Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

Goin90 wrote: »
    Well I'm not doing the leaving this year, so if they were out a month or so ago I would have just become a full time alcoholic. Unfortunately I'm stuck studying for college exams for lectures I've never been to! Oh well, finished in a week :D

I'm the same doing these college exams without the slightest idea if I'll be using them next year or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

What are you doing now if you don't mind me asking? I was trying to defer my exams but the college were having none of it

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

Goin90 wrote: »
    What are you doing now if you don't mind me asking? I was trying to defer my exams but the college were having none of it

Biochem, UCC. Hopefully medicine in UCC instead in September, what about you?

I'm doing Dietetics in DIT. Still not sure where I'm planning on doing medicine if I get it, have Trinity number 1 for now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

i thought i should come and ask this question here rather then make a whole thread for it as there seem to be plenty of intelligent folks around here. One of the integration result says that if you integrate 1/x+a you get Ln(x+a) +c (integration constant) If and only if the number beside the x is nothing but one, can you use this result of powers of x? like X squared/cubed or the x must be to a single power of one? this is really bugging me answers really appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

ahmdoda wrote: »
    i thought i should come and ask this question here rather then make a whole thread for it as there seem to be plenty of intelligent folks around here. One of the integration result says that if you integrate 1/x+a you get Ln(x+a) +c (integration constant) If and only if the number beside the x is nothing but one, can you use this result of powers of x? like X squared/cubed or the x must be to a single power of one? this is really bugging me answers really appreciated!

Do you mean like what would you do if it was 1/x^2? If so no you can't, if you need to integrate the likes of that you'd invert the fraction which means you'd turn 1/x^2 to x^-2 and then integrate that.

Slow Show wrote: »
    Do you mean like what would you do if it was 1/x^2? If so no you can't, if you need to integrate the likes of that you'd invert the fraction which means you'd turn 1/x^2 to x^-2 and then integrate that.
    ah thanks man really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

@Goin90, whats your experience been like of dietetics in DIT? Im thinking about putting it down as a second option.....

waiting4 wrote: »
    @Goin90, whats your experience been like of dietetics in DIT? Im thinking about putting it down as a second option.....

It's a very intense course. The hours are long, but we didn't get many assignments to do. There were days we'd be in college until half 8 at night.

Time-wise Semester 1 was worse, so if you're planning on doing this while studying for the HPAT it may not be the best idea. I didn't know it was so time intensive until I was in and I was close to dropping out, but in the end I didn't.

Subject wise, there's nothing too difficult. I had LC Biology and Chemistry and didn't find anything too bad. Some of the topics are extentions of Leaving Cert material so it's not too pressing.

However, I was expecting it to be more nutrition based. Most of our Dietetics lectures dealt with health policy (which is incredibly dense and boring) and diets such as vegetarianism, veganism and ethnic diets. I do a lot of my own reading into nutrition in general and sports nutrition and was disappointed in this regard.

Oh yeah, you'll be in DIT Kevin Street all first year, but you'll be able to avail of Trinity's services; gym, library etc..

There's also a high ratio of girls to fellas, we have 17 girls and 5 fellas, but because of the small size you get to know everyone pretty well.

So yeah, there you have it, if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hi all,
    Is there anybody who has gotten Medicine through the HEAR scheme?
    Or does anyone know how many points it is generally reduced by, if any?
    I know it all depends on the standard but if anyone has any idea, please share.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

AHEAD know a lot about this stuff

www.ahead.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Finished School today! Wow these 5 years have gone SUPER fast!!
    So, Leaving cert night out tomorrow and then 2 weeks of intense study!!
    30 days until it's over!!! Cannot wait!
    Best of luck to all in this final hurdle.

Finished School today! Wow these 5 years have gone SUPER fast!!
    So, Leaving cert night out tomorrow and then 2 weeks of intense study!!
    30 days until it's over!!! Cannot wait!
    Best of luck to all in this final hurdle.
    haha congratulation crazy to think that god dam 12 years of education all come down to this year!!

ahmdoda wrote: »
    haha congratulation crazy to think that god dam 12 years of education all come down to this year!!

I know it's crazy, right?
    I think it's all won or lost in these two weeks to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

I find it amusing that at this moment in time the biggest thing on my mind is the hpat..Dont i have exams to sit?

Are people expecting these exams to be 2012 like or nasty 2011 like because 2011 was probably the worst year ever for most subjects.Biology was also slightly more difficult last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I thought Biology was great last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Lads this time next month we will have gotten our HPAT results! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I feel like I'm the only person whose barely even thought about this since we did the exam!

I thought Biology was great last year.

Ye it was grand .Just other years were even more accessible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

Lads this time next month we will have gotten our HPAT results! :S

That, is scary ****. I'll be in Spain at that time, not sure if I should check results right away or wait till I get back...

Just did 2007 chemistry paper as a mock, got 96% yayyyyyy! :D delighted!

Just did 2007 chemistry paper as a mock, got 96% yayyyyyy! :D delighted!

Félicitations

KristineKJ wrote: »
    That, is scary ****. I'll be in Spain at that time, not sure if I should check results right away or wait till I get back...

Partly the reason why i aint going away untill end of june :P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Hey I'm doing the leaving cert this year, and medicine is my #1. Conscious of the Irish system, so I'd like to have backups! UK is a no go obviously!

Can anyone recommend a good place to study medicine abroad? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Anyone applying anywhere in Europe? (Not UK LOLzzzz). I need to, no idea where though!

meleanor wrote: »
    Anyone applying anywhere in Europe? (Not UK LOLzzzz). I need to, no idea where though!

Can I just say that anywhere in Europe bar maybe Italy and Malta, are so expensive and not particularly worth it without giving it another go first.
    I researched this soooo much. The thing is, although they take the education a little further ie. doing your internship as part of the degree, this makes it so much more competitive to come back to work here. You really have to think of these things. I have loads more that i can tell you but I'm so busy at the moment. Some places are corrupt and only pass you if you pay a bribe, while some are decent. You should visit the intended place before going as it's 6 years living there!
    I feel it's more effort than it's worth. Think about it, 9000£ a year + will get you medicine over there in a not so reputable place and may not get a job here. whereas, even if you did GEM here, it will be somewhat more expensive but it's top class education, 2 degrees, and guarenteed internship/training in a modern country with modern facilites (Debatable but compared to far east europe!)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

Can I just say that anywhere in Europe bar maybe Italy and Malta, are so expensive and not particularly worth it without giving it another go first.
    I researched this soooo much. The thing is, although they take the education a little further ie. doing your internship as part of the degree, this makes it so much more competitive to come back to work here. You really have to think of these things. I have loads more that i can tell you but I'm so busy at the moment. Some places are corrupt and only pass you if you pay a bribe, while some are decent. You should visit the intended place before going as it's 6 years living there!
    I feel it's more effort than it's worth. Think about it, 9000£ a year + will get you medicine over there in a not so reputable place and may not get a job here. whereas, even if you did GEM here, it will be somewhat more expensive but it's top class education, 2 degrees, and guarenteed internship/training in a modern country with modern facilites (Debatable but compared to far east europe!)

Hungary run several extremely reputable programs, especially Semmelweis. You get a top class education there and its very transferable back to Ireland. Granted it is ~12K per year, but entry for Irish students is very easy and depending on your background they can provide advanced entry.

Chemistry
    Can someone please look over this Water of Crystallisation question and tell me if it's right.
    Okay so I have a Water of crystalisation question from the 1995 paper. I think I have it but as there's no marking scheme, I need to be sure. so if anyone could do it and post the answer it would be brilliant!
    7.77g NA2CO3XH20 was made up to 500cm^3. 25cm was titrated agaainst 0.075 molar h2so4. average titre is 20. ratio is 1:1.
    a) conc of na2co3xh20 in g dm^-3
    b) in mol dm^-3.
    c) hence find the % water in sodium carbonate crystals and the value of X.
    My answers are: a) 15.54 g/l,,, b) 0.06 and c) 59% with x being 8.5. is this right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Am I the only one who's more nervous about the HPAT results than the actual LC exams? :/

And for the Irish P1 essay, will 3 and half pages be enough? Or do I need to write more?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement