Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Snail after laying eggs.

Options
  • 03-05-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm just after doing a water change in tank and have noticed that my apple snail has laid a clutch of eggs on the underside of the hood.I only have one snail and I was always under the impression that Apple Snails were separate sexes and didn't/couldn't reproduce on their own???

I bought the snail about 4-5 months ago, is there any chance she could have mated in the tank in the lfs and stored the sperm, or are could the eggs be infertile?

I've left the clutch alone on the off chance that they are fertile, but I have a pakistani loach that will probably devour them if they are hatch (I got him to clear an invasion of snails that came in on some live plants and he did the job in no time!)

Any advice on what to do?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've heard that they can hold eggs, but I have no idea for how long. If you have a management system, like the loach, then I'd be inclined to let them off. If you want to get rid then just scrape them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Sorry, I should have mentioned that if the eggs prove to be fertile, I'd love to have a go at raising them. Has anybody out there been able to raise a clutch before?

I have access to a second aquarium (uncle has an old 80 l) so could I try moving the clutch at some stage to save them from the loach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that if the eggs prove to be fertile, I'd love to have a go at raising them. Has anybody out there been able to raise a clutch before?

I have access to a second aquarium (uncle has an old 80 l) so could I try moving the clutch at some stage to save them from the loach.

Yes, I raised a clutch before. I wouldn't do it again. They're huge, eat lots, produce insane amounts of poo, have to 50% water changes twice a week, and when one of them dies, the smell is absolutely unbearable, and the rest of them eat it and there's bits of snail floating around in the tank, and then you've to do another water change.

I just floated a plastic breeder trap under the clutch, so when they hatched they fell into that and the fish couldn't get at them. I then moved them to a big tank by themselves. Out of a clutch of 100 you can expect to have maybe 30 to 40 mature, provided you keep the water perfect, add calcium, and give them about 5 litres per snail.

Advertisement