Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 'greatest guitarists' list... Oh wait this one's actually good!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

rcaz wrote: »
    http://www.spin.com/articles/spins-100-greatest-guitarists-all-time?page=0

Doesn't stick to the usual suspects at all. I was reading it going, "Yeah!... Yeah!..... ****in' yeah!!". Ribot, Cline, Bailey, Greenwood, Prince, Moore, Ranaldo, Shields... A list that sees past flashy solos? Finally.
    Just another dreary arbitrary list.... Only this time including more of the non-technical.

Still waiting on the definitive list-of-the-100-greatest-lists...

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got as far as Skrillex at 100 who they introduce with
    ...as far as we know, our asymmetrically coiffed party pal has never held a guitar in his life.
    I assume based on that then that it's just a list that deliberately avoids Slash, Clapton, Hendrix etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Great to see The Edge make it in at a slick #13.

This is his best ever performance by a long shot;

While The Edge is definitely a distinctive guitarist, I can't help but think of this every time he is mentioned:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

endacl wrote: »
    Just another dreary arbitrary list....

+1....and to make it worse...."The Edge" is on it. :rolleyes:

Is there really such a thing as the "greatest" guitarist, regardless of the status of the list ? :confused:

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    While The Edge is definitely a distinctive guitarist

Distinctive maybe, but the "greatest" albiet at #13 ??????? :D

Rigsby wrote: »
    Distinctive maybe, but the "greatest" albiet at #13 ??????? :D
    Of course he's not the greatest, I never said he was. As I wrote in my first post on this thread, the intro to #100 was enough to make me close the browser tab and get back to work. A list of 100 guitarists which starts off with someone who's not a guitar player doesn't make any sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

A list of 100 guitarists which starts off with someone who's not a guitar player doesn't make any sense to me.

Jam Master Jay is number 10 on the list, too. I don't see any problem, Run DMC did some amazing stuff with guitars, just they weren't actually playing the guitars. Still a lot of creative work and great execution applied to the sound of a guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

A list of 100 guitarists which starts off with someone who's not a guitar player doesn't make any sense to me.

Thats where I stopped reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

This list is a joke.

No Steve Vai, No Joe Satriani, No Steve Morse, No Michael Lee Firkins, No Stevie Ray Vaughan etc etc.

• Advertisement

Hell no Jimi Hendrix.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    This list is a joke.

No Steve Vai, No Joe Satriani, No Steve Morse, No Michael Lee Firkins, No Stevie Ray Vaughan etc etc.

That's exactly the point, though. Read the opening paragraphs, this list isn't about that kind of guitar playing. God forbid guitar players should be rated by anything other than technical ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

*Sees Trey Azagthoth at 90*

Squeee!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I was happy to see Eddie Hazel on the list, I don't think he deserves to be placed as high as number nine, but it's good to see the funk child get recognition. Still tho, Skrillex as number 100?! The list tries far too hard to be cool and non-conformist.

Also, no Jimi in the top 40 (if he even makes the list?) means the list is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

That's exactly the point, though. Read the opening paragraphs, this list isn't about that kind of guitar playing. God forbid guitar players should be rated by anything other than technical ability.

Sorry but the minimum basic requirement to be included on a 'Greatest Guitarist' list is that you actually play a guitar. Either that or re-name the list 'The Greatest bands/musicians to use guitars in their work but not actually play the guitar themselves'. But that name isn't as catchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

But to be rated for having never played the guitar on their recordings as in Skrillex's place? And Jam Master Jay might have been a master manipulator of guitar samples and an innovator but being in a greatest guitarist list is silly.

Sorry but the minimum basic requirement to be included on a 'Greatest Guitarist' list is that you actually play a guitar. Either that or re-name the list 'The Greatest bands/musicians to use guitars in their work but not actually play the guitar themselves'. But that name isn't as catchy.

No need to be sorry, you're just very closed-minded, it's okay :pac: Just ignore Skrillex and Jam Master Jay and you've got a great list of 98 guitarists to go through.

The electric guitar was invented when, 1931? And we still haven't gotten past the idea of 'playing guitar' meaning only putting your fingers on the frets and plucking the strings? Think about Sonic Youth, with their prepared guitars and baseball bats, drills, whatever else, or My Bloody Valentine, with loads of guitars with only two strings on, tuned to the same note, where they recorded just the two strings with no fretting or moving, and based the whole sound around the manipulation of those sounds. Now what's so different between what those guys do and what Run DMC did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

What is the criteria for the "Greatest Ever"?
    most agree that Hendrix would be number 1.
    I've seen some lists that have Slash for example at 35, although a great player with excellent riffs he could possibly be the most iconic guitarist ever, with the Les Paul, top hat, cigarette etc he nearly ticks all the boxes of a cartoon character.
    The likes of Chuck Berry although basic players invented styles that was the ground work for what came later so should they be considered ahead of better players that built on his leg work?

Dotsey wrote: »
    What is the criteria for the "Greatest Ever"

There's none. It is all in the individual's ear and mind. ;)

That's why, like in this thread there is always the "why isn't X,Yand Z in there"? type of comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Rigsby wrote: »
    There's none. It is all in the individual's ear and mind. ;)

That's why, like in this thread there is always the "why isn't X,Yand Z in there"? type of comments.
    that's what I'm saying though, rock can be as much about the eye as the ear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Great to see The Edge make it in at a slick #13.

This is his best ever performance by a long shot;

I'm still waiting for him to do something?????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

F**k yeah, Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore. I've seen a lot of these lists and 99% of them are a joke, with prudes like Slash, Steve Vai and others. Passionate and creative guitar playing is always more inspiring than wanky, technical, emotionless guitar soloing. The likes of J. Mascis and Kevin Shields beat Slash any day.

Steve Vai is NOT a prude. :mad: You can call each list subjective and opinions on who is best are simply that, opinions, but you can not doubt the man's amazing technical ability and mastery of guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Steve Vai is NOT a prude. :mad: You can call each list subjective and opinions on who is best are simply that, opinions, but you can not doubt the man's amazing technical ability and mastery of guitar.

Also, Passion and Warfare is a very thoughtfully-composed album; I'm very impressed with his compositional technique (on this album at least), whereas many of his contemporaries unfortunately rely on boring backing tracks over which they can play.

I can admire the technical ability but that's all and nothing more, I feel nothing from it. What's the motivation and drive behind it? What's he using his guitar for other than to show how many scales he can play? If you get where I'm coming from. The likes of J. Masics, Greg Ginn and Kurt Cobain, while not technically gifted, put something else into their guitar playing that Steve Vai or Joe Satriani never did.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I can admire the technical ability but that's all and nothing more, I feel nothing from it. What's the motivation and drive behind it? What's he using his guitar for other than to show how many scales he can play? If you get where I'm coming from. The likes of J. Masics, Greg Ginn and Kurt Cobain, while not technically gifted, put something else into their guitar playing that Steve Vai or Joe Satriani never did.

Yeah I can see your side alright. As far as I'm concerned, Cobain's playing was more about his attitude, the wanting to stay out of the limelight, turn your back on the world essence of himself, and he did it very well. His guitar sounds ugly and uncaring, but that's it's appeal, and it really suits the music he played.

Vai on the other hand, can convey emotion through his playing. He does this through the utilisation of different modes and keys, and his huge knowledge of the instrument. I suppose you could put it on par with classical music. I get where you're coming from though, Vai is of the high-brow "look at how much I know about music and how well I can do it" frame of mind, and I've seen him play live and it does get tiresome and boring after a while. Let's be honest, he'll probably never write a hit like Wonderwall, but then does the make Noel Gallagher a better guitarist than him, after all, more people like songs he's written than Vai has, his music is more accessible and has most likely reached more people than Vai's. (Just an example, of course Vai > NG lol).

I think though saying that you feel nothing from Vai's playing just means you haven't heard enough of it or given it enough of a chance. Yeah it's very technical, but some of it's very emotive. I wouldn't be his biggest fan anymore, but songs like tender surrender or whispering a prayer are quite beautiful and stirring in their composition.

I know what you mean though, there's more to playing that sweep picking at 240bpm, but this poll still annoys me. Maybe it's because I'm a guitarist and so want to see all the greats up there (as if they haven't dominated enough polls, lol), but it's the sort of contradicting rules they have, like throwing in people that don't play the guitar (mentioned a few posts ago), or removing people like Jimi, even though he was far from conventional in the way he played. I don't know, it just feels like a poll for hipsters to get excited over, I just wish they'd admit it. (Case in point, putting Eddie Hazel in at no. 9. Yes, Maggot Brain is a epic tune, one of my favourites, but his playing besides that was hardly revolutionary or new, he was just a funk player. Having him there just feels to me like the writers exclaiming 'look how cool and alternative we are!').

PS Great to see Slayer floating around the 20 mark tho
    \m/ take that hipsters \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

If Skrillex is there then Lil Wayne should be on it. At least he has played a guitar.

Zero1986 wrote: »

Have you ever seen either of these two play live. If you have your lying. They live and breath emotion through their guitars.

No:

Jimi Page
    Eddie Van Halen
    Hank Marvin
    Mark Knopfler 
    Bobby Gustafson
    Zaak Wylde
    Randy Rhoads
    Paco de lucia
    Narciso Yepes

• Advertisement

I think a lot of people are missing the point that Spin magazine caters for a certain type of music fan than say Rolling Stone. A greatest guitarist list made by Rolling Stone is always going to biased toward classic rock while a magazine like Spin would be more biased towards alternative music. No greatest guitarists list will ever be definitive so If you are complaining about your favourite guitarist not being included you are wasting your time.

This list just happens to be more diverse than ones I've previously seen.

Advertisement