Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

AislingFH wrote: »
    Woohoo! 202/95th percentile. :D For anyone who is feeling a bit sad, don't be disheartened. I'm a repeat student and my percentile literally went up by about 60 so anything is possible! In my opinion, do the courses and practice practice practice.
    Aaaahhhh so excited!
    did it really go up by 60? if so their is hope in repeating funny enough i got what you got the last time then 142! cant complain now i guess might give it one last go and then thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Slow Show wrote: »
    Don't bother send an e-mail, it's correct, they round up your section scores but if you added up your scores with all the decimal points and such you'd get your overall score. I'm off by a point too but I'm positive it's grand.

Ahh sure too late now I already sent one off, I'm just worried now the HPAT gods will be very annoyed and take more points away from me :L

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

AislingBo wrote: »
    Oh I did mine in November so I had a few months to prepare...you'll get there eventually, don't give up!!

Yeah. Maybe Med is just not for me :/ This is my 2nd time at the HPAT. Tbf first time was in 2009 with a crap Inst'tute prep course :P Third time trying overall though. This was gonna be my last shot at Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AislingFH

ahmdoda wrote: »
    did it really go up by 60? if so their is hope in repeating funny enough i got what you got the last time then 142! cant complain now i guess might give it one last go and then thats it.

Yep! I did feck all for it last year and then was devastated. But, I decided to repeat while I was in college and luckily I went way up! The m3dentry guy said most people only go up by about 30 but I've seen a few people on this who went up by a lot more. Definitely repeat the HPAT but really work for it. I'm in such shock I keep having to check my results in case I read them incorrectly. :D
    Sorry that you missed out though, it's such a **** feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 95Alexandra

Hey guys, I've gotten 184 , I'm pretty confident to get 600+ in the leaving cert, do you think I have a chance of getting into UCC??

• Advertisement

Yep! I did feck all for it last year and then was devastated. But, I decided to repeat while I was in college and luckily I went way up! The m3dentry guy said most people only go up by about 30 but I've seen a few people on this who went up by a lot more. Definitely repeat the HPAT but really work for it. I'm in such shock I keep having to check my results in case I read them incorrectly. :D
    Sorry that you missed out though, it's such a **** feeling!
    Thanks your words are comforting! one last go it will be then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 foxmeister

This was my second time sitting the hpat. i took the entire year out for it and it turns out i did worse than i did last year. so i suppose i'll just take my backup and join the circus. the funny thing is, i got 625 in my leaving cert, took four months to prepare this ****ing exam twice and now look at where i am. so what can we conclude from this rather common anecdote? well, i suppose that this system does not reward effort. i doesn't give a **** how much work you put into something and continually subsidises elitism and inequality. to this, our only reposte is to form part of yet another cohort of hpat sitters, forever segregated by by the slim line of the cut-off, which is what will continue fuel our egos and dissappointments until we find something more important to do. good luck to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 6 95Alexandra

foxmeister wrote: »
    This was my second time sitting the hpat. i took the entire year out for it and it turns out i did worse than i did last year. so i suppose i'll just take my backup and join the circus. the funny thing is, i got 625 in my leaving cert, took four months to prepare this ****ing exam twice and now look at where i am. so what can we conclude from this rather common anecdote? well, i suppose that this system does not reward effort. i doesn't give a **** how much work you put into something and continually subsidises elitism and inequality. to this, our only reposte is to form part of yet another cohort of hpat sitters, forever segregated by by the slim line of the cut-off, which is what will continue fuel our egos and dissappointments until we find something more important to do. good luck to you all

I totally agree!! Interviews are the only way forward, and maybe a leaving cert. pre med subject? Anyway I wish you the best of luck, with points
    Like those youre bound to eventually get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helloEverbody

I still want a graph :P

and maybe more point predictions >.<

but especially a graph

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

An aptitude test that can be studied for and rewards studying isn't a very good aptitude test.

Not that I think the HPAT is a good idea but that's just how aptitude tests work.

• Advertisement

man! really i think those who get 600 or more should have a chance of getting in with or without the hpat as medicine is mostly academic effort and if you cant handle couple of leaving cert subjects i dont think you can handle medicine getting 600 shows that your fully committed and handling something will medicine will be a good challenge

A word of advice to anyone who wants to repeat the HPAT.

Don't waste a whole year just to repeat that stupid exam, start your next preferred college course (Or best foundation for grad med if you're *that* in love with Medicine) and try it again. Wasting a whole year only to fall below the mark again isn't wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AislingFH

By how much are the points expected to rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nogivingup

Last year, 183 was 85th percentile, this year 183 is 79th percentile.
    Two years ago, 191 was 92nd percentile, this year 195 is 92st percentile.
    While results at the 200+ end of the scale seem to have similar percentiles as other years, there seem to be a LOT in the 180-200 bracket, so it could end up coming down to LC results more than it did in other years!
    Probably won't jump more than 3-4 points though!

No one knows until the LC results are out. For this year at least, there's nothing that "special" going on with the results for predictions this early (Last year, there were the maths bonus points).

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just speculating on absolutely nothing (Or past trends which aren't always reliable). That said, a rise is far more likely than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nogivingup

No one knows until the LC results are out. For this year at least, there's nothing that "special" going on with the results for predictions this early (Last year, there were the maths bonus points).

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just speculating on absolutely nothing (Or past trends which aren't always reliable). That said, a rise is far more likely than anything else.

Aren't you in Pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zeldagamelover

hi sorry to kind of divert the topic but is anyone applying to prague ( charles university) this year for med or dentistry? :)

nogivingup wrote: »
    Aren't you in Pharmacy?
    Yeah I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Lads I just I was just looking at it in my breakdown it was S1: 65 S2: 54 S3: 68 and that all adds up to 187 but they gave me 186, should I say something or is it the same for everyone?

This has happened before and it ended up that they took the breakdown off the CAO form altogether because of the confusion. What's most likely happened is that (for example) you got 64.5, 53.5 and 68, which gives 186, but when rounding them up or down for the CAO form you get slightly different results. No harm to get peace of mind though by emailing them! :)

Well done to everyone who's happy and to those who aren't, look at the repeaters who have done so well this year. Hopefully it all works out in the end for everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nycp2b

hey guys i got 188 in my hpat and am hoping for 565 in my lc that would give me a score of 741 please let me know if you guys think this is good enough honest opinions would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 SupDoc

762 for TCD maybe.........? O.O

nycp2b wrote: »
    hey guys i got 188 in my hpat and am hoping for 565 in my lc that would give me a score of 741 please let me know if you guys think this is good enough honest opinions would be much appreciated
    If you actually get 565 then you've a good chance of getting Galway at least. RCSI is also a very real possibility (although maybe in one of the later rounds)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

SDCards wrote: »
    Yeah. Maybe Med is just not for me :/ This is my 2nd time at the HPAT. Tbf first time was in 2009 with a crap Inst'tute prep course :P Third time trying overall though. This was gonna be my last shot at Ireland.

You could always do it as a post grad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nycp2b

thanks thats a great vote of confidence best of luck to everyone else swell

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

AislingBo wrote: »
    You could always do it as a post grad :)

As in grad entry? Nope. Screwed that up too. Got just under a 2:1 so yep. Eastern Europe it is, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zeldagamelover

SDCards wrote: »
    As in grad entry? Nope. Screwed that up too. Got just under a 2:1 so yep. Eastern Europe it is, I guess.

are you applying for prague? have that exam coming up on friday.. ahhhhh so nervous .. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bittersweet Disaster

I got 88th percentile and 192, but people are saying they got higher percentiles with a lower Overall mark? How does that work? should I get mine rechecked so? :S

Your percentile doesn't mean anything to the CAO. It's your mark that matters. Check the graph once it's out, more than likely the others you heard have it wrong or they're inflating their percentile to make it look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I got 88th percentile and 192, but people are saying they got higher percentiles with a lower Overall mark? How does that work? should I get mine rechecked so? :S

That shouldn't be right, which posts are you talking about? Some people are comparing their percentiles with what it was last year, so maybe that's it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Bittersweet Disaster

That shouldn't be right, which posts are you talking about? Some people are comparing their percentiles with what it was last year, so maybe that's it?

You must be right :P I'm just still frazzled from the stress of clicking that link! Looks like it's fingers crossed til August :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement