Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone recently moved and has unneeded boxes?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

We're moving next week, and we need to have pretty much everything packed over the weekend. I have moved a few time in the past, and having good boxes was always an issue. Rather than going around supermarkets scavenging for suitable boxes, I wonder if anyone has moved recently and still have unneeded boxes to give away - North Dublin area. Also, would appreciate sharing experience where to get good boxes - walked into Lidl today - they have nothing suitable. There used to be apple boxes - perfect size and very sturdy, but they don't seem to be around anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

I found boxes from wine shops brilliant when I moved, mostly v clean and strong. The 12 bottle size are perfect, the 6 bottle size are too small IMO. Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

birchtree wrote: »
    walked into Lidl today - they have nothing suitable. There used to be apple boxes - perfect size and very sturdy, but they don't seem to be around anymore.

Did you ask them to keep you a few to pick up tomorrow morning. Up to 10 boxes shouldn't be a problem if you can collect them at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

Did you ask them to keep you a few to pick up tomorrow morning. Up to 10 boxes shouldn't be a problem if you can collect them at 8am.

I talked to one of the employees, most of the boxes they have are display type of boxes with a side of it coming off. Most of the fruit boxes are not tall enough.

Thanks realgirl! And thanks for good tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mcdonut

Go to one of the larger marks and spencer stores and you shouldn't have a problem getting suitable boxes.Good luck with the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

To move personal delicate stuff(like a pc) or just some clothes or junk(:)) in your car for example, i've often used large Lidl bags instead of boxes. Handy to have handles on a bag for carrying with one hand instead of trying to carry a box around with two hands!;)

• Advertisement

Local off license said that there is a queue of people waiting for large boxes, and all the smaller ones are reserved for someone. And even smaller ones are taken away by customers who do not want to buy plastic bags. That means they have no cardboard waste!

The fruit and veg shop said they will have some apple boxes coming in next week - they are very good, but next week will be too late for me.

Easons said that sometimes they have large boxes, but not many.

Found an ad in donedeal "cardboard boxes from 80c each". Missed the bit that they are 'recycled' and got a bit disappointed at a pile of flattened cardboard. Paid 25 euro for 15 large boxes + 2 rolls of tape, still not sure whether this was good value or not. 3 of the boxes were damaged and it took quite a bit of tape to restore them to usable condition, one box is quite dirty. Of course, I should have checked, but I didn't know what to expect. But on the other hand, I needed boxes today, and I've got them - at a cost.

So, the lesson is to plan ahead in order to obtain boxes for free.

Anyone needing boxes in the next few weeks let me know, I can pass them on (for free) once unpacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Also, most storage facilities will charge you about 4 quid for a brand new medium sized box so worth your while getting your boxes second hand.

Lidl did have them for sale a while back for 2 quid a box, that is boxes that are strong enough for books(heavy). Pity they don't sell them all the time.

I hate moving...
    Moved 2/3 of the stuff yesterday....
    Toll: two broken items so far...

Advertisement