Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Surely though in the grand scale of things wouldn't you be better off repeating once at least, like if you go to a grind school that's maybe €6k but in comparison to doing Pharmacy (€3x4) and then having to take out a loan for GAMSAT, another measly in the grand scale of things isn't massive!

The results are getting so close now! I really need to start thinking of alternatives before change of mind closes!

I have thought of this. It's so confusing. HPAT is my problem really.
    Have you considered repeating?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I have thought about repeating, but I really don't want to. Our school has already told us that no repeats will be accepted because of the sheer size of the current 5th years (Over 150 in the year compared to around 90 in my year) so I'd have to move schools about 40 minutes away. :/
    I'm in two minds between pharmacy and physiotherapy. And radiography. And general science in UCD. Ugh, if I don't get medicine I'm gonna have some serious decisions to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

I have Biomed down after medicine...would pharmacy be better?

AislingBo wrote: »

It's really up to you. They're both good courses in their own right. I have biomed down too. I just haven't made up my mind fully about the order I'm gonna put them down yet. Ah well, I have til the 1st of July. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

They're both good really, in the traditional ideas there'd be more "prestige" because of the higher points in getting Pharmacy but at the end of the day they're both equally close to Medicine, do whatever you prefer because you'll be the one doing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Pretty sure I'm not gonna get in based on HPAT. Shame cos I feel I've done a good leaving so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

I've got my HPAT already cause I'm a mature student... did so bad! Got 182 in med-entry but substantially lower then that in the actual one. Trying to stay focused after that and still do the leaving is hard! :(

yoppo wrote: »
    I've got my HPAT already cause I'm a mature student... did so bad! Got 182 in med-entry but substantially lower then that in the actual one. Trying to stay focused after that and still do the leaving is hard! :(

sure ******** don't give ya a score?

sure ******** don't give ya a score?

Ya I got it... don't wanna say cause it's so bad!! I done the IMAT as well (entrance exam for med school in Italy), that went good but I think I'll be 8 points shy of getting in.

I'm 28 in Sept so not sure what I'll do! I'll either repeat the HPAT and IMAT or just apply to Hungary or Slovakia or somewhere. I got a degree but only got a 2:2 so grad med is out unfortunately... life sucks sometimes!! :o

Ya I got it... don't wanna say cause it's so bad!! I done the IMAT as well (entrance exam for med school in Italy), that went good but I think I'll be 8 points shy of getting in.

I'm 28 in Sept so not sure what I'll do! I'll either repeat the HPAT and IMAT or just apply to Hungary or Slovakia or somewhere. I got a degree but only got a 2:2 so grad med is out unfortunately... life sucks sometimes!! :o

27 is still young. :D 30 is the new 20.

I hear Slovenia/Slovakia isn't too hard to get into.......if you've got the money. :pac:
    What is your degree in? (if you don't mind me asking)

• Advertisement

woopah92 wrote: »
    27 is still young. :D 30 is the new 20.

I hear Slovenia/Slovakia isn't too hard to get into.......if you've got the money. :pac:
    What is your degree in? (if you don't mind me asking)

I have no money but the bank might :D

Chemistry.... so I'm fixed for it on Tuesday!! A1 in the bag.... hopefully! :pac:

I have no money but the bank might :D

Chemistry.... so I'm fixed for it on Tuesday!! A1 in the bag.... hopefully! :pac:

With a degree in chemistry, the LC exam must be like a walk in the park. :pac:

Do you even need to study for it? :cool:

woopah92 wrote: »
    With a degree in chemistry, the LC exam must be like a walk in the park. :pac:

Do you even need to study for it? :cool:

It's still hard in parts... the stuff you do in LC you wouldn't touch in uni at all. It's too basic... My field was organic so I love that with a passion! I wish they asked more mechanisms!

For me answering questions is don't assume the correctors know what you mean... explain everything! I plan to spend a day and a half looking over it. That should hopefully be enough. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

You can redo the LC after getting a degree? :eek: Wish I'd known, woulda repeated this year with 7 subjects instead of the 6 I originally had. Would've regained my lost 20 points :(

And hi5, II.2 degree and no chance of grad med and applying to Poland as backup. Woohoo. >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

As far as I know there are a few colleges in the UK that will accept a 2.2 along with a GAMSAT of 61-ish (don't quote me on that), so that might be an option to look into if you're looking outside of Ireland.

I'd imagine doing Pharmacy just as a means of getting Medicine would be really difficult. Pharmacy is a really tough course I've heard. If you didn't love doing it, you may end up failing and not getting Medicine at all. If you want to pursue the GEM route do a course you will enjoy. The problem with me is that I think I will only enjoy Medicine. Obviously I don't know, but I would be so disappointed doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Dear lord you are my twin!

http://youtu.be/xUdOohTT3hE

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Brilliant!:D

Haha thanks :D if you've a talent for chemistry, I hope we really are hand twins and mine writes the right stuff :pac:

meleanor wrote: »
    Haha thanks :D if you've a talent for chemistry, I hope we really are hand twins and mine writes the right stuff :pac:

hahahaha....likewise! my talent for chemistry is questionable :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Is pharmacy a restrictive entry? Can I still enter it in my cao as an option now?

Is pharmacy a restrictive entry? Can I still enter it in my cao as an option now?

it's not restricted as far as i know...im 99% sure you can put it down now.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

I'm bricking it for Monday week anyway...

Conballz wrote: »
    I'm bricking it for Monday week anyway...

same!!! i kinda wish we had them already.... actually how do we get the results? and what time? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

same!!! i kinda wish we had them already.... actually how do we get the results? and what time? :confused:

If its hpat results, they appear on your cao if you made one online :P

Ah cool thanks...anyone know what time? i hope it's early to get it over with...

Ah cool thanks...anyone know what time? i hope it's early to get it over with...

I THINK it's late sunday night/Monday morning. 2 am ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

I'm fairly sure you can get them from logging into your account on the acer website... If you log in now you can click results but it'll just tell you when they're out :L

I checked the times that the mature students posted their results and the earliest post of one of their results was at 7:01am the day they went online so it's early enough for me to be asleep when they go online anyway :P

Also they were commenting that their CAO reads a HPAT score of 0 so maybe that mightn't be the way :L

Typing with one hand is so much effort agh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

You'll be sent an email from ACER with a link to a page where you enter your details and then get your result, as a figure and as a percentile.

I think last year it was around 6am.

Edit: Just checked last years thread and they didn't get anything til 7.30am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KristineKJ

KristineKJ wrote: »
    I'm seriously freakin' out by now (omg a week left)

Anyone know what the average score is? And the lowest last year?
    By now I feel like I could have done anything, both really bad and okay....

lol...anyone know??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement