Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

193 89th peercentile omg omg omg bawling I cant believe it omfg YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Scores have gone up so much this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

I haven't got mine yet? A little worried.

Have you logged into the ACER website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I've only just received the email a few seconds ago, when I logged in some 20 minutes before that though I could see my results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

Hpat is a genuine joke 41st percentil last year BOOM 90th percentile this year literally anyone can improve their score! Many ppl will b unhappy today I was GUTTED last year but just bare this in mind for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

I'm still shaking :O

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AverageGirl

208 98th percentile! This may be the happiest I've ever felt this is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

How many points are we thinking the increase will be ?

How many points are we thinking the increase will be ?

This is the question that is seriously worrying me.

I know that the HPAT prep groups have been telling us that the points will level off sooner or later.. but is that gonna be the case this year with the significant increase in HPAT scores?

I'm just praying they don't increase by more than about 3. Perhaps that is wishful thinking. :(

• Advertisement

They couldn't increase them hugely though like there's not a huge amount of extra demand so there wouldn't be any reason for them to go up by more than 2 or 3 would there?

The points rise is scaring me too. If I get 550, I'm 6 points above what NUIG was last year. They'd hardly rise that much would they?

In a bizarre twist of events, my best result was in Section 3. Anyone here throughout the year knew how much I hated that section, I was happy just not to get in the 0-20 percentile in ME practice exams. Odd but definitely not complaining!

They couldn't increase them hugely though like there's not a huge amount of extra demand so there wouldn't be any reason for them to go up by more than 2 or 3 would there?

The numbers applying decreased a bit this year as far as I know so hopefully that will help matters a bit!

Slow Show wrote: »
    The points rise is scaring me too. If I get 550, I'm 6 points above what NUIG was last year. They'd hardly rise that much would they?

In a bizarre twist of events, my best result was in Section 3. Anyone here throughout the year knew how much I hated that section, I was happy just not to get in the 0-20 percentile in ME practice exams. Odd but definitely not complaining!

Me too, I'm stunned. I performed significantly lower than I expect in S1 too.. I felt so confident after it and it hasn't translated at all. :confused:

I think I'm looking at needing 600+ to get my first two choices.

Could the fact there was a decrease in the number of applicants cancel out the increase in HPAT scores?

That happened me too! I thought section one was my best but 3 was my highest by far!!

Thinking about it, the points had a similar jump from 2010 -> 2011 to 2011 -> 2012, but the latter of which had the extra 25 points taken into account - or 5 in medicine terms.

So, they increased by roughly 10 last year, taking away the 5 for maths that was an increase of 5.

So maybe that's what we're looking at?

Exact same I thought S1 was unreal on the day, got 59 in it, grand but not much to brag about really. Got 65 in S2, S2 was always my best but I expected the score to be like that really from what other people have said. I'd say even getting one more question right would've made a huuuge difference there. Then 70 in S3, still in shock over that. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

To anybody who didn't get what they wanted today, I guess first try and remember that it isn't the end of the world. If you don't have to repeat the LC, enjoy first year of another course or seriously consider working/travelling etc. Something I wish I had done last year. If you compare one year taken out/doing first year of another course to 3/4 + 4 years graduate entry (which is by far the most common and crippilingly expensive route in many parts of the world), that one year spent exploring other interests with some hpat study seems comparatively preferable. So if you haven't gotten what you wanted, it really isn't the end of the world. At all.

Also, I now truly believe that a systematic and long term (a six or so month plan consisting of 1 hour a day 4-6 day per week and occasional longer sessions that facilitate for full mock exams, which themselves increase in frequency closer to the test date), absolutely works for hpat prep. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend hundreds and hundreds of euros on prep (although, I guess I can't not recommend some course if possible). But make sure you get your hands on the ACER booklets, an afternoon google searching will provide you with enough sample umat and other psychometric testing material to last for months. Psychometric testing books can also be found in libraries. I believe it more than ever now, because 'apparently' S1 and S3 are the two sections you can make the greatest improvement in, and indeed this year after regular study (I'd consider it training, rather than studying) S1 and S3 were far stronger than my typically poor S2 result. And my overall score this year is 200+.

So in a nutshell, don't be too bummed, if you don't have to repeat the LC enjoy the year. Your study for the hpat next year needs to be consistent and long term. This is the least 'crammable' exam ever. I'm not the first to come across this either, there are a wealth of UMAT forums online where the idea has been discussed and agreed upon countless times, and it makes sense.

Congratulations to everybody else who got what they wanted today, it's well deserved.

Exact same I thought S1 was unreal on the day, got 59 in it, grand but not much to brag about really. Got 65 in S2, S2 was always my best but I expected the score to be like that really from what other people have said. I'd say even getting one more question right would've made a huuuge difference there. Then 70 in S3, still in shock over that. :p

Our scores are identical except you did 5 better in S2! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Haha, mine went rather terribly as expected! Gonna give it another shot next year and if that doesn't work I'll try grad entry. Great advice fewtins, thanks! Cheered me up slightly :) congrats to everyone on here who got what they wanted, it really is well deserved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 saddlehorse

175-68th it's so much worse to be between 5 and 10 points away from what I need... Always next year!

0mega wrote: »
    Our scores are identical except you did 5 better in S2! :D

Haha there was probably only one question between us. Go team!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helloEverbody

Does anybody know where to find the graph of results for 2013 ?

Does anybody know where to find the graph of results for 2013 ?

It hasn't been released yet but will show on the 'Results' section of the HPAT website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helloEverbody

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

Hmmm... I'm thinking ACER may have weighted certain questions in S1 VERY heavily to reduce high scores... Lots of people seem to have said they did much worse in it than expected.... I'm in the same boat, expected 80-90 and got 72! But I expected about 30 in S3 and got 65! 192 overall 88th percentile I'm delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 star shine

have anyones results been updated on the cao website yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

195 - 91th percentile . . just sitting here shaking and crying!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

183, 79th percentile! What are my chances? I'm hoping to get 600+ in the LC! :(

• Advertisement

pokkyoc wrote: »
    183, 79th percentile! What are my chances? I'm hoping to get 600+ in the LC! :(

You can possibly still get Galway, Cork and RCSI.

If you get 600 you'll have 743 points. Galway last year was 739. Of course, if you get above 600 you'll probs be sure of it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement