Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

I have 556 points from the LC last year so on the fence. . . Hurry on June 24th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

I have 556 points from the LC last year so on the fence. . . Hurry on June 24th!

How did hpat go in comparison to last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Good position to be in, 185 in the HPAT and you're pretty much guaranteed a place (assuming you've applied everywhere! 185 is what.. about 83rd percentile this year!

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

Thanks guys! This might sound silly but I didn't even do the Hpat last year didn't expect those points! And yes cork is my no.1 , Galway second!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Danielle2695

need some advice

Im a sixth year student and for the last 2 years i was almost certain i wanted to do general science preferably in UCD or TCD. I'm quite good at bio and chemistry and id expect to get around 540 points in the LC considering i got 520 in the mocks :)

My problem is i actually think i should do medicine. The course just looks so exciting and i love the clinical aspect which is missing from doing general science :( but i just dont know if im capable of those points...

is it worth repeating or perhaps taking a year out to do the hpat ?? or should i play it safe and take general science ??

thanks guys :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Threads merged

Of course you should re apply and do medicine if it's what you want. Remember also that if you get the points you can take science this year anyway sit the hpat during first year, as many students do. If you get an offer for medicine the following year it's often the case that fees can be waivered and your year in science to count as your pre med year. New thread about it here.

If it is what you decide to do get in touch before you accept the offer, but I know a few people personally who have done it and haven't had to pay the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

need some advice

Im a sixth year student and for the last 2 years i was almost certain i wanted to do general science preferably in UCD or TCD. I'm quite good at bio and chemistry and id expect to get around 540 points in the LC considering i got 520 in the mocks :)

My problem is i actually think i should do medicine. The course just looks so exciting and i love the clinical aspect which is missing from doing general science :( but i just dont know if im capable of those points...

is it worth repeating or perhaps taking a year out to do the hpat ?? or should i play it safe and take general science ??

thanks guys :D

Absolutely, if you get the points then as the above poster said, do the science course for a year and the the HPAT, if you don't get the points repeat if you really do.want it, its worth it in the end! Of course there's always grad Med also! But the worst thing would be to spend your life going "Well what if I……", if you want to do it, put yourself out there for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

amicus wrote: »
    Well how did the mocks go? And how more prepped do you feel now compared to days leading up to mock

585 in mocks, feeling alot more prepared now than I did a month before the mocks. I ended up just putting in 1 physio and leaving the 2 pharmacy options, and adding in a food science course. At least I have one option down that isn't over 500 points now :pac:

woopah92 wrote: »
    585 in mocks, feeling alot more prepared now than I did a month before the mocks. I ended up just putting in 1 physio and leaving the 2 pharmacy options, and adding in a food science course. At least I have one option down that isn't over 500 points now :pac:

with 585 (557) plus 185 wud prob guarantee you a place.defo put physio down..your not gona go down from your mocks .i felt i was unprepared in mocks and i did really well.so in a months time , oh **** a month , i shud be super prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

sooo I finished biomed exam today and I think it went quite alright. And partying tonight I convinced four medical students here in Bergen (Norway) that I was an exchange student from Ireland. We had the longest most serious talk I've ever had drinking and I left them genuienly thinking I'd had a blast year and picked up some norwegian.

oooh yeah. that was fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

amicus wrote: »
    with 585 (557) plus 185 wud prob guarantee you a place.defo put physio down..your not gona go down from your mocks .i felt i was unprepared in mocks and i did really well.so in a months time , oh **** a month , i shud be super prepared

Please leave the Txtspk elsewhere.

From the forum charter: "No txt spek pls. it suxors."

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

Anyone hear anything about mature interviews, other than RCSI? Any word from TCD yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

SueGrabbit wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about mature interviews, other than RCSI? Any word from TCD yet?

Yeah, I've interviews for Tcd and UCC next week.

Yeah, I've interviews for Tcd and UCC next week.

How did you do in the HPAT?

How did you do in the HPAT?

167 and I've an interview for RCSI. I think the hpat is just a very rough way of sorting applicants

167 and I've an interview for RCSI. I think the hpat is just a very rough way of sorting applicants

Bad sign then if I didnt get an offer for an interview. Had 176 in Hpat, thought Id deffo get an interview.

Bad sign then if I didnt get an offer for an interview. Had 176 in Hpat, thought Id deffo get an interview.

:( I'm sorry you've not heard back. TCD did say they might invite more people to interview after the first round of interviews. Perhaps request feedback from UCC and RCSI as that was a great hpat score!

:( I'm sorry you've not heard back. TCD did say they might invite more people to interview after the first round of interviews. Perhaps request feedback from UCC and RCSI as that was a great hpat score!

Only applied to Trinity. Have Schols and cant afford it elsewhere. :(

Only applied to Trinity. Have Schols and cant afford it elsewhere. :(

Argh, that is a pity but if you've not heard a direct no then you're still in with a chance :)

Argh, that is a pity but if you've not heard a direct no then you're still in with a chance :)

Yeah, gotta have some kind of hope eh?

• Advertisement

Yeah, gotta have some kind of hope eh?

Exactly!!! Positivity all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

Keep having a dream that I get 186 in the HPAT, when 190-ish is what I'd need :( Really hope this isn't a premonition of what's coming down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

I feel like i'm doing nothing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

This may be a rather stupid ceist but when does one actually start "Learning off" stuff for the Leaving cert. Like I just am doing exam questions and writing out notes and it doesn't stick..... When do I actually start learning the stuff off so i will remember it for the exam day? :)

This may be a rather stupid ceist but when does one actually start "Learning off" stuff for the Leaving cert. Like I just am doing exam questions and writing out notes and it doesn't stick..... When do I actually start learning the stuff off so i will remember it for the exam day? :)

Now. These next three weeks are vital! Dna has been isolated , cut with restriction enzymes..I think you know what the third stage is .(weird analogy) je sais bien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

BKJXWveCIAAbQuc.jpg

Saw this today on Twitter, I got some Medentr¥ Section 2 cartoon flash back!

Hah thats brilliant

I really wish they had released the results the same time as last year; I'm sick of waiting.. and studying!

How good would you feel if you got 210 or 220.You could just stop studying

• Advertisement

Well I'm not doing the leaving this year, so if they were out a month or so ago I would have just become a full time alcoholic. Unfortunately I'm stuck studying for college exams for lectures I've never been to! Oh well, finished in a week :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement