Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Personally I WILL Be happy with 30-40 in S3, I screwed it up and guessed a LOT on the day of the exam. :/
    Section 2 was a lot of... boiled down to 2 options, each seeming as valid as the other.
    But S1 was lovely in fairness...

Like the lady at TCD Open day said, theres roughly a 1 in 10 chance of you getting a place. Scary but what can you do.. Good luck to all! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

http://http://www2.cao.ie/otherinfo/calc_points.pdf

This is the first I'm hearing about the reduced points system for medicine. I don't EVER remember being told about this. Now I know I won't get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Yup, the max you CAN get is 565 Med points (if you get 625 in the LC)
    So you'd want to be looking at 180+ for the HPAT. Adjust the scores accordingly based on your expectations. But you never know, you might be surprised. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lcer212

so so so scared for monday!!:(did the lc last year, went into pharmacy, really want to leave and do medicine though!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

comeclosa wrote: »
    Yup, the max you CAN get is 565 Med points (if you get 625 in the LC)
    So you'd want to be looking at 180+ for the HPAT. Adjust the scores accordingly based on your expectations. But you never know, you might be surprised. :)

Ohh...Ah, I may as well look at shamanism at this stage then. Or that spa in Austria looking for a jester :p Thank you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

After Chemistry today, I've pretty much accepted that there is no way I'm going to get into Medicine this year...heartbroken but such is life. Someday...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

If you get a good hpat this year can you repeat the leaving cert next year and keep the hpat score?
    After chemistry today I wont be hitting the 540 mark by a long shot

Joey!! wrote: »
    If you get a good hpat this year can you repeat the leaving cert next year and keep the hpat score?
    After chemistry today I wont be hitting the 540 mark by a long shot

I don't have it in me to repeat to be honest...think I might take a year out and then do biomed or something :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mayo4sam12

What time were results out last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

mayo4sam12 wrote: »
    What time were results out last year?
    Around 6am I believe :P

• Advertisement

woopah92 wrote: »
    Around 6am I believe :P

Are you serious?? That's ridiculous.

Are you serious?? That's ridiculous.

I am serious and 6am isn't ridiculous.
    Just check them when you get up.

I am serious and 6am isn't ridiculous.
    Just check them when you get up.

I will still be out at 6am

I will still be out at 6am

On Sunday night?
    I wish I could be, oh the joys of having a job. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭amicus

Just one exam left and then the long wait for those hpat results . Heres to some sleepless nights I think .ahhh :P GOOD LUCK TO ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

So can you keep the hpat score and repeat the leaving?

Joey!! wrote: »
    So can you keep the hpat score and repeat the leaving?

yeah I think your hpat results last forever, and you can also repeat the HPAT and use your best result from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jplc

AislingBo wrote: »
    yeah I think your hpat results last forever, and you can also repeat the HPAT and use your best result from it :)

There was an article in the medical times a couple of months ago that said from 2014 HPAT results would only be valid for one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

jplc wrote: »
    There was an article in the medical times a couple of months ago that said from 2014 HPAT results would only be valid for one year.

An announcement was made on the HPAT website earlier on this year about possibly changing the currency of the results but nothing has been announced since then. Do you have a link to the article?

Here is what is currently on the HPAT website: "The HPAT – Ireland score is current for two years. Scores are scaled by ACER to make them directly comparable from year to year. If you have more than one valid score (i.e. you take HPAT – Ireland two years in a row) you may use whichever score you prefer.

Please note that the currency of results for candidates sitting HPAT – Ireland in 2013 is still under review and may change. Candidates will be notified of any amendment as soon as the information is made available to the HPAT – Ireland Office. This will not affect the results of HPAT – Ireland 2012 candidates"

An announcement was made on the HPAT website earlier on this year about possibly changing the currency of the results but nothing has been announced since then. Do you have a link to the article?

Here is what is currently on the HPAT website: "The HPAT – Ireland score is current for two years. Scores are scaled by ACER to make them directly comparable from year to year. If you have more than one valid score (i.e. you take HPAT – Ireland two years in a row) you may use whichever score you prefer.

Please note that the currency of results for candidates sitting HPAT – Ireland in 2013 is still under review and may change. Candidates will be notified of any amendment as soon as the information is made available to the HPAT – Ireland Office. This will not affect the results of HPAT – Ireland 2012 candidates"

ah ****

• Advertisement

Sorry i only had the hard copy, I'm sure you would get a hit on google in relation to any discussions between Acer and the medical council.
    certainly would be nice for some if they could carry there HPAT scores forward, its been a year for breaking trends on the LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

That's Medicine out the window this year! Funny, no matter how much you study, if you're not in the game on the day, you're gone!!!
    There's always next year sure!

That's Medicine out the window this year! Funny, no matter how much you study, if you're not in the game on the day, you're gone!!!

I'm completely with you there...so sad that all the work means nothing but sure that's life :'(

Me to, here's to UKCAT and BMAT in sept

Are you going to repeat? and do the UKCAT? I was considering this!

I'm completely with you there...so sad that all the work means nothing but sure that's life :'(

What will you do? repeat?

Don't do what I did and decide last minute to apply for the UK. I booked the UKCAT at the very last and I didn't even study for it :pac: Still managed at 750 is one of the categories though :P

Are you going to repeat? and do the UKCAT? I was considering this!

Yeah def, If the LC does ent work out, by the way its going i don't think so, have to repeat the HPAT any way. fun times

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

But then the exact same thing could happen you next year that on the day your just not in the right form and you'll just be back to where you started

• Advertisement

Don't do what I did and decide last minute to apply for the UK. I booked the UKCAT at the very last and I didn't even study for it :pac: Still managed at 750 is one of the categories though :P

UK is really difficult isn't it! My friend got no Interviews whatsoever! :O And he did really well in his UKCAT and his Predicted grades were really excellent!!!
    I was considering studying for it over the summer! I emailed a few UK unis and they are expecting reasonable repeat grades!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement