fact that the hpat is similar to the umat, which has been long established, there isn't really any evidence to prove the hpat selects better doctors, yet.

Hopefully such surveys aren't taken into consideration, unless it is proven the hpat is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Yeah but at the end of the day it's not looking good for the HPAT if both the Minister of Health and the head of the IMO are against the exam . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

My Guidance councillor said she was at a meeting with ACER where they were asking for the results to be given out in April to all. This was not allowed. They then discussed the future of the HPAT and there was a proposal to just have section 1 from now on. As the others can be learned (well not sec. 2 but anyway). Anyway, seemingly they won't be going back to just leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah there's no way going back to leaving cert would be a good idea. It isn't better now but it was pretty bad back then.

It'd be a disaster especially now as it would probably indirectly mean that honours maths is required, as the points would likely be 595+, for UCD and TCD at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Yeah there's no way going back to leaving cert would be a good idea. It isn't better now but it was pretty bad back then.

It'd be a disaster especially now as it would probably indirectly mean that honours maths is required, as the points would likely be 595+, for UCD and TCD at least.

The last year before the HPAT came in it was 590* second round in Trinity :O 595 for Trinity if they went back to it now would be wishful thinking I'd say 615 or 610!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I have no source for this but I heard before that they were talking about abolishing, or reducing the importance marks-wise of S3. I think that'd be fair enough as I still fail to see the relevance of it and the other two seem to have some redeeming features. That said, as most of you probably know after my incessant moaning, I absolutely abhorred S3. :)

I'd probably get in if it was all based on LC points tbh (not like 615 for TCD but NUIG is my first choice so y'know) but I can see why going back to it would be a bad idea, especially with bonus points for maths.

In other news I had a dream last night that I got 85 in S1, 65 in Section 2 and....5 in Section 3. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

sections 3 is my best so i hope not

im pretty sure the guy at the med e n t r y course said that might be introduced next year

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

amicus wrote: »
    im pretty sure the guy at the med e n t r y course said that might be introduced next year

What might be introduced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

What might be introduced ?

Reducing the mark allocation for S3. I heard it also, apparently ACER feel its the only section that can be learned (rather than.having some sort innate ability at it) that repeaters do significantly better in it the second time around, while the other 2 sections mostly stay static.

• Advertisement

Reducing the mark allocation for S3. I heard it also, apparently ACER feel its the only section that can be learned (rather than.having some sort innate ability at it) that repeaters do significantly better in it the second time around, while the other 2 sections mostly stay static.
    thank god not this year anyway

amicus wrote: »
    thank god not this year anyway

Im pretty sure i got 29

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

oh I had the most horrid dream of scoring 149 on the hpat....

dear god.

that was crushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Already anticipating a sleepless night on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Already anticipating a sleepless night on Sunday.

ya i think we'll both be all night waiting... arghhh.. don't know how i'm feeling about it, it will be so devastating if we don't get enough but euphoric if we do :confused:

Exactly!! I also hate the thoughts of having to explain to people if i get a bad score , i know that sounds crazy but you know, when like a week later when someone random arrives in and asks how the test went and you have to relive the horror AGAIN...

...Sorry, this is my gamsat neurosis showing up:rolleyes:

Actually Borrch, meant to ask are you doing geography or history?

Ya I know what you mean, especially since some people haven't been too supportive. Fingers crossed, but I am preparing myself for the worst..

I'm not doing history or geography, instead I'm doing the 4 sciences, maths, business and English :)

No!! Positive thinking! You will do fantastic! :D

Ah, was doing my history write up today and was wondering if you were doing them!

Yes we will do brilliantly :) stay positive, I've already bitten all my nails :(

I feel your pain for the history project, as I put hours & hours into my ag science project

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Ah sure if we don't get it we can do it again. It was great craic altogether! (Please insert sarcasm all over this post)

Hope the write ups are going well. They just take up so much time

• Advertisement

I was so worked up yesterday, I was nearly ready to walk away from the lc.
    Thank god it's over in 7 wks, as I definitely won't be back next year. Although I would be prepared to resit the hpat.

Yeah same goes

Leaving Cert NEVER AGAIN , HPAT I would do again!!

The history write up was done in an hour, but geography :eek: took ALL day!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Don't give up now! You're so close and whatever happens you won't look back on it as a regretful decision

Thanks Fiddles :)

Ah no I won't, the pressure of the Irish oral was getting to me, but thankfully it went well in the end :)

I'll be keeping my head down for the next 7 wks. Goodbye social life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Insensitive toothbrush

Having done a year of first med in Galway I have to say. I've done less study and less work than any of my friends in UCC or UCD. Don't know any trinity lads. The course is laid back and easy going once you cut through the hype I would reccomend

Will there be a bell curve of the HPAT results published monday? And will it include all results or just mature applicant's scores?

On a different note, does anyone know of any good schools in Dublin or anywhere on the train-line that cater for repeat students and is cheap? :) thanks.

I am doing the repeat leaving cert in Pearse College, on Clogher Road, which is near enough the luas and has a lot of buses nearby. It cost me 300 euro (I think) and I have to say everyone has been so fantastic and supportive there.

Good question about bell curve, I hope if they do, they show both sets of statistics.

I am doing the repeat leaving cert in Pearse College, on Clogher Road, which is near enough the luas and has a lot of buses nearby. It cost me 300 euro (I think) and I have to say everyone has been so fantastic and supportive there.

Good question about bell curve, I hope if they do, they show both sets of statistics.

ah cool! and would it be popular? :)
    yeah it's hard to know if they will....

• Advertisement

Well, honestly I just picked the one closest to me but I had looked into going to the institute and I just wasn't liking the vibe. I also have a friend who went there and got less than 400 points, I think that ultimately it doesn't matter where you go as long as you're willing to put the work in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement