Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

0mega wrote: »
    I did a prep exam yesterday and I was thoroughly disappointed with my results..

25/48 = Section 1
    38/44 = Section 2
    20/42 = Section 3

I'm so much better at Section 2 than the others, Section 3 in particular I find my mind just blanks when I'm looking at all these shapes and patterns. I wouldn't have a hope of getting into medicine with these kinda of scores, right?

Sup me, sucks doesn't it?

I seem to finish Section 2 with looooads of time to spare and getting very few wrong but the other two...ugh. If there was no such thing as time constraints, I think Section 1 would be fine, I can do the vast majority of the questions, I just don't have the time to do them all (or even half) well. I think for me it's going to be a case of devising a decent strategy. As for S3, I hate it. :pac: My only consolation is that I'm not as awful at it as I was a few weeks ago, so that's something I guess, long way to go until March I guess.

But yeah, trying to remain positive about it all. It'd be worse if I was awful at everything, at least I have Section 2 to not stress out about! :pac: And I'm just gonna keep ticking away at 1 and 3, at the moment I have as good a chance of any as achieving 180 (oh God if I ended up getting over 200 I actually think I'd bawl for about three hours with delight), but yeah, just gotta chill and keep going I guess.

/personal pep talk

Sorry for the double post but...

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/news/currency-of-results1

Eh? That's news.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Slow Show wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post but...

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/news/currency-of-results1

Eh? That's news.

What does this mean? It's quite vague...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    What does this mean? It's quite vague...

Afaik, at the minute the HPAT results last for 2 years. This might mean that they are considering having results only last 1 year, or for a longer period of time. I'd be assuming the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Yes you're right but some people are just naturally good at the h-pat sort of questions, which is a disadvantage for the rest of us who are not as good

Yes but you could apply the same logic to the other side of the argument that people who aren't good at rote learning are at a disadvantage in the leaving cert to those who are.

At the end of the day, this is the system that we're currently stuck with and while it mightn't be the best system or suit everyone, its just what we've got to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Yes but you could apply the same logic to the other side of the argument that people who aren't good at rote learning are at a disadvantage in the leaving cert to those who are.

At the end of the day, this is the system that we're currently stuck with and while it mightn't be the best system or suit everyone, its just what we've got to deal with

Yeh thats true:rolleyes:

Maybe medicine is just not for me then....... It's just so upsetting to have something you've always wanted to just not be an option any more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Maybe medicine is just not for me then....... It's just so upsetting to have something you've always wanted to just not be an option any more :(

Well you have no chance if you give up! Keep trying I'd say. Better to fail and say you did your best than looking back with regrets thinking you should've tried (if you'll excuse the cliché philosophy moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Just tried my first ever section of a HPAT paper, got 28/44. I don't know what to make of that result, looking back I think I was reading too fast and I missed a good few small words, also some questions I just had no idea how to tackle. What's the score like? Below average? Average?

Just tried my first ever section of a HPAT paper, got 28/44. I don't know what to make of that result, looking back I think I was reading too fast and I missed a good few small words, also some questions I just had no idea how to tackle. What's the score like? Below average? Average?

I'd say that's average to borderline above average. :)

I'd say that's average to borderline above average. :)

WOOHOO! :pac: Well, that's good news. I'm gonna do the independent academy's HPAT prep course, I think. It's an awfully daunting exam, if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

Don't give up. You're in 5th year, right? You have loads of time to improve. If it's what you want to do, you do whatever you can to make it happen and don't let anyone or anything tell you that you can't. I'm at the point of almost laughing at how diabolical I am at Section 3 but I just have to hope that I'll improve by March and it'll all work out. And if it doesn't, so be it. There are more ways than one to achieve your dream, whatever it is. There are more medical schools than the five (six if you count UL) in Ireland, and different ways of entry. There are other ways to get into medicine in Ireland, even if the path is slightly longer and more winding. It's easy to see one, clear path but there's loads of others, you just have to look a bit harder for them. It'll work out, but it won't if you don't try. :) Don't stress, don't feel disheartened, it'll all work out for the best in the end, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I feel awful, my ukcat is in 2 weeks and I haven't done anything for it at all :( I bought a book but bring totally honest I haven't had time to practice. I start my homework at about 5.15 and some nights I finish at 10.30 or 11 and I am just too tired to even think about it then! I feel awful thinking that I will do badly and throw away my chances of medicine if it is going to be like this for the Hpat. I haven't even done one practice test :( and for the pictures for the ukcat I have no idea what the answer is! Why does everything have to be so stressful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laurenl123

Hey I really want to do med but i'm in lc now and i'm not sure if it's too late to start studying hard for both the lc and the hpat?? any advice? Also any general advice on what to do about the hpat like get a prep course or not. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Don't give up. You're in 5th year, right? You have loads of time to improve. If it's what you want to do, you do whatever you can to make it happen and don't let anyone or anything tell you that you can't. I'm at the point of almost laughing at how diabolical I am at Section 3 but I just have to hope that I'll improve by March and it'll all work out. And if it doesn't, so be it. There are more ways than one to achieve your dream, whatever it is. There are more medical schools than the five (six if you count UL) in Ireland, and different ways of entry. There are other ways to get into medicine in Ireland, even if the path is slightly longer and more winding. It's easy to see one, clear path but there's loads of others, you just have to look a bit harder for them. It'll work out, but it won't if you don't try. :) Don't stress, don't feel disheartened, it'll all work out for the best in the end, really!

Thank you, that's some really uplifting advice :D I can always count on a nice person on boards to cheer me up :D

I feel awful, my ukcat is in 2 weeks and I haven't done anything for it at all :( I bought a book but bring totally honest I haven't had time to practice. I start my homework at about 5.15 and some nights I finish at 10.30 or 11 and I am just too tired to even think about it then! I feel awful thinking that I will do badly and throw away my chances of medicine if it is going to be like this for the Hpat. I haven't even done one practice test :( and for the pictures for the ukcat I have no idea what the answer is! Why does everything have to be so stressful :(

I'm just going to be totally honest and say make time. Getting into medicine > doing homework (which is often pointless assignments anyway).

2 hours a night for the next two weeks and at the very least you'll feel more confident going into the exam. I know it may sound like I've got a bad attitude, but if you find that some pieces of homework aren't important or aren't likely to be checked by the teacher, perhaps put them aside for the next two weeks. You have to prioritise. :p

I'm just going to be totally honest and say make time. Getting into medicine > doing homework (which is often pointless assignments anyway).

2 hours a night for the next two weeks and at the very least you'll feel more confident going into the exam. I know it may sound like I've got a bad attitude, but if you find that some pieces of homework aren't important or aren't likely to be checked by the teacher, perhaps put them aside for the next two weeks. You have to prioritise. :p
    I've done that :/ I know it's more important but nearly every teacher checks homework but I will probably leave a good amount out or the next few weeks.
    How has everyone else been getting on with it? Those pictures are actually awful!

Lolz it must seem like all I ever do is refresh the HPAT website but if anyone was curious about the whole practise paper debacle...

http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/prepare/practice-material/

Meh, I was hoping for something more dramatic like the complete abolishment of Section 3. :pac:

Lolz it must seem like all I ever do is refresh the HPAT website but if anyone was curious about the whole practise paper debacle...

http://hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/prepare/practice-material/

Meh, I was hoping for something more dramatic like the complete abolishment of Section 3. :pac:

Or practice paper 3 :pac: I was hoping it might be a nice light green. D:

Sorry, for the double post. But try the BMAT too no? Seems a lot easier time-wise. But you'd definitely have to have done the three sciences to have a good chance at it. You'd have to go to Oxford or Cambridge or a few London colleges though.

I've done that :/ I know it's more important but nearly every teacher checks homework but I will probably leave a good amount out or the next few weeks.
    How has everyone else been getting on with it? Those pictures are actually awful!

It's definitely more difficult than the HPAT.. particularly the abstract reasoning. I find it hard getting quantative reasoning done in the time too. The verbal reasoning is mostly okay and I haven't looked at decision analysis too much, it just looks odd to me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Hi guys!

Can some one tell me what the story is with the new practise e tests are they just the same as the hard copy booklets or is there an actual change in the format of the hpat ???

Also what is up with this currency of results stuff? Only valid for one year or something else crazy. On my first reading I thought it might mean that the HPAT might be worth less or more ... Anyone agree or disagree?

And last but not least was anyone at that HPAT information evening in UCC last night ? Was it any good? Night head to the Galway one tonight but I dont know whether its worth my while :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lolocheese

I'm planning on sitting the hpat in 2013 do I want to do a course before christmas. Does anyone know what the best course is? Which is better out of the med- entry, leeson street and the independent academy etc?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mayo4sam12

My HPAT result doesn't tell the colleges how hard I would work if I got into medicine. Absolute joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

lolocheese wrote: »
    I'm planning on sitting the hpat in 2013 do I want to do a course before christmas. Does anyone know what the best course is? Which is better out of the med- entry, leeson street and the independent academy etc?

Thanks!

General consensus from what I hear is med- entry, but don't pay the full price, get the group deal with a fellow boardsie, if you don't know anyone else willing to do it.

I did the practice test for the ukcat on the Internet today. I did really badly and I feel so disheartened. I only got about half of the questions done in 3 sections and even then I didn't do very well. I obviously need to work on my timing but I really didn't expect to do as badly. I feel as if I have no chance :( I'm good at maths and problem solving yet quantitative reasoning was my worst. Also I just don't know what's going on in the pictures and when I'm nervous or stressed i panic and my mind goes blank. Does anyone have any advice?

I did the practice test for the ukcat on the Internet today. I did really badly and I feel so disheartened. I only got about half of the questions done in 3 sections and even then I didn't do very well. I obviously need to work on my timing but I really didn't expect to do as badly. I feel as if I have no chance :( I'm good at maths and problem solving yet quantitative reasoning was my worst. Also I just don't know what's going on in the pictures and when I'm nervous or stressed i panic and my mind goes blank. Does anyone have any advice?

Don't stress about the time and just try get as many correct as you can.

If you run out of time and need to guess the rest in the section, always pick one option and one option only. Statistically you've got more of a chance being right always picking A, than picking A, then D, then C, etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robert12345

Hey, does anyone know if you can repeat a subject another year if it's needed to get into a medicine course. I do ordinary Irish and 7 higher level subjects. If I get enough points in both HPAT and LC but I fail Irish can I just repeat Irish the next year to get into the medicine course.

I've seen all the medicine colleges repeat the same requirements needed 'In the same sitting of your Leaving Cert'. I don't know what to make of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Hey, does anyone know if you can repeat a subject another year if it's needed to get into a medicine course. I do ordinary Irish and 7 higher level subjects. If I get enough points in both HPAT and LC but I fail Irish can I just repeat Irish the next year to get into the medicine course.

I've seen all the medicine colleges repeat the same requirements needed 'In the same sitting of your Leaving Cert'. I don't know what to make of it!

you cant

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Edenhart

Hi I would also like to join a group for a discounted hpat course - thinking of the 3/11 one in Dublin, Griffith College thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Edenhart

Nwaezy wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone is hoping to do med entry this yr and would like someone to go in together as a group. could u pls let me know. :)
    Yes I am interested - can you pm me please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement