Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Hey all,

I have emailed RCSI, UCD, TCD, NUIG and UCC this morning asking them when we can expect to hear back about interviews.

I know a couple of people have rang already and were told we'd hear this week. I will post whatever replies I get, here anyway.

UCD say
    ''Now that the HPAT results have been released for mature applicants, the School of Medicine is currently shortlisting applicants for interview. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted directly by the School in the coming weeks.

Official offers issue via the CAO in early July.''

That doesn't give us much of an idea :( UCC and NUIG both said they were passing on the email to the appropriate person and they would then be in touch. No word from TCD or RCSI yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

we could probably plot the curve if all the matures who got their results yesterday put them up with the percentile, of course its not going to change anything :(

Wat was 190 last year? Id say 93 or sumtin..bit of an increase alright

UCC say :

'We have not yet completed the review process, but will be contacting successful applicants early next week to invite them to interview; this year, interviews will be held on 17th May.'

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

amicus wrote: »
    Wat was 190 last year? Id say 93 or sumtin..bit of an increase alright

According to last years results 190 was 91st percentile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Can some other Undergrad please check their CAO form and see what it says under HPAT results... Mine says 0 :O like i know they aren't meant to be out yet but is this a mistake or normal? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Can some other Undergrad please check their CAO form and see what it says under HPAT results... Mine says 0 :O like i know they aren't meant to be out yet but is this a mistake or normal? :)

Perfectly normal, it's been like that for a while now. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Yup, all 0s here too! :) ... they have the exam number down already though, creepy enough considering how no official school details etc were submitted ;) they know errything

great! Hahaha I know!

okay, i know this is a touchy issue but what do ye think would be better proposition: Repeat Leaving and HPAT or take biomed and try for GEM???

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

great! Hahaha I know!

okay, i know this is a touchy issue but what do ye think would be better proposition: Repeat Leaving and HPAT or take biomed and try for GEM???

From experience I would say take biomed and GEM. The GAMSAT is much easier than the hpat

• Advertisement

Oh God, much as I'm hating on HPAT, I still think it is an easier exam than GAMSAT!!!

Depends how good you are at sciences/ speed writing! Try and get some gamsat practice materials and see what you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Wats everyone doing for irish essays?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

UCC say :

'We have not yet completed the review process, but will be contacting successful applicants early next week to invite them to interview; this year, interviews will be held on 17th May.'

That's really soon - was it Connie Mulcahy said that? Jeez.. my weekend is ruined with the suspense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

Anyone hear anything from TCD re:interview dates?

Got an interview for rcsi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sherlook

Just been reading back on people saying the percentiles for this year, I got 168 last year which was 69th percentile so it looks like people are doing better this year than last year.... nervousness has started already, long wait to June 24th ....52 days

are you sure about the 2.1? i only got a 2.2, but when i was in the waiting room for an interview in ucc 2 years ago, there were people there with 2.1 degrees. Might have changed since though
    With regards to standard undergraduate entry can anyone offer me any comfort/advice with regards to trends in entry level points.

I am currently working full time and want to get into medicine in UCC. I cant get into UCC as a mature student as I already have a 2.1 degree and they now reserve mature student places for those that dont have a 2.1 which is fair enough. I am also pursuing the graduate route but dont think I faired too well in the GAMSAT. After todays HPAT result I have 743 which would have got me in to UCC last year but only just. While Im happy enough I was hoping for better, I wanted to be sure I would get in so i could give 2 months notice at work. Now I have to wait until offers go out in August which will cut it very fine for handing notice etc. especially if I have to wait for a 2nd round offer.

This is somewhat wishful thinking but does anyone know if there any way to gauge likely entry level points for 2013 without waiting for the leaving cert results and round one offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Yes, it changed this year. Anyone with a 2.1 must entry via GEM and can not apply for mature Entry.

are you sure about the 2.1? i only got a 2.2, but when i was in the waiting room for an interview in ucc 2 years ago, there were people there with 2.1 degrees. Might have changed since though

• Registered Users Posts: 8 deltaman2012

Hi,

I am desperately looking for good HPAT books and courses. Any advice/tips from good scorers?

Thanks.

Excellent
    spacecat wrote: »
    Yes, it changed this year. Anyone with a 2.1 must entry via GEM and can not apply for mature Entry.

• Advertisement

Lately all of the study i'm doing is overwhelming. I am absolutely wrecked! I seem to have disimproved in most of my subjects and nothing seems to be going in. And since the hpat didn't appear to go very well, i feel all my hard work is in vain.
    I find it hard to sleep as i can't stop thinking about what the hell i am going to do if I don't get Medicine. Do i repeat the LC and hpat, repeat the hpat or take another course and eventually do the GAMSAT?
    right now the workload is overwhelming me and there isn't enough time to get it all studied!
    Any advice for a desperado?

P.S. I realise that i sound so pessimistic and negative and that really isn't me, it's just i know we are all in the same boat and no one else understands the pressure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Hey outnumbered,

I'm sorry to hear how your feeling. If it's any consolation I think you have what's called 'burn-out'. I know it may be hard but you may need some time out for all the study. Take a few hours and go for a walk or watch a movie even go to the pub :D. Some time away can work wonders.

I know of a lady that qualified as a Doctor at the tender age of 52 (ish). Most Mature Students in the UK are aged between 30 and 50. So, try not get hung up on age and time.

Once your on the Medicine course all will fall into place. You have reached your goal and that's a lot of pressure off and you can just focus on the Degree.

For now, take baby steps. Focus on what you need to do today, then this week, then this month etc. :)

Lately all of the study i'm doing is overwhelming. I am absolutely wrecked! I seem to have disimproved in most of my subjects and nothing seems to be going in. And since the hpat didn't appear to go very well, i feel all my hard work is in vain.
    I find it hard to sleep as i can't stop thinking about what the hell i am going to do if I don't get Medicine. Do i repeat the LC and hpat, repeat the hpat or take another course and eventually do the GAMSAT?
    right now the workload is overwhelming me and there isn't enough time to get it all studied!

P.S. I realise that i sound so pessimistic and negative and that really isn't me, it's just i know we are all in the same boat and no one else understands the pressure. :)

spacecat wrote: »
    Hey outnumbered,

I'm sorry to hear how your feeling. If it's any consolation I think you have what's called 'burn-out'. I know it may be hard but you may need some time out for all the study. Take a few hours and go for a walk or watch a movie even go to the pub :D. Some time away can work wonders.

I know of a lady that qualified as a Doctor at the tender age of 52 (ish). Most Mature Students in the UK are aged between 30 and 50. So, try not get hung up on age and time.

Once your on the Medicine course all will fall into place. You have reached your goal and that's a lot of pressure off and you can just focus on the Degree.

For now, take baby steps. Focus on what you need to do today, then this week, then this month etc. :)
    Thanks spacecat! means a lot. I will try to take a break now but i find my whole day consists of study or feeling i should be studying! anyway, at least I know what i have to do, just doing it is the problem.
    And what is really annoying is people in my year already planning accommodation and then there's me, working harder than any of them, and will probably end up repeating! :/
    Anyway, i may crack on. only 30 ish days left! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Thanks spacecat! means a lot. I will try to take a break now but i find my whole day consists of study or feeling i should be studying! anyway, at least I know what i have to do, just doing it is the problem.
    And what is really annoying is people in my year already planning accommodation and then there's me, working harder than any of them, and will probably end up repeating! :/
    Anyway, i may crack on. only 30 ish days left! :P

If it's any help I have a friend who repeated 3 times and got into medicine in his third, and he's 22 now, so don't give up, now whenever I remind him of the LC and HPAT he can barely remember he did them, nevermind three times! So just goes to show, once you're in, you're in, and there's noting else that matters or counts just how hard you study to become the best doctor you can.

Oh and not to mention there's a lad down the road who's 26 doing his LC/HPAT after he worked as a barman for a good 7 years after his original LC haha.

Believe me, medicine is the only career that has no age limit, I've even heard of doctors in wheelchairs and sure wasn't it last year I was talking to an intern doctor in Tallaght Hospital who was 38!? He just completed his medical degree.

Anyhow, best of luck in the LC, I'll be in your seat this time next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Chin up, you're definitely not alone. Even if you feel the HPAT wasn't great, if you give the LC your best shot you'll hopefully never have to worry about doing that again. Don't get too hung up about next year, you have a while between the end of the LC/HPAT results and CAO deadline to think about that, don't worry about it until you have to but look at the end of the day there's loads of options, if you wanna get there badly enough you'll get there in the end. :)

Oh and definitely take some time out today, seriously I've been there, it's hard to step away because of the guilt but you're not doing yourself any favours by pushing yourself. Try get out and do something you enjoy and get back to work tomorrow. And it'll all be over soon. :) Good luck!

Slow Show wrote: »
    Chin up, you're definitely not alone. Even if you feel the HPAT wasn't great, if you give the LC your best shot you'll hopefully never have to worry about doing that again. Don't get too hung up about next year, you have a while between the end of the LC/HPAT results and CAO deadline to think about that, don't worry about it until you have to but look at the end of the day there's loads of options, if you wanna get there badly enough you'll get there in the end. :)

Oh and definitely take some time out today, seriously I've been there, it's hard to step away because of the guilt but you're not doing yourself any favours by pushing yourself. Try get out and do something you enjoy and get back to work tomorrow. And it'll all be over soon. :) Good luck!

Yeah you are right :) it's good i'm not the only one feelin that way :P
    haha yes, as i right this i am just back from a good aul swim :P
    thanks

If it's any help I have a friend who repeated 3 times and got into medicine in his third, and he's 22 now, so don't give up, now whenever I remind him of the LC and HPAT he can barely remember he did them, nevermind three times! So just goes to show, once you're in, you're in, and there's noting else that matters or counts just how hard you study to become the best doctor you can.

Oh and not to mention there's a lad down the road who's 26 doing his LC/HPAT after he worked as a barman for a good 7 years after his original LC haha.

Believe me, medicine is the only career that has no age limit, I've even heard of doctors in wheelchairs and sure wasn't it last year I was talking to an intern doctor in Tallaght Hospital who was 38!? He just completed his medical degree.

Anyhow, best of luck in the LC, I'll be in your seat this time next year!
    thanks- that is helpful :) suppose i'm not in the worst position- only 17 :)
    thank you!

I'd suggest forming a study group for friends for subjects where the answers are short and snappy, e.g. biology and chemistry and just constantly ask each other short questions, like "the definition of transpiration/osmosis/hormone/vaccine" etc, and just see if you know everything! Those kind of study sessions REALLY help for the sciences I find..
    Also, I did some schneaky calculation last night because I was desperate and whatnot, presuming you do well in your LC, which I'm sure you will, You'd only need a 62-63-65 in your HPAT sections in order to rack up 195 points, which would CERTAINLY be enough to get you into medicine as long as you get around 580 in the LC. So that's what, 4 A1s and 2 A2s :P
    Things aren't that bad, and I'm sure everything will come together sooner or later.
    Focus on the positives rather than the negatives!

comeclosa wrote: »
    I'd suggest forming a study group for friends for subjects where the answers are short and snappy, e.g. biology and chemistry and just constantly ask each other short questions, like "the definition of transpiration/osmosis/hormone/vaccine" etc, and just see if you know everything! Those kind of study sessions REALLY help for the sciences I find..
    Also, I did some schneaky calculation last night because I was desperate and whatnot, presuming you do well in your LC, which I'm sure you will, You'd only need a 62-63-65 in your HPAT sections in order to rack up 195 points, which would CERTAINLY be enough to get you into medicine as long as you get around 580 in the LC. So that's what, 4 A1s and 2 A2s :P
    Things aren't that bad, and I'm sure everything will come together sooner or later.
    Focus on the positives rather than the negatives!
    I like that idea! might do that :):)
    haha yeah that actually doesn't seem so bad when you put is as such but that is hard to get! :P
    well actually, the above points would get you a wonderful 605 points if you are counting higher level maths! :P -- not so bad! thanks. :D

• Advertisement

I like that idea! might do that :):)
    haha yeah that actually doesn't seem so bad when you put is as such but that is hard to get! :P
    well actually, the above points would get you a wonderful 605 points if you are counting higher level maths! :P -- not so bad! thanks. :D

605 is what, 561 when converted to med points :P Add the 190 (just because 195 is as you say, HARD :P) and you have 751 points. Now the cut off for trinity, which was the highest, last year was 746, and I'd say points couldn't go up by more than 3-4... so even if points do go up to 749-750.. 751 could get you into Trinners, and if not that then DEFINITELY the other colleges, I mean, Galway was what, around 8-10 points lower last year? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement