Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychopaths.

• 03-05-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

The ones that go about killing people and so on. D'you reckon they totally get what they're doing, or do they think it's some sort of service, to whoever they kill or society as a whole? I always wondered. I day dream constantly about a killing various people, and not in a "That Karl is an asshole, I'll feckin' murder him" kind of way, but I doubt I ever could. Does that make me a couple of steps away from being a psycho? I dunno, pretty sure I'm not a psycho.

Bring on the username related jokes, I'll check back after a few pages if this doesn't go and get locked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Are you bipolar by any chance, Joe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

The ones that go about killing people and so on. D'you reckon they totally get what they're doing, or do they think it's some sort of service, to whoever they kill or society as a whole? I always wondered. I day dream constantly about a killing various people, and not in a "That Karl is an asshole, I'll feckin' murder him" kind of way, but I doubt I ever could. Does that make me a couple of steps away from being a psycho? I dunno, pretty sure I'm not a psycho.

Bring on the username related jokes, I'll check back after a few pages if this doesn't go and get locked.

Will you be the guy that people will look back on and think
    '' if only we reported it'' 'He talked about it in forums''
    '' if only someone saw warning signs''

Maybe some one should report you if you think about killing people, Geez,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

The ones that go about killing people and so on.

no that is a psychopath. common misconception would you believe. someone incapable of feeling emotions is a sociopath. a psychopath

hm

i forgot what i was going to say

oh well, have a great day tomorrow everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i just read your full post, you sound like the least-threatening, most un-'psycho'-like guy i've ever known.

congratulations, you're normal :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

"It's terrible Joe, they're psychopaths Joe"

Mary from Clondalkin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I need to return some video tapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

So what is your difference, Joe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

no that is a psychopath. common misconception would you believe. someone incapable of feeling emotions is a sociopath. a psychopath

hm

wut :confused:. he is talking about psychopaths. what are you on :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

If you have empathy with others than you are not psychopathic.
    Most people can have very voilent toughts at times and thats normal.
    its crossing the line and carrying out these toughts into actions
    that make it wrong.
    I dream of knocking down Bertie alot and than I get out and finish him off with a hammer. But I dont do,thats the difference.
    One day Bertie one day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Joe

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Most serial killers you do be hearing about are primarily motivated by a sexual dysfunction of some sort which means they are sexually excited by some aspect of murder or its aftermath. They account for the vast majority of serial killers. Then there are what's known as visionary serial killers, such as Peter Sutcliffe or the Son of Sam, who murder as part of a plan which is relayed to them by some imagined higher power. You also have goal driven killers who aim to change the world in some way with their killings, like Ted Kaczynski, who was an anarcho-primitivist and targeted centres of technological and scientific development with letter bombs.

Psychopathy is a disorder which is prevalent among serial killers, but that doesn't mean that all psychopaths are killers or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is it possible to train oneself to rise above one's conscience and kill just for the sake of killing. There was an intellectual school of thought in the 1920s called the superman complex which stemmed from the philosophical teachings of Nietzche. Its basic concept was to reach a high intellectual plain above the human conscience and to live life exactly as one saw fit ignoring laws and limits imposed by society.

Psychopaths are real cold. You can sence it off them. Your animal instincts kick in when your near one. There like zombies with no souls.
    For the atheists, there like cold machines.
    Its an experience to be in their company and one that I hope to never repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Is it possible to train oneself to rise above one's conscience and kill just for the sake of killing. There was an intellectual school of thought in the 1920s called the superman complex which stemmed from the philosophical teachings of Nietzche. Its basic concept was to reach a high intellectual plain above the human conscience and to live life exactly as one saw fit ignoring laws and limits imposed by society.

Isn't that what the dude in Norway said, about training himself to have no emotion so he could kill all those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Apparantly we all have the urge to kill but some people can't control it and act out on it. I love reading about murderers. Ed Gein and Jeff Dahmer are my faves. Nice blokes:D

Larianne wrote: »
    Isn't that what the dude in Norway said, about training himself to have no emotion so he could kill all those people.

like some sort of.......soldier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

daddydick wrote: »
    Are you bipolar by any chance, Joe?

Yeah.

hm

Be quiet.
    Psychopathy is a disorder which is prevalent among serial killers, but that doesn't mean that all psychopaths are killers or vice versa.

That's why I made the distinction of "The ones that go about killing people and so on." You know, as opposed to the ones that don't.

Larianne wrote: »

Yeah I think he did try and desensitise himself to a degree before carrying out his atrocity. The difference between him and the so called 'superman' is that he had a cause he was killing for. The 'superman' kills just because he can, or so the theory goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Psychopaths are real cold. You can sence it off them. Your animal instincts kick in when your near one. There like zombies with no souls.
    For the atheists, there like cold machines.
    Its an experience to be in their company and one that I hope to never repeat.

Psychopaths usually tend to be charming people actually.
    They usually appear to be very confident and disarming.
    Quite a few psychopaths do not commit crimes or murder.
    They can have families and be respected members of communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Apparantly we all have the urge to kill but some people can't control it and act out on it. I love reading about murderers. Ed Gein and Jeff Dahmer are my faves. Nice blokes:D

:o just about all my books are on serial killers, we should be best friends
    Sindri wrote: »

Someone's been watching lots of Criminal Minds :D

• Advertisement

I think it was Ted Bundy who fitted this description somewhat, by accounts from people who knew him he had a charming confident personality, he was also quite good looking and popular with woman, he didn't have to lure a lot of his victims they came to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Being a psychopath means you can tell the difference between right and wrong, but you simply don't care if what you do is wrong.

It doesn't automatically make you a murderer and the number of people who are psychopaths is probably massively under reported. Most probably live normal lives taking advantage of others to get ahead and get what they want, just like regular people. They simply don't feel remorse about doing bad things to others.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

worst psychopaths are those who are CEO's

the sort who jump from company to company making radical changes benefiting themselves but not the employees or customers

• Registered Users Posts: 9 karnsft

You should try reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, might help you see things clearer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_and_Punishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I think it was Ted Bundy who fitted this description somewhat, by accounts from people who knew him he had a charming confident personality, he was also quite good looking and popular with woman, he didn't have to lure a lot of his victims they came to him.

He also had quite a successful career and life going for him before his compulsions if that is what they were became regular.

Supposedly there is evidence of the possibility he began the gratification of his sick perversions at the age of 14.

I was looking into a treatment for psychopathy. There is a root with hallucinogenic effects used in a coming of age ceremony by males of a tribe in Africa. It appears to affect the parts of the brain dealing with remorse and guilt.

It would be interesting to see the effects it could have on psychopaths and sociopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Hey Joe ! Where you gonna go with that gun in your hand? Hey Joe !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

As Sindri and Simi says, I happen to know a couple of classic psychopaths. They're not killers. But no doubt they would kill you if it suited them.

They can be unbelievably charming and convincing. If you suit their purposes you are their greatest friend. When you cease to be useful or fail to meet their purposes they will cut you off without any form of conscience.

It's a common miconception that psycopaths are dangerous. In fact many are highly successful in business terms because they allow nothing to get in their way.

But they're so ruthless that they often need someone to intercede and explain when they're going wrong. They are sufficiently intelligent to realise that.

Once you know someone is a psychopath you can use them to advance your own agenda. Play them at their own game because quite often they are going to be rich. If you use them properly you can take advantage of their ruthlessness. But don't think you are important to them. They will use you up and discard you without a moment's regret.

I wonder what the term is for someone like me who takes advantage of a psychopath.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

It can't be that common a misconception if every person says it's a common misconception. Maybe that is the common misconception.

• Advertisement

Thats if you dont know their psychopaths, I was in the once in the company of a psychopath that had carried out a few murders. Even after leaving their company I felt physical sick for a couple of hours afterwards.
    And your right not all psychopaths commit murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Your poem doesn't rhyme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

xflyer wrote: »

I wonder what the term is for someone like me who takes advantage of a psychopath.;)

Diced.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

curious breed indeed! i don't know really, i've come across some fairly dodgy characters in my time, even one who ended up murdering someone, but most of which thankfully i managed to avoid. i think as a civilised society we try to to rationalise it, but at the end of the day we're just animals acting on animal instincts, some people are just predators by nature if you ask me and there's nothing you can do about it. you can go on all day and night about what part of the brain does what or which or why.. but nature is going to produce people like this regardless of how happy or unhappy their upbringing was and for no apparent reason whatsoever. there's obviously something very wrong with them, but many of those individuals have no problem whatsoever in doing what they do and are quite happy and proud of their achievements. who knows.. insanity.. a scrambled genetic mutation or an unfortunate random circumstance of life events.. they are here to stay.

take this guy for instance..

1% of all boss's are also psychopaths :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

As Sindri and Simi says, I happen to know a couple of classic psychopaths. They're not killers. But no doubt they would kill you if it suited them.

They can be unbelievably charming and convincing. If you suit their purposes you are their greatest friend. When you cease to be useful or fail to meet their purposes they will cut you off without any form of conscience.

It's a common miconception that psycopaths are dangerous. In fact many are highly successful in business terms because they allow nothing to get in their way.

But they're so ruthless that they often need someone to intercede and explain when they're going wrong. They are sufficiently intelligent to realise that.

Once you know someone is a psychopath you can use them to advance your own agenda. Play them at their own game because quite often they are going to be rich. If you use them properly you can take advantage of their ruthlessness. But don't think you are important to them. They will use you up and discard you without a moment's regret.

The only thing that can stand up to a psychopath, is, of course, another psychopath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

I think they are great. They make being on a bike much safer and also take the poor cyclists out of the targets of the crazy and frustrated drivers.

Oh wait, sorry, I thought you said "cycle paths"

dyer wrote: »
    curious breed indeed! i don't know really, i've come across some fairly dodgy characters in my time, even one who ended up murdering someone, but most of which thankfully i managed to avoid. i think as a civilised society we try to to rationalise it, but at the end of the day we're just animals acting on animal instincts, some people are just predators by nature if you ask me and there's nothing you can do about it. you can go on all day and night about what part of the brain does what or which or why.. but nature is going to produce people like this regardless of how happy or unhappy their upbringing was and for no apparent reason whatsoever. there's obviously something very wrong with them, but many of those individuals have no problem whatsoever in doing what they do and are quite happy and proud of their achievements. who knows.. insanity.. a scrambled genetic mutation or an unfortunate random circumstance of life events.. they are here to stay.

take this guy for instance..

he's not a psychopath. I know. dangerous yes. psychopath no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No beer or no tv makes headshot something something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Headshot wrote: »
    No beer or no tv makes headshot something something

Load the chamber...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I wrote a piece in a thread about Dexter, look it up if you can find it.
    I can't find it because boards destroyed there search function and it's crap now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

BiPolar - here you go :
    Found it, should have taken me 30 secs but took me 5 mins coz of that crap search function

Complete these steps and you'll be grand...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75468797

Quote :

Dexter is deadly, what an idea, what an actor. Here is what you will need to aquire as I've thought about this alot over time since Enda took over:

1.)Lots of plastic sheets
    2.)Hi-ace van or similiar - would have to be stolen or have fake reg's
    3.)Boat but not in a harbour, one you can access via a very small penninsula
    4.)Access to Horse Tranquilizer & a syringe
    5.)Balaclava
    6.)Gloves
    7.)Shoes that are too big for you but still fit you but appear 2 sizes bigger
    8.)Gun / Crow bar- Just in case
    9.)Police Radio
    10.)Fake ID's
    11.) Alliby

1 - To place the body on & carry out your work
    2 - Van needed to ambush person, prefably on footpath but could be anywhere
    Hi-Ace also has side sliding door which would be great for concealing urself
    3 - Boat but not in a harbour, somewhere quiet and dark so no one see's you going "sailing" at night, drop body in sea somewhere with "cement shoes"
    4 - Horse Tranquilizer is what Dexter uses but I think I would prefer a pressure syringe, ie it shoots it via your skin at high velocity. Stun gun would also be good here to quickly paralyse victim before using Tranquilizer.
    5- Balaclava for obvious reasons
    6- Gloves for obvious reasons
    7 - Shoes that are too big, just in case you leave a footprint near where the person was abducted it will throw off the investigation as they will be looking for someone bigger / heavier
    8 - Gun - just in case something goes wrong - easily purcahed online & sent in parts to anywhere in the world - you re-assemble the weapon yourself
    9 - Police Radio - easy to get a hold of on the net, you can listen in to the police and have a better idea of where they are, what they're doing etc...
    10 - Fake ID's - just in case you get stopped at a checkpoint before "the deed"
    11 - I was in all night watching Xfactor ??

I would also go as far to shave all the hair off my body bar eyebrows so they can't get you via hair / DNA samples.

The hardest part would be when you have the body with you for transport.
    That would be the most nervous part of it all.

Also it would be best to go for weak ppl, old ppl, females & politicians etc....

If only you could get a sniper rifle though everything would be much much much easier.

Those lads in the US that snipered people via the reg plate in their car was a very very clever idea. ( not the killing, just the idea behind how to conceal it all )

If it came to it I would probably use ticknock / the wicklow mountains to bury a body and I'm sure it would be easier than using a boat as there's less chance of getting caught ??

So my next question would be do you know anyone that works in Vetinary Science ?? I can get the rest of the goods myself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IM0 wrote: »
    1% of all boss's are also psychopaths :eek:
    The % is higher the further you go up the corporate ladder

about 1 in 25 CEO's are psychopaths.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/the-stack-the-psychopath-test-by-jon-ronson-07212011.html
    "Basically, high-scoring psychopaths can be brilliant bosses but only ever for short term...they always want to make a killing and move on."

“Serial killers ruin families,” Hare says. “Corporate and political and religious psychopaths ruin economies. They ruin societies.

Psychopaths have other advantages, too. According to Ronson, they learn to mimic emotion to manipulate their victims. “Try to teach them empathy and they’ll cunningly use it,” he writes. To such monsters, therapy is grist and workplace harassment videos are little more than training tools. There is nothing to do, really, but lock them up, or put them in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shatstand

I know this might appear to be simple trolling, but I honestly believe that Bertie Ahern is a psychopath. Would anyone agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Shatstand wrote: »
    I know this might appear to be simple trolling, but I honestly believe that Bertie Ahern is a psychopath. Would anyone agree?

You may have something there....Bundy was all set for a career in politics, apparently politics is another area where psychopaths are drawn to, no surprises there!!

Advertisement