Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a Solicitor

• 03-05-2012 10:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

Hi Guys,

I was really thinking about becoming a Solicitor but am struggling to find out information about it exactly on the web.

This looks like the general layout but could someone please elaborate greatly:

* Pass the Preliminary Examination or receive an exemption from it
    * Pass the Final Examination - First Part (FE-1)
    * Secure a training contract
    * Attend the PPC I and pass the course examinations
    * Spend a period of 11 months as a trainee solicitor in the training solicitor's office
    * Attend the PPC II and pass the course examinations
    * Serve the remainder of the two year term of apprenticeship following completion of the PPC II

What exactly is the preliminary exam and the FE1? I.E Do I just go in 1 day and do an exam or is it a year long thing.

Do I need a law degree from a college before starting?

What are the PPC's? How long do they last and can they be completed part time?

I am 19 years of age with no qualifications and very little money so was also wondering if grants are available and what the total cost might be?

Thanks

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Hi OP: Countless threads on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Hope the Mods don't mind me posting on this as it isn't locked. As said a bazillion threads but just a few bits on cost and grants.

The most cost effective way is to apply to University and do a law degree. As you are 19 you will need the points. At 21 / 23 you will be considered a mature student and the situation changes. It is possible to convert with another degree but prep courses are expensive.

You may be able to get a grant as with any other degree - it will depend on the means of who ever you live with (parents, wife, partner) and your own. These grants will cover the cost of fees for a University (TCD, UCD, DIT etc) but there are no grants available for private colleges (GCD, Independent, City. DBS etc.)

If you've been unemployed for a year the BTEA may be available speak to your local social welfare office.

The sad fact is that you need significant personal funds to break into the legal profession. The first few years work may be very, very poorly paid even if your are lucky enough to find a training contract.

Other options include doing a legal exec course and breaking in that way.

Hope this helps.

EDIT On the FE1s you will be fiddling about doing these for at least a year unpaid without any form of grant available. They only take a day each but are the first stage to allow you to get a training contract and are very tough indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Luke P

Thanks for the response :)

I'm only new so not exactly sure how to navigate the site but I'll give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

There'll be a few people here telling you not to bother given how hard it is for would-be solicitors to get any sort of ' start ' , worth bearing in mind there are people who have done and passed their exams but cannot get a trainee position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

OP, the vast majority of solicitors will have a minimum of an honours degree before even embarking on their training and many will also have Master degrees. With the greatest respect, I think without any qualifications you will find it next to impossible to get a job unless your dad happens to be a solicitor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Luke P

seriously, think of some other career.

I have been a solicitor for 40 plus years.

The job has got much harder, and there is little paying work about

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

nuac wrote: »
    seriously, think of some other career.

Barristerin', for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Barristerin', for example.

Then again perhaps not ? :D

6a00d834535c6c69e20115714ff3cb970c-pi

Where's the wig and cape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Re Barristers

Less work about for them also, and also strong competition from all the new entrants.

they have the advantange of lower overheads, less regulation, and a more collegiate environment

But guys and gals - law is tough, and getting tougher

• Advertisement

Just wanted to say that Nuac is absolutely correct but there are numerous opportunities with a Law degree OP other than becoming a barrister or solicitor. I'd personally love to do criminal defence as a barrister but have half a dozen other options I'm keeping open because there's about a 70% chance I won't be able to make a career out of it. (Some may think my chances might be even lower ;))

If the law interests you there is nothing to stop you doing a degree or even getting hold of some books, and looking up cases on Bailii. In all honesty if you don't have the motivation to do that at this stage you probably want to consider a different path anyway. If you're a big reader Literature or History might be suggestions. My brother is currently studying History though the OU and loves it.

It's not really my place to say this, as one should not make assumptions, but your post doesn't look like it came from someone of "19 years of age with no qualifications". On the off chance you might be Mum or Dad of said 19 year old heed what Nuac has said this isn't the ticket to a secure future just an interesting one.

Advertisement