Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

woopah92 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's more nervous about the HPAT results than the actual LC exams? :/

And for the Irish P1 essay, will 3 and half pages be enough? Or do I need to write more?

Haven't even thought of the HPAT haha. As what's done is done, you can't change the results now but you can change your LC results! :P

We were told min of 2.5 pages so that should be fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Haven't even thought of the HPAT haha. As what's done is done, you can't change the results now but you can change your LC results! :P

We were told min of 2.5 pages so that should be fine! :)

It says 500-600 words, if on average you fit about 10 words per line and there's usually about 30 lines per A4 page that's 300 words per page so 2 should be plenty. Depends on the writing, I suppose, I have smallish writing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Lads and lassies, 23 more sleeps. Like, when the hell did THAT happen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

How long is too long for a short story for English paper 1? Is 8 pages way too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

How long is too long for a short story for English paper 1? Is 8 pages way too much?

Nah, I wrote eight pages in the mocks and got an A1. I don't know if there would be a maximum? Like obviously the examiners doesn't want to read anymore than they have to but if it's a good story, would they mind?

• Advertisement

Nah, I wrote eight pages in the mocks and got an A1. I don't know if there would be a maximum? Like obviously the examiners doesn't want to read anymore than they have to but if it's a good story, would they mind?

Yeah, you're right. :) Eight pages it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

So like, to be safe how much would you need in total for UCC and NUIG this year?

KristineKJ wrote: »
    So like, to be safe how much would you need in total for UCC and NUIG this year?

I would say 742.
    How many points do you have without the HPAT?

I would say 742.
    How many points do you have without the HPAT?

I'm not completely sure but I think 550. My Norwegian grades are on a scale from 1-6 so not sure if it was calculated correct when I heard with UCD.

You know your parents don't have any belief in you, when they ask 2 days before the exams where you want to repeat next year :L :L
    I hate the fact that it's probably true.

• Advertisement

You know your parents don't have any belief in you, when they ask 2 days before the exams where you want to repeat next year :L :L

Haha. That's the thing I ask myself! :P
    Look, even if we do, it's not so bad. Think of this time next year. How much more prepared would we be? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Ah its not that bad repeating :P Or maybe I'm being quite biased since the year is drawing to a close! Its better than putting up with a course you don't enjoy, thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Good luck to all the Leaving Certs tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jplc

Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant
    Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Hey it's probably bad timing to ask this question now to leaving cert students but to those who are not sitting the leaving could you possibly give me some advice?

Im sitting the hpat next year and would like to know anything I could practice on during the summer and until then?
    I have med***** and was practicing that throughout last year (only did a few drills and a few exams) but I saw no improvement whatsoever :(

So I find there's no point in wasting my time on it for the moment until I improve more.

So any tips? Any advice you would give to yourselves this time last year before sitting the hpat?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Ah its not that bad repeating :P Or maybe I'm being quite biased since the year is drawing to a close! Its better than putting up with a course you don't enjoy, thats for sure!

Wish someone had been there to say that to me before I spent 4 years of my life in some course that was barely making sense to me... Here's to the end of June!

How's everyone's LC coming along? Great craic it was...except English which screwed me over. :D

Why do you say UK is a no-go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Why do you say UK is a no-go?

Almost impossible to get an offer,generally the Leaving Cert is considered a lesser qualification than the A-Levels (cause we do 7 subjects in less detail while UK students do just 3 or 4 usually in just the sciences, if they want to do medicine in much, greater detail) some medical schools won't accept it on its own and requires a degree in science as well! On top of that you're generally expected to have a lot of hospital experience (which is almost impossible with the HSE while the NHS over there do their best to accommodate students) and you're expected to have done a lot of voluntary work in nursing homes and the like! On top of that who gets the medicine places is a bit political there, they prefer to give it to UK students if they can. The hoops they make you jump through makes it a lot harder to get in there than here!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Maybe in their own way they were trying to say "look, if it falls out that way, it's not the end of the world, we'll all cope?" :)

Maybe in their own way they were trying to say "look, if it falls out that way, it's not the end of the world, we'll all cope?" :)

Oh no, my parents are worse than Chinese parents when it comes to school stuff (pardon the racism).
    Everything else, they couldn't give a breeze. Allowed out when I was 16, but only A's are acceptable. I think they were trying to motivate me to beat my sister though, cause "she didn't have to repeat".
    Da b*tch set the standards too high. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Oh no, my parents are worse than Chinese parents when it comes to school stuff (pardon the racism).
    Everything else, they couldn't give a breeze. Allowed out when I was 16, but only A's are acceptable. I think they were trying to motivate me to beat my sister though, cause "she didn't have to repeat".
    Da b*tch set the standards too high. :pac:

My parents are the opposite: I'm the eldest. I have insane perfectionistic tendencies. I set the bar way too high for myself for reasons I do not know. My parents constantly tell me to aim lower which pisses me off so I only accept As.
    After these exams, however, I'm living in a lot of guilt because I don't think they went to plan...
    Here's living for chemistry to finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

meleanor wrote: »
    My parents are the opposite: I'm the eldest. I have insane perfectionistic tendencies. I set the bar way too high for myself for reasons I do not know. My parents constantly tell me to aim lower which pisses me off so I only accept As.
    After these exams, however, I'm living in a lot of guilt because I don't think they went to plan...

I know those feels :cool:

HPAT results are so close now.............. so excited!!

I know those feels :cool:

HPAT results are so close now.............. so excited!!

I think a lot of medicine hopefuls are perfectionists. We should all have a gathering, it would be so funny :pac:
    HPAT results are going to be...interesting.

A perfectionist describes me perfectly. :pac:
    I've kinda accepted that I'm gonna end up doing pharmacy, which I would be more than delighted with anyway :D

(hand raised joining the perfectionist-striving club)

It's so weird. I feel nervous for the hpat results. Even though they're already set and there's nothing I can do about it. Here's hoping they were not embarrassingly(is that a word?lol) bad. I honestly don't think I've made it but hopefully they're not horrible and I can do a repeat.
    God, I was born negative, excuse my self-destruct.

But better surprised than devastated, right?

A perfectionist describes me perfectly. :pac:
    I've kinda accepted that I'm gonna end up doing pharmacy, which I would be more than delighted with anyway :D

Doing a year of pharmacy and sneaking into medicine seems to be a viable pathway.

I'm seriously freakin' out by now (omg a week left)

Anyone know what the average score is? And the lowest last year?
    By now I feel like I could have done anything, both really bad and okay....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

Dear lord you are my twin!

Doing a year of pharmacy and sneaking into medicine seems to be a viable pathway.

Considered this too...
    Can you transfer and avoid them fees with Pharmacy. I know a Lot of pharmacists who really are against doing Pharmacy. the retail pharmacists can be bored and under used! :/ If I done Pharmacy, it would only be to get into medicine through GAMSAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Considered this too...
    Can you transfer and avoid them fees with Pharmacy. I know a Lot of pharmacists who really are against doing Pharmacy. the retail pharmacists can be bored and under used! :/ If I done Pharmacy, it would only be to get into medicine through GAMSAT

Surely though in the grand scale of things wouldn't you be better off repeating once at least, like if you go to a grind school that's maybe €6k but in comparison to doing Pharmacy (€3x4) and then having to take out a loan for GAMSAT, another measly in the grand scale of things isn't massive!

The results are getting so close now! I really need to start thinking of alternatives before change of mind closes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement