Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

Does this mean that the minimum score for undergraduate entry (for LC candidates) would be 190+? :eek: Looking at those percentiles, scores on average must have really risen!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thomasdavis

borrch wrote: »
    Congradulations! You stand a very good chance but there is no way to know for sure. What hpat score did you get?

Thanks, I got 183 in HPAT and I have 560 from the leaving with consideration made for all the hocus pocus with HL maths and points above 550.

Ill just hold out til august and jump ship from my job if all goes well, I was hoping to resign on a good note as i may need the contacts in the future but its too risky to hand in my notice without an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jplc

149 devistated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heatproof

Thanks, I got 183 in HPAT and I have 560 from the leaving with consideration made for all the hocus pocus with HL maths and points above 550.

Ill just hold out til august and jump ship from my job if all goes well, I was hoping to resign on a good note as i may need the contacts in the future but its too risky to hand in my notice without an offer.

Well done! What percentile was that?, if you don't mind me asking

Heatproof wrote: »
    Well done! What percentile was that?, if you don't mind me asking

183 was in the 79th Percentile, I was wondering was that percentile value any good for predicting potential cut-offs but I guess alot depends on what happens in the LC among other things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Just when you thought points were going to stabilise, you get a jump like this (am I reading this wrong or has there not been a really significant jump from last year?). Does the department need any more proof that the HPAT is flawed, people are getting better at it with prep and it's as simple as that.

I know it shouldn't make a difference really but this jump is making me more anxious about it all. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

183 was in the 79th Percentile, I was wondering was that percentile value any good for predicting potential cut-offs but I guess alot depends on what happens in the LC among other things
    183 landed you in the 79th percentile this year accourding to last year curve 79th percentile was something around 175-180 not that big of a jump i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Slow Show wrote: »
    Just when you thought points were going to stabilise, you get a jump like this (am I reading this wrong or has there not been a really significant jump from last year?). Does the department need any more proof that the HPAT is flawed, people are getting better at it with prep and it's as simple as that.

I know it shouldn't make a difference really but this jump is making me more anxious about it all. :/

I second the anxiety...dreading 24th of June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Was each section marked out of 100? And lets say in section 3 u get 28 or 29 shud that give u at least 90 points..shud really b more

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Wasn't expecting the points to rise by such a large amount, feeling really pessimistic now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Is this this year ?

I would get that checked out as they all have to follow the curve for you to get higher points and a lower percentile doesn't really make sense.

:rolleyes: It's actually 56th percentile, the 42nd was the example when they were explaining it....clearly I can't be trusted to read information when crying.

:rolleyes: It's actually 56th percentile, the 42nd was the example when they were explaining it....clearly I can't be trusted to read information when crying.

:( Hard luck! Here's hoping you may still be in with a shot, your raw score might be enough? :)

How did you feel after you did the exam? If you felt particularly confident I think maybe more of us could be in for a shock in June. :(

0mega wrote: »
    :( Hard luck! Here's hoping you may still be in with a shot, your raw score might be enough? :)

How did you feel after you did the exam? If you felt particularly confident I think maybe more of us could be in for a shock in June. :(

I thought section 3 was diabolical, and I was correct but I had been confident in Section 1 and 2, I was definitely expecting better.

I got an email from RCSI looking for additional info a couple of weeks ago so please God, I have done enough.

So sorry that you are unhappy with your results, hope it all works out for you. Were your Section 1 and 2 over 60 ? Because if that's the case taking a year out to improve on Section 3 would be very doable.

Yeah, sec 1 was 60 which was very disappointing and I got 71 in sec 2.

Yeah, sec 1 was 60 which was very disappointing and I got 71 in sec 2.

Oh those are fantastic scores, Section 3 let you down, take it from someone who has tried section 3 with practice can skyrocket in points. Got 41 in it my first time, did a prep course just for the sec 3 techniques and got 63 in my second try. Section 2 is my dodgy section. Again, all you need are those techniques :)

Heatproof wrote: »
    Oh those are fantastic scores, Section 3 let you down, take it from someone who has tried section 3 with practice can skyrocket in points. Got 41 in it my first time, did a prep course just for the sec 3 techniques and got 63 in my second try. Section 2 is my dodgy section. Again, all you need are those techniques :)

Thank you Heatproof. I'm praying I get in as a mature otherwise I will be eating, drinking and breathing section 3 prep material next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

I'm actually ten times more worried now about the results than I was yesterday.

There was a serious increase in points which inevitably means an increase in the points come August . . .

I hate the fact that we don't have the results even though they're just there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I can't believe the points have gone up again. Whatever it's gonna be will make the 712 or whatever you need in 2009 look hilarious.

Ahhhhh well.
    I'm actually ten times more worried now about the results than I was yesterday.

There was a serious increase in points which inevitably means an increase in the points come August . . .

I hate the fact that we don't have the results even though they're just there ...

It actually makes very little difference, it's the percentiles that are important. A score of 200 sounds great but is still useless if it's in the 60th percentile. Only means the scores we got last year are even less relevant (but they were never really gonna be in the running this year anyway).

And yes sucks for us I guess! Don't even have the leaving cert to distract us this year, poor us :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

The rise in points will all be relative. If the points rise it doesn't leave you with less chance but rather the same, provided everyone's scores have risen. Look, what can we do now anyway? What's done is done. :)
    Well Done/ Commiserations to all who got their results today! :D/ :(

• Advertisement

pretty nervous now aggh..duz it give raw scores with percentiles and if so wat are they like?

amicus wrote: »
    pretty nervous now aggh..duz it give raw scores with percentiles and if so wat are they like?

The most telling is 183 putting you in the 79th percentile. Would that mean 190 is perhaps only 85th or in around?

Not necessarily..alot of scores cud fluctuate close to 183..like 190 cud b 90th but not likely..ur more than likely correct...but hey maybe we did better than expected

Not necessarily..alot of scores cud fluctuate close to 183..like 190 cud b 90th but not likely..ur more than likely correct...but hey maybe we did better than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

When is it expected that matures get offered interviews - I can't seem to find dates online anywhere other than .. May.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Well if I got 181 and this is 76th and 183 is 79th this is a 3% jump for 2points. I would assume it accelerates after that. So you could be right amicus.

Suegrabbit that only place I know that will off interviews soon is RCSI. I was advised we would be contacted by the end of this week if we are offered an interview and they will be held 15/16 th may.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Peace_Serenity

190 is 87th percentile precisely

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Imma be a nerve wrack until June, and I'm also gonna be on holiday when the results are released...not good. Gonna ruin my vacation it is -.-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Interviews are only for mature students right? I'm assuming undergrads don't do any interview/personal statement type thing...

Oh and well done to those who did well, and sorry to those who didn't, but if you're dream is to become a MD, you will come back with better results next year, or the year after.

SK.

• Advertisement

190 is 87th percentile precisely

we could probably plot the curve if all the matures who got their results yesterday put them up with the percentile, of course its not going to change anything :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement