Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0921/hpat-medicine.html

Hope this changes things for the better

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

Hi, does anyone know what qualifies as good UKCAT points for undergraduate medicine? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Hi, does anyone know what qualifies as good UKCAT points for undergraduate medicine? :)

I think 600+ is considered good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 spalpinfanach

seriously struggling with section one... hopefully it will all light up after i do the preparation course

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

seriously struggling with section one... hopefully it will all light up after i do the preparation course

same, section 1 is by far my worst.....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

Anybody know of any good HPAT preparation websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Section 3 is the worst. I would sooner do one hundred section ones than even one section 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

600 or aroud that is average. Each college uses the scores in different ways though, some don't place too much emphasis on the ukcat while others have a high cut off mark.

600 or aroud that is average. Each college uses the scores in different ways though, some don't place too much emphasis on the ukcat while others have a high cut off mark.

Does anyone know what it is for Queens? I wanted to ask that at Higher Options, but they had no stall. :(

0mega wrote: »

Does anyone know what it is for Queens? I wanted to ask that at Higher Options, but they had no stall. :(
    They give 4 points for every A up to 9 As for JC results and then add on points for the ukcat result. You can get a maximum of 6 marks for ukcat, it's marked from 0-6. I think it's on the Queen's website under something specific for medicine admissions. If I am on the laptop an I find it I'll post it here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

They give 4 points for every A up to 9 As for JC results and then add on points for the ukcat result. You can get a maximum of 6 marks for ukcat, it's marked from 0-6. I think it's on the Queen's website under something specific for medicine admissions. If I am on the laptop an I find it I'll post it here :)

Eeeek really? Seems incredibly generous to people who did better-than-average JCs, and people said the JC counts for nothing! :p Definitely gonna apply there next year if it's a case of my HPAT letting me down this year.

Just did a HPAT Section 2 Practice Exam there and ended up in the 100th percentile (which is apparently statistically impossible but hey), yet because of my merely adequate Section 1 skillz and woeful Section 3 skillz I probably still won't get enough in the HPAT this year. Being the very biased person I am, I can't help but feel Section 2 is the most applicable section to actually being a good doctor, or at least a nice empathetic one. I accept that my opinion is incredibly biased and is many, many miles away from fact. Just feel like venting a little bit about the difficulty of my life. :pac:

I've found what you were talking about, thanks!

Just to clarify, you can only get a maximum of 36 points for your JC points. So essentially, your JC results are worth 6 times what the UKCAT is.. which is a real weight off my shoulders as I've got them 36 points for the JC. I wonder how competitive it is though.. would you need a score of 40 to be in the top 500? I'm not sure I can get over 3 points in the UKCAT, I'd be lucky even to get that!

I wonder if there's any statistics in how many points people got an interview with last year..

I've actually done a good bit of research into it this afternoon while filling out my UCAS application and the interviews are nothing at all like I expected! I thought I'd be at one end of a table while someone else asked me questions.. but they take the format of 9 seperate stations with different scenarios that test your empathy, logic, problem solving, communication skills.. etc.

Take a look at this, I just find it bizarre really! http://www.med.qub.ac.uk/MedicineVideos/MMISequence1.wmv

Had a look over at thestudentroom.co.uk

Last year, some people got interviews with 38/42 points for QUB.

Hopefully there's not an increase this year, I think I could possibly get an interview if it stays at that mark..

Hopefully there's not an increase this year, I think I could possibly get an interview if it stays at that mark..
    Yeh I'm in the same boat as you points wise. Just really hope I can get the 3 or 4 points for the ukcat! Some universities have adopted the mini interview thing. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not for me. I have looked too much into it yet but as far as I know there could be someone upset after an exam. That could be ok but you can't really tell if it would be easier or not.

Yeh I'm in the same boat as you points wise. Just really hope I can get the 3 or 4 points for the ukcat! Some universities have adopted the mini interview thing. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not for me. I have looked too much into it yet but as far as I know there could be someone upset after an exam. That could be ok but you can't really tell if it would be easier or not.

Yeah, QUB have the MMI. Considering Interpersonal Reasoning is by far my strongest section on the HPAT, I hope that I'd be able to do well, if they mainly test personality, empathy, etc.

The interviews seem to take place mid-December aswell, so won't clash with HPAT or HPAT prep. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Anyone doing or have done hpat ulster ?

Just wondering is it worth my while doing it considering its produced by the ACER too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

^^^^^^^^^^^Love the Name

Have to say, I love the decision analysis section of the UKCAT. It seems so easy in comparison with the others.

Anyone started their personal statement yet? They have to be ready by the 15th of October and I haven't even started mine yet! I hope my complete lack of work experience doesn't go against me..

Have to say, I love the decision analysis section of the UKCAT. It seems so easy in comparison with the others.

Anyone started their personal statement yet? They have to be ready by the 15th of October and I haven't even started mine yet! I hope my complete lack of work experience doesn't go against me..
    Thank God I am not alone, haven't started yet either! A girl I know had her 9th draft done already but she is hoping to definitely go to the uk. She had been studying throughout 5th year for the ukcat too! :o
    Also, DA is my strongest too, I don't know if I can trust it to be as easy in the real thing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

All say they will but with free fees must be squeeze on places. Anyone got any friends currently studying in Scotland and where they are??

• Advertisement

Just wondering, how do the UK universities get your JC results?

Do they view your UCAS application or do they need to contact the school and verify them? I went up from a B to an A in a recheck, I'm hoping the school has noted that..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

I'm in sixth year, thinking of doing medicine and just wanted to know if anyone has done a hPAT course, and if you think it was worth it? It's around 550e so I'd like to get some feedback before spending!
    All input appreciated. :)

Just wondering, how do the UK universities get your JC results?

Do they view your UCAS application or do they need to contact the school and verify them? I went up from a B to an A in a recheck, I'm hoping the school has noted that..
    I thought we put them in ourselves in our application and they just put in predicted grades? If they put them in I hope they also know that I went up to an A!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

jtaylol wrote: »
    I'm in sixth year, thinking of doing medicine and just wanted to know if anyone has done a hPAT course, and if you think it was worth it? It's around 550e so I'd like to get some feedback before spending!
    All input appreciated. :)[/

Complete waste of money (speaking from experience)

I stand corrected!

'For 2012 entry the threshold to be shortlisted for interview was 37 points. Final decisions will be taken on the basis of the overall interview score.'

Taken from the Entry Profile into medicine at QUB.

I've also just rang up the UCAS helpline enquiring about how they get a hold of your Junior Certificate results. Apparently, they usually ring your school to confirm the results that you've put down on your application, but sometimes at the beginning of the course they also need to see a copy of your results, depending on the university/course. So, I'm going to have to contact my school to see if they have the updated results.. and if not, it looks like I'm writing to the Department of Education. :(

EDIT: I've just been on the SEC website and you can request for them to send you out a copy of your results for free and I rang up and they claim that they have the updated results on record, so that's that sorted. :)

Productive day for me, my personal statement is done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mayo4sam12

Does anybody know what the HPAT Prep course in the Institute on Leeson Street is like? How does it compare with other prep courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

Hey guys has anyone started practicing hpat Qs?? And if you have how long everyday would you reccommend spending on it??
    I am doing the lc this year aswell so I dont have much time and would love to know how many hours a week should i be spending on it

tahina wrote: »
    Hey guys has anyone started practicing hpat Qs?? And if you have how long everyday would you reccommend spending on it??
    I am doing the lc this year aswell so I dont have much time and would love to know how many hours a week should i be spending on it

I'd say do either drills/questions or a prep exam every weekend.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kool12

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hey,

Is anyone interested in doing the MEDEN**Y HPAT prep course? Am looking for someone who wants to join as part of a group in Dublin. Apparently if 2 or more apply for the course together you pay 385 Euro instead of 625 Euro. PM me if you're interested. For me, 625 Euro seems a lot of money to pay when you can get it for 385!

Thanks
    id be reallly interested in a group booking please pm me !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement