Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision on service provider

• 03-05-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I have read through the forum here and have been following for a year or two but I am still unsure of which type of provider I should be looking at.
    Unfortunately my road in Dun Laoghaire is one of the few that has not got access to UPC broadband.
    I am looking for a provider with unlimited download package and they seem to be: Wimax, eircom and magnet
    I will be using the internet mostly for streaming and online gaming.
    I would ideally like to know the best service for me with the best latency for gaming as download speeds arent a huge issue for me.
    I believe there is an eircom exchange about 150m away and Wimax said there was an exchange in the dun laoghaire shopping centre which is also about 150m away.
    I was looking at the 8mb unlimited eircom package and the 7mb unlimited wimax package which were a similar cost.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Xeyn wrote: »
    I have read through the forum here and have been following for a year or two but I am still unsure of which type of provider I should be looking at.
    Unfortunately my road in Dun Laoghaire is one of the few that has not got access to UPC broadband.
    I am looking for a provider with unlimited download package and they seem to be: Wimax, eircom and magnet
    I will be using the internet mostly for streaming and online gaming.
    I would ideally like to know the best service for me with the best latency for gaming as download speeds arent a huge issue for me.
    I believe there is an eircom exchange about 150m away and Wimax said there was an exchange in the dun laoghaire shopping centre which is also about 150m away.
    I was looking at the 8mb unlimited eircom package and the 7mb unlimited wimax package which were a similar cost.
    Any ideas?

By Wimax I assume you mean Imagine wimax. Wimax is a technology and what Imagine have is an implementation of Wimax and a poor one too.
    So Imagine would be out on latency grounds...

The next best option would probably be Magnet, then eircom DSL.

Finally there is no such thing as "unlimited". All providers have limits they just wrap them up in "Fair usage" polices instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Thanks very much for the reply. Much appreciated.

Advertisement