Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

So upset here....Like I don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pokkyoc

0mega wrote: »
    You can possibly still get Galway, Cork and RCSI.

If you get 600 you'll have 743 points. Galway last year was 739. Of course, if you get above 600 you'll probs be sure of it. :)

Cork is my first choice! I'm not overly happy but I think I can keep myself relatively sane :) I still have a chance! Whew...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Hold me

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Can anyone explain how second round CAO offers work for medicine?

Like if TCD display the points as 746.. is that the first round score and some people got in with lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

I was in this exact position last year and I know how upsetting a poor hpat score is, this will probably make u feel down for a while but try to see this as something that can help you. You now have an experience of the hpat you can learn from. Repeat candidate s stasticaly do better in the exam because they know how it works. If youre serious about this and you practice you WILL improve your score! Right now the result might seem devastating but you can improve by so much in a year by just persistence and determination. Do not let this get you down, I am just one of the many example s that prove that this exam just takes practice to succeed. Please try again next year and you can be shocked about what you can be capable of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You can possibly still get Galway, Cork and RCSI.

If you get 600 you'll have 743 points. Galway last year was 739. Of course, if you get above 600 you'll probs be sure of it. :)

736 on random selection actually, things are looking better already! :)

Well I'm relieved now! It's not looking all that bad any more! :D Thanks guys! And best of luck to those who haven't opened their results yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Bye bye dream of UCD medicine. 182. Maybe somewhere might accept me.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Y'all better study your backsides off and learn how to look after me in my old age when I'm old and decrepit, I'm outta this game. As I had expected. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helloEverbody

so any point predictions for next year?

• Advertisement

I'm guessing:

TCD 748-750 (at most)
    UCD 745-747
    RCSI 742-744
    UCC 740-742
    NUIG 739-741

pokkyoc wrote: »
    I'm guessing:

TCD 748-750 (at most)
    UCD 745-747
    RCSI 742-744
    UCC 740-742
    NUIG 739-741

I seriously hope you're right.

I seriously hope you're right.

I hope so too! 742 for UCC isn't much of a prediction though! Since I got 183, with 600 pts in the LC I'll have 743. Just about making the cut! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helloEverbody

TCD maybe above 760? Hpat scores are higher this year............

They couldn't go that high surely? :eek:

There is less applicants this year too.. I think the highest Trinity could go is about 752.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yoyoz

guys if your disappointed i know how you feel. i was in the same position last year with 168 and a bitter knowledge of the fact that i wasnt going to study med the next year even before i sat the leaving.
    i decided to spend the year studying biomed and hpat for the year - i used the the vital 3 weeks i had off college at the start of jan to study 9 - 5 every day and kickstart my hpat study and then did about 3 hours 5 days a week in college until the end of feb.
    it was a tough 2 months where some sacrifices were made in terms of going out etc etc but in the overall scheme of things its really only a very short amount of time and something that the post hpat celebrations well made up for!
    being in biomed about 75% of the people were in the same boat as me which was a big help because we could support each other throughout the time and basically complain about what seemed to be the biggest bane of our lives at the time!
    unfortunately or fortunatley, whichever way you want to look at it, it seems like in most cases that its hard work that improves your hpat score and today with a 195 i can certainly say it did for me. there are most definately exceptions and people who do very little for hpat and still manage to do well but they do, from hearing from a lot of people over the past 2 years, seem to be in the minority.
    i have made an amazing group of people in biomed, friends which i hope to keep for life. i'll most likely skip pre med next year so have no lost time and i'll already know a good few of my year seeing as i shared lectures with them regularly throughout the year.
    i just want to recommend this route to anyone who thinks this kind of approach would suit them and hopefully anyone who was in the same position as i was last year will realise that this isn't the end and that so many positive things can come from the alternative entry to med. Support from friends and family was key for me and that combined with passion and hard work helped me achieve my goal in the hpat and it will for others too.

760+? But the difference in points between the highest (TCD) and the lowest (NUIG) should never be greater than 15 pts. HPAT scores have increased by maybe 3-5 points on average this year! Plus I doubt many people will be getting 625 points or 200+ in the HPAT. The curve is skewed but I'm sure the percentiles will stabilise after 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

Look at it this way; Last year with the higher level maths points Galway went from 728 to 736. 5 of these 8 can be attributred to the extra 25 from higher maths so that means that medicine jumped 3 points independent of the maths score increase. And what with the demand for medicine down by 6% it is very likely that Galway will be at 739 like somebody above said.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

So scores over 550 are reduced by 1 point for each 5 points over 550, is that right?

Goin90 wrote: »
    Look at it this way; Last year with the higher level maths points Galway went from 728 to 736. 5 of these 8 can be attributred to the extra 25 from higher maths so that means that medicine jumped 3 points independent of the maths score increase. And what with the demand for medicine down by 6% it is very likely that Galway will be at 739 like somebody above said.

Exactly! The points shouldn't go up by too much this year! I do however think that the extra 25 points had a bigger impact than that! There were a number of people who got in with 545 or 540 and even with just 530 in the LC last year. So for those people the extra 25 points really were worth more than just 5 points since scores aren't reduced until your LC surpasses 550! With the extra 25 points being awarded, there were way more people who got in with less than 550 points. Plus I think the HPAT scores between 2011 & 2012 were quite similar! Correct me if I'm wrong :(

• Advertisement

Also, could someone tell me how the change of mind thing works? It's been a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Well, that's me gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barcelonafan95

Don't know how to feel about my result. 184, 80th percentile, any chance of me still getting med?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Don't know how to feel about my result. 184, 80th percentile, any chance of me still getting med?

Depending on your LC results, RCSI, NUIG, UCC are all still definitely on the cards, congrats :D

How confident are you about your LC? Say if you even got 558 points you'd still score 742. Which is about 3 of the 5 unis in Ireland. Keep your head up! Hope for the best :) I'd kill to have that score, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

556 from LC 2012 + 194 from HPAT 2013 -- overall 750 , am I safe for UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'm afraid to open the link..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 runner123

Anyone get 189? keeping mine from last year and looking for the percentile? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

556 from LC 2012 + 194 from HPAT 2013 -- overall 750 , am I safe for UCC?

Impossible to say for sure but I'd say almost definitely, very difficult to imagine it jumping 12 points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

runner123 wrote: »
    Anyone get 189? keeping mine from last year and looking for the percentile? Thanks

I got 194 and that was 90th percentile so 189 is the 85th percentile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement