Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jplc

woopah92 wrote: »
    Don't do what I did and decide last minute to apply for the UK. I booked the UKCAT at the very last and I didn't even study for it :pac: Still managed at 750 is one of the categories though :P

how did you find it compared to the HPAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Glee_GG wrote: »
    But then the exact same thing could happen you next year that on the day your just not in the right form and you'll just be back to where you started

Indeed that's true! But what other option do I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Indeed that's true! But what other option do I have?

I'm in the same pickle myself! I genuinely just don't know what to do, the exams just haven't gone as well as I thought they would but I don't know if I can do this all again and put even more effort into it!

Glee_GG wrote: »
    I'm in the same pickle myself! I genuinely just don't know what to do, the exams just haven't gone as well as I thought they would but I don't know if I can do this all again and put even more effort into it!

Yeah I have the same feeling! Like when you do a test, you know how it went! And for me, Not good....
    Well My chem teacher put it this way: "4 years of something you don't want, or 30 short, productive weeks to get you what you want for the rest of your life"
    Also, She said the majority of the student body in Medicine have repeated something! Age does not matter in Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

jplc wrote: »
    how did you find it compared to the HPAT?

Around the same I'd say, maybe the UKCAT was a bit more difficult because of the maths section. And I hate sitting exams when you have to read it from the computer screen too. It's not too bad, but if you want to get top scores you should definitely study for it the same way you would for the HPAT. There's a book that's suppose to be good called "Get into Medical School: 600 UkCAT praticice questions" that should help with the studying. But I'd recommend studying over the summer for it for sure. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Yeah I have the same feeling! Like when you do a test, you know how it went! And for me, Not good....
    Well My chem teacher put it this way: "4 years of something you don't want, or 30 short, productive weeks to get you what you want for the rest of your life"
    Also, She said the majority of the student body in Medicine have repeated something! Age does not matter in Medicine.

True that, I've a cousin who went to the Czech Republic to do medicine after a business course. He qualified as an intern aged 30, but he prematurely had a full head of grey hair so he looked older :P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

What will you do? repeat?

I don't think I could stay mentally sane if I repeated...might take a year out and think things through, apply through the UK system (again!) or else do a biomed course in Maynooth...points aren't too high at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

It's funny isn't it, I don't think my grades will be low enough that I'll consider repeating (I expect to break 550 and that's my repeating cut-off point), but my exams certainly did not go off without a hitch and it wasn't due to lack of study, it was not being fully there on the day or doing something stupid like reading a question wrong or using the first answer that came into my head and bolting on.

I don't think I can go through the Leaving Cert again either, it was a tough year and the only thing that made it doable for me was having such good friends around me and being able to enjoy school with my year, the same would not be true for repeating.

For now I'm enjoying summer and doing a pretty good job of ignoring all of this, at least until Sunday! :)

Around the same I'd say, maybe the UKCAT was a bit more difficult because of the maths section. And I hate sitting exams when you have to read it from the computer screen too. It's not too bad, but if you want to get top scores you should definitely study for it the same way you would for the HPAT. There's a book that's suppose to be good called "Get into Medical School: 600 UkCAT praticice questions" that should help with the studying. But I'd recommend studying over the summer for it for sure. :pac:

Well? Did you get a place? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

The UKCAT is easier. I'd recommend going to the UK route if you're repeating. It's better to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'll be repeating in September for sure! I don't mind that much to be honest as I was planning on taking a year out but thinking of all the work I'll have to do again is just awful. I knew all along I'd be repeating as I don't work as hard as I should and could have but I was hoping if just have to repeat the Hpat. I had an offer for Queen's Belfast which needs 5 A1s and a B2 so I'm definitely not going to get that, as much as I'd love to! I have a bad feeling about results and I know I'm going to be so disappointed seeing as I studied a lot more than for the mocks, but maybe I'll be surprised like I was after the mocks. Hopefully!

0mega wrote: »
    The UKCAT is easier. I'd recommend going to the UK route if you're repeating. It's better to be honest.

The only thing is that very few will take repeats! I had a long process of emailing all the Medical schools to see who took repeats! Still awaiting a few replies!

Well? Did you get a place? :D

.............Not directly.
    I got offered Veterinary Medicine in Glasgow or somewhere? Some other college rang me up and asked if I would be interested in doing a health science for 2 years and then doing medicine for 5. And another college offered me biomedical science instead of medicine. Although I did get an interview of one college (Aberdeen I think) but I couldn't go over for the interview cause my Granddad died and it was their last batch of interviews.

Tip: You need as much experience as poosible so try and see if you can get work experience in a nursing home or something over the summer if you want to stand a better chance than I did!

I'll be repeating in September for sure! I don't mind that much to be honest as I was planning on taking a year out but thinking of all the work I'll have to do again is just awful. I knew all along I'd be repeating as I don't work as hard as I should and could have but I was hoping if just have to repeat the Hpat. I had an offer for Queen's Belfast which needs 5 A1s and a B2 so I'm definitely not going to get that, as much as I'd love to! I have a bad feeling about results and I know I'm going to be so disappointed seeing as I studied a lot more than for the mocks, but maybe I'll be surprised like I was after the mocks. Hopefully!

I had the Queens offer too...kissed it goodbye yesterday :(

Yeah they make the grades too hard for us down here. They should have it as a points thing rather than 5 A1s. What if you get 4A1s and 3A2s like! :mad:

.............Not directly.
    I got offered Veterinary Medicine in Glasgow or somewhere? Some other college rang me up and asked if I would be interested in doing a health science for 2 years and then doing medicine for 5. And another college offered me biomedical science instead of medicine. Although I did get an interview of one college (Aberdeen I think) but I couldn't go over for the interview cause my Granddad died and it was their last batch of interviews.

Tip: You need as much experience as poosible so try and see if you can get work experience in a nursing home or something over the summer if you want to stand a better chance than I did!

Ah well not so bad!!
    Why didn't you take that 2 years health science and then med? :D

Oh couldn't you just exaggerate the work experience?

Yeah they make the grades too hard for us down here. They should have it as a points thing rather than 5 A1s. What if you get 4A1s and 3A2s like! :mad:

Yeah by anyone else's standards that's an amazing Leaving Cert, so you can't even act disappointed :/

How did you get that offer?
    UKCAT?

How did you get that offer?
    UKCAT?

It's UKCAT, personal statement and multiple mini interviews for Queens.

AislingBo wrote: »
    It's UKCAT, personal statement and multiple mini interviews for Queens.

There was more work but it was still a fairer system than here.

• Advertisement

Ah well not so bad!!
    Why didn't you take that 2 years health science and then med? :D

Oh couldn't you just exaggerate the work experience?

The reason I applied to the UK was cause both my sisters were living over there! And then now one has moved to New Zealand and the other to Australia so I didn't really want to take it then :p It would have been a good option though. Sill hoping I get medicine here. :cool:

You could exaggerate work experience, but I wouldn't recommend it. One of the colleges sent me a form and I had to put down all of the work experience that I had put down in my personal statement with a telephone number for each. So out could be caught out that way.

There was more work but it was still a fairer system than here.

Definitely! It doesn't make sense that we don't have interviews for medicine, and yet we have the for engineering?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jplc

Cheers, looks like I'll be heading for hodges and figs after Ag. Science

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Y'know what I think is sickening? The huge difference in points between A1 and A2. I feel really borderline for quite a few of my subjects and there really is such a drop between 89% and 90%. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lcer212

Slow Show wrote: »
    Y'know what I think is sickening? The huge difference in points between A1 and A2. I feel really borderline for quite a few of my subjects and there really is such a drop between 89% and 90%. :(

I agree...last year i got 4A2,s that should have been A1,s...!!Such a difference to my points!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

What date are the results back, anyone? Thanks in advance.

simons545 wrote: »
    What date are the results back, anyone? Thanks in advance.

monday

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

I still have 3 exams left...! I'm so tired that after Friday, I'm mostly likely going to be sleeping till Monday morning :( Nightmares!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

pokkyoc wrote: »
    I still have 3 exams left...! I'm so tired that after Friday, I'm mostly likely going to be sleeping till Monday morning :( Nightmares!! :(

3! :eek: I can empathise with you, its literally depressing to have exams at this point, they've been dragging on far to long. I feel like I'm going insane!

• Advertisement

3! :eek: I can empathise with you, its literally depressing to have exams at this point, they've been dragging on far to long. I feel like I'm going insane!

Hopefully we can all empathise! Or else out HPAT will be crap!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement