Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job advertisements

• 03-05-2012 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

So it's that wonderful time of year again when we're all watching the papers like hawks and hoping for next year! Anyways I've a question that I've wondered about before.

If a job advertisement does not give any number of hours or mention the type of contract involved is it appropriate to contact the school to ask before filling out application forms/sending in CVs? You know the type of advertisement that lists a load of subjects with no specifications. There's one currently on education careers.ie and the referral is to the school website which has no further info!

I should have some hours in my current school next year but I'm still watching just in case I can get closer to full hours. I'm obviously not going to take a contract that's less hours than I'm on currently so I don't want to waste either mine or their time applying for something I wouldn't take,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Is there any particular days the independant has ads for education posts? Also what websites do you check? I've only really looked at educationposts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

So it's that wonderful time of year again when we're all watching the papers like hawks and hoping for next year! Anyways I've a question that I've wondered about before.

If a job advertisement does not give any number of hours or mention the type of contract involved is it appropriate to contact the school to ask before filling out application forms/sending in CVs? You know the type of advertisement that lists a load of subjects with no specifications. There's one currently on education careers.ie and the referral is to the school website which has no further info!

I should have some hours in my current school next year but I'm still watching just in case I can get closer to full hours. I'm obviously not going to take a contract that's less hours than I'm on currently so I don't want to waste either mine or their time applying for something I wouldn't take,

I would say the problem is the info has just not been put up on the school website yet.

I would definitely ring the school if I were you and just put it across as you could not find the info on the website so are just looking for clarification.

You do not need to give your name or any details doing this so there is no harm in doing it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is there any particular days the independant has ads for education posts? Also what websites do you check? I've only really looked at educationposts.ie

It's usually the indo on a thursday and the times on a friday.

educationposts.ie
    educationcareers.ie

and start making a list of links of the various vec websites as vec jobs are usually listed there and the ads in the paper usually direct you to their website anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You can subscribe to Limerick VEC and Kerry VEC and they'll email you job vacancy updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Another good one is www.vecvacancies.ie for positions at Co Dublin VEC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

It's a complete joke that all 33 VECs in this state are so chaotic, inefficient, fissiparous, protective of their own turf and downright applicant unfriendly that they refuse to have a single website for all VEC vacancies in the state. It's rationally unjustified that potential applicants have to check numerous VEC websites each time in order to find out if jobs are going.

Every time I made an application to a VEC the inefficiency of that organisation was brought home to me by the unnecessary laboriousness of that process. Don't reduce them to 16; reduce them to 1 and make savings by having greater economies of scale in everything from stationery to the number of political appointees on each of the existing 33 committees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seanchai wrote: »
    It's a complete joke that all 33 VECs in this state are so chaotic, inefficient, fissiparous, protective of their own turf and downright applicant unfriendly that they refuse to have a single website for all VEC vacancies in the state. It's rationally unjustified that potential applicants have to check numerous VEC websites each time in order to find out if jobs are going.

Every time I made an application to a VEC the inefficiency of that organisation was brought home to me by the unnecessary laboriousness of that process. Don't reduce them to 16; reduce them to 1 and make savings by having greater economies of scale in everything from stationery to the number of political appointees on each of the existing 33 committees.

Or put all the secondary schools under the local VEC - that would cut down even more duplication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

spurious wrote: »
    Or put all the secondary schools under the local VEC - that would cut down even more duplication.

Yes! Now you're talking. And then stop state-funding privately-owned schools. And then make the entire system secular and reduce the headaches which the current officially pluralist system is going to create.

Advertisement