Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I got 185 and 81percentile, last year PC result is 570, I think I will get 600, do think ill get in to galway.

It is so tightly packed around the ~180 mark. I got 188 and that was 85th percentile.

A 3 point difference is a 4 percentile difference! I wonder what this will mean for the points.. assuming most people won't get 625 maybe the points won't actually jump by too much.. or am I clutching at straws.

With 185 and 600 you can definitely get into Galway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conradmurph

you planning on going to ucc? I got a place as a mature student (well at 25 im hoping not that old...) sure might come across each other at some stage!

Ya! well I'll either be in second year biochem or first year med! hopefully the latter :P surely see you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 star shine

do you think i have a chance for trinity with 754 points?

star shine wrote: »
    do you think i have a chance for trinity with 754 points?

Yeah for sure. Well done on a great score.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

Woah fair play everyone! :)
    195, 91st percentile and absolutely raging that 9% of ye bettered me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

My friend got 213 points. Absolute cracker of a result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

While my result is disappointing, I am now more determined than ever!
    This is my dream and I wont let anybody take it from me. I will be a Doctor one day and It will be sweet!
    Although It is sad looking at all your wonderful results, I would like to wish you the sincerest congratulations. We have all worked so hard and you should be so proud of yourselves. For those of you, who like me, were not so happy, there is next year, the year after and all of our lives! Keep working and with determination we can make the greatest Doctors! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dawg1234

^^ agreed:D got results today, 190, assuming 590 in the leaving what do you think my chances of ucd or trinity are ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Funny to think that last year i was worrying about the Hpat, but today i was in theater watching surgeries.

dawg1234 wrote: »
    ^^ agreed:D got results today, 190, assuming 590 in the leaving what do you think my chances of ucd or trinity are ? :)

190 + 558 = 748.

You're in roughly the same boat as me! Just depends on the points jump and if it will be drastic or not. Here's hoping for us it won't be. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

does anyone know if you can pick between using 2012 or 2013 Lc's? reaally need to know this, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

Do you do electives during the summer of first year?
    spasmaster wrote: »
    Funny to think that last year i was worrying about the Hpat, but today i was in theater watching surgeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Do you do electives during the summer of first year?

Nope, I just asked Crumlin for medical work experience for the summer. Most people are on J1s

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

does anyone know if you can pick between using 2012 or 2013 Lc's? reaally need to know this, cheers

Do yo u mean if you repeat and you want to use 2012 results? surely if you had the right results in 2012 you wouldn't be repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Do yo u mean if you repeat and you want to use 2012 results? surely if you had the right results in 2012 you wouldn't be repeating.

Yeah but it's depending on a combination of the HPAT and Leaving this years HPAT might be better than last but last years Leaving being better.

AFAIK yeah you can use your best combination as in this years HPAT and last years LC, I know though that if last years HPAT was better than this year you must manually send a copy in to the CAO. Really you're better off asking the CAO about this to get a definitive answer, rather than us, just send them an email or whatever!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the currency of results means that the HPAT only lasts for 2 years (and could change to 1 in the future) so you can use say HPAT 2010 results and LC 2013!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

thanks for the replies guys, yeah its hard to nail it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 YoungJustice

foxmeister wrote: »
    This was my second time sitting the hpat. i took the entire year out for it and it turns out i did worse than i did last year. so i suppose i'll just take my backup and join the circus. the funny thing is, i got 625 in my leaving cert, took four months to prepare this ****ing exam twice and now look at where i am. so what can we conclude from this rather common anecdote? well, i suppose that this system does not reward effort. i doesn't give a **** how much work you put into something and continually subsidises elitism and inequality. to this, our only reposte is to form part of yet another cohort of hpat sitters, forever segregated by by the slim line of the cut-off, which is what will continue fuel our egos and dissappointments until we find something more important to do. good luck to you all

I know how you feel. But sh*t don't give up! Don't you dare, otherwise you'll go through your whole life being pissed off over a test. There's nothing worse than a regret in life, thinking about what could have been or "Aw I really should have given that another go..."

I shouldn't have to quote Winston Churchill for you to know that you should never, never, never give up.

Third time lucky for me, the Hpat thinks I've given up, the Hpat has no idea who it's dealing with. Practice, practice, practice. See everyone on the flipside.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Think I'll get into Galway this year with 745 ?? It couldn't possibly increase by 9 points could it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

Think I'll get into Galway this year with 745 ?? It couldn't possibly increase by 9 points could it ?

For sure ! Could get TCD or UCD with that if they went down by one or two...which isn't impossible given the demand for med is down 6% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    First and foremost, congratulations on all of your fantastic results!
    I'm a 2014 hopeful, and I'm just wondering if any of you can gift me with some words of advice, and of wisdom with regards to HPAT preparation, and indeed the big LC!
    How should I balance to the two next year? Should I put more work into my HPAT or spend more time studying for my leaving cert?
    I really hope you were all happy with your results this year, and deepest condolences to those who were unsatisfied!

Do a m e d e n t r y course in November, then spend maybe 2 hours a week on HPAT but still lots more on lc. After Christmas at least one HPAT practise exam in full per week and the week of the exam do as much HPAT as possible....but DO NOT neglect the lc...no matter how intelligent you are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 fiddfoot

I don't usually post on this and set an account up especially to write this message. This time last year I remember coming on this after feeling disappointed with my hpat results looking to see how others got on and if there was any way possible I could get in. I got the 50th percentile last year with a score of 157 and did my best to forget about it and study hard for the leaving and take it from there (results came out in April). Anyway, I got 605 in the leaving but due to my poor hpat did not get into med and was unsure what to do. I decided to take a year out and repeat the hpat. For anyone that ends up the same situation as me, don't go to college and do a course that you don't really have your heart set on just for the sake of it. If you really think medicine is for you repeat the hpat/leaving cert/both as if you don't you will always wonder what could have been. It is only a year and flies by and also if you only have to repeat one of the leaving cert/hpat you have more time to concentrate on just the one exam. I got a full time job and started studying/practising for the hpat in November. In my opinion, the people that say that you can't study/practise for the hpat are talking rubbish. I was complacent and did very little practice last year and got 157. This year after attending a med entry course (which I would highly recommend especially for the vast amount of excellent practice exams and practice material) and practising steadily all along I got a score of 202, and came in the 95th percentile. At the start of the year it was tough knowing that your friends are gone to college but it is only a year which is tiny in the greater scheme of things. For those of you in despair at the moment thinking it is the end of the world it most certainly is not. I would also advise repeating instead of going the much more difficult and expensive Science route. Due to my post-repeating score, I should now hopefully secure a scholarship in NUIG to the value of 2000. Also, after working for the year, I will have the guts of 9 grand saved which should be a big help in college. Some of my friends did premed last year and due to my scores I should be able to skip it, so even though I did worse than them last year I should have a scholarship, be 9 grand richer and still be in the same class! I am not writing this post to brag or appear cocky, but rather to show the people that are down in the dumps after a bad hpat that things can really turn around so quickly and that it is important to stay positive. Repeat if you think you really want medicine, a year is really short period in the whole context of your life but it could have a massive impact if you stay positive and convince yourself that you are doing the right thing. If you fail the second time I would repeat again if you REALLY want it, as no matter what, a silly exam should not affect a life decision like this. Those of you that are depressed with your results it is not the end of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maryann2013

I don't know how to feel now, I got 159 - (obviously not high enough) and was in the 41st percentile. I didn't expect to get a high score anyway as I didn't do any preparation courses ( I couldn't afford them) and this was my first time, but all the other people in my year wanting to do medicine did preparation courses eg. M E D e n t r y etc. I did a couple of sample papers my friend gave me and the samples from acer all untimed I think. I was planning on repeating outside of school this year myself (as I know I didn't do well enough in the lc) and doing the preparation course to prepare myself properly for the h-pat, but my friend repeated the h-pat this year after doing the preparation courses and she got 170 and she also informed me today that another girl in our year who is much more academic than me ( didn't do ty) and was up at 6 most mornings approaching the hpat practising questions actually got less than me and spent over €600 on preparation courses, I was so shocked. Now I'm not sure even if I did do the preparation and over a longer period, because I only started would I increase my score enough, and unlike so many others that want to do med i'm not rich and cant just afford to throw away over €500 on preparation courses if they dont work, what are other people's opinions?..... please help

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mdoitk33

Yeah, i only got a hpat score of 136 and im starting medicine in september in ucc through the mature entry route so its definitely another option (i only got a 2.2 degree as well).

after receiving a disappointing hPat the graduate entry sounds like an option now. Would you be able to explain the fees attached and how you got into medicine?

Sounds very interesting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

AislingBo wrote: »
    For sure ! Could get TCD or UCD with that if they went down by one or two...which isn't impossible given the demand for med is down 6% :)

Hate to sound like a nerd but I wonder is there anyway that we could calculate the percentage increase of the scores from 2012 to 2013 and take the two away. It would give us a great indication as to where we are if you know what I mean :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

fiddfoot wrote: »
    I don't usually post on this and set an account up especially to write this message. This time last year I remember coming on this after feeling disappointed with my hpat results looking to see how others got on and if there was any way possible I could get in. I got the 50th percentile last year with a score of 157 and did my best to forget about it and study hard for the leaving and take it from there (results came out in April). Anyway, I got 605 in the leaving but due to my poor hpat did not get into med and was unsure what to do. I decided to take a year out and repeat the hpat. For anyone that ends up the same situation as me, don't go to college and do a course that you don't really have your heart set on just for the sake of it. If you really think medicine is for you repeat the hpat/leaving cert/both as if you don't you will always wonder what could have been. It is only a year and flies by and also if you only have to repeat one of the leaving cert/hpat you have more time to concentrate on just the one exam. I got a full time job and started studying/practising for the hpat in November. In my opinion, the people that say that you can't study/practise for the hpat are talking rubbish. I was complacent and did very little practice last year and got 157. This year after attending a med entry course (which I would highly recommend especially for the vast amount of excellent practice exams and practice material) and practising steadily all along I got a score of 202, and came in the 95th percentile. At the start of the year it was tough knowing that your friends are gone to college but it is only a year which is tiny in the greater scheme of things. For those of you in despair at the moment thinking it is the end of the world it most certainly is not. I would also advise repeating instead of going the much more difficult and expensive Science route. Due to my post-repeating score, I should now hopefully secure a scholarship in NUIG to the value of 2000. Also, after working for the year, I will have the guts of 9 grand saved which should be a big help in college. Some of my friends did premed last year and due to my scores I should be able to skip it, so even though I did worse than them last year I should have a scholarship, be 9 grand richer and still be in the same class! I am not writing this post to brag or appear cocky, but rather to show the people that are down in the dumps after a bad hpat that things can really turn around so quickly and that it is important to stay positive. Repeat if you think you really want medicine, a year is really short period in the whole context of your life but it could have a massive impact if you stay positive and convince yourself that you are doing the right thing. If you fail the second time I would repeat again if you REALLY want it, as no matter what, a silly exam should not affect a life decision like this. Those of you that are depressed with your results it is not the end of the world!
    man you covered it all your comment should be copied and pasted in every future hpat result thanks for giving us less fortunate students some hope!

I don't know how to feel now, I got 159 - (obviously not high enough) and was in the 41st percentile. I didn't expect to get a high score anyway as I didn't do any preparation courses ( I couldn't afford them) and this was my first time, but all the other people in my year wanting to do medicine did preparation courses eg. M E D e n t r y etc. I did a couple of sample papers my friend gave me and the samples from acer all untimed I think. I was planning on repeating outside of school this year myself (as I know I didn't do well enough in the lc) and doing the preparation course to prepare myself properly for the h-pat, but my friend repeated the h-pat this year after doing the preparation courses and she got 170 and she also informed me today that another girl in our year who is much more academic than me ( didn't do ty) and was up at 6 most mornings approaching the hpat practising questions actually got less than me and spent over €600 on preparation courses, I was so shocked. Now I'm not sure even if I did do the preparation and over a longer period, because I only started would I increase my score enough, and unlike so many others that want to do med i'm not rich and cant just afford to throw away over €500 on preparation courses if they dont work, what are other people's opinions?..... please help
    I would repeat and save up to do an extremely helpful med entry course, if you get into medicine you will pay back the 500 no problem in no time. Read my post above you might find it helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mdoitk33

Congratulations!!! I can only imagine how you are feeling!

I did S**t but any how just wondering if you accepted a college course and then repeated the hPat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maryann2013

what was the highest this year?

Mdoitk33 wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! I can only imagine how you are feeling!

I did S**t but any how just wondering if you accepted a college course and then repeated the hPat?
    Ah unlucky, know how you are feeling! No I took a year out, I thought it would be a pointless waste of fees if I didnt want to continue that course, and also I wouldn't have been sufficiently motivated to study that course for the year if I thought I would be going doing med the year after. The year out gave more study time for the hpat, and I also got a 39 hour a week job so I have will have 9 grand saved by September! I think its very hard to study something in first year if you know you would be doing something else the year after. Personally, I would just start a course with the view of finishing it. If you dont get med after a year or two by all means start a different course, but at least go in with a clear head and you will never kick yourself in the future for not giving medicine a real go. Others might have a different mindset but that's my opinion anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

I wouldn't call it 'graduate entry', I just happened to have a degree already before i applied. You apply through the cao and send in a personal statement (showing your motivation, and steps that you have taken to show that this is the career for you), cv, hpat result and degree transcripts (if you have a degree). There were people shortlisted for interview this year that didnt have a degree and just had there leaving cert. If you dont get medicine and are thinking of another degree think about biomedical science, i did it in ucc and i loved it and its so relevant to medicine (im not on commission here now or anything from the college lol).

Fees - the frees fees applies if you dont have a degree, other wise its ~€8000/year give or take a few hundred. Abit expensive but where there's a will there's a way i always say!! (and by that i dont mean rob a bank, lol).

Good Luck!
    Mdoitk33 wrote: »
    after receiving a disappointing hPat the graduate entry sounds like an option now. Would you be able to explain the fees attached and how you got into medicine?

Sounds very interesting. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement