Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Shopping Centre - Should It Go?

Options
  • 04-05-2012 12:20am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Galway Shopping Centre was the first shopping centre in Connaught when it opened 40 years ago, in 1972. Back at the time of its opening, it must have seemed amazing to people - enclosed malls, large supermarkets and a whole range of shops under one roof to serve a Galway city that was beginning to transform itself from a sleepy remote place into the dynamic and vibrant city it is today.

But is the shopping centre really needed today? The city centre is well served with shops and the Eyre Square Centre and a number of other shopping centres have sprung up in recent years in the suburbs to serve the city.

The Galway Shopping centre is very dated and ugly and it creates traffic problems in and around the Headford Road and Quincentennial bridge.

So, should the Galway Shopping Centre (and the retail park opposite it) be demolished and replaced by something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Yes

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Ah tis grand where it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Galway Shopping Centre was the first shopping centre in Connaught when it opened 40 years ago, in 1972. Back at the time of its opening, it must have seemed amazing to people - enclosed malls, large supermarkets and a whole range of shops under one roof to serve a Galway city that was beginning to transform itself from a sleepy remote place into the dynamic and vibrant city it is today.
    It was actually open air until a much later revamp. The shops had a canopy extending out over their frontage but it didn't reach half way across to the meet the canopy from the shop opposite so the centre of the walkway was open to the elements. You definitely felt you were outside rather than inside.
    But is the shopping centre really needed today? The city centre is well served with shops and the Eyre Square Centre and a number of other shopping centres have sprung up in recent years in the suburbs to serve the city.
    Eyre Square centre is paid parking, requires you to venture right into the city centre rather than skirting around the edges, and doesn't have a decent supermarket (small footprint Dunnes). The only comparable options on the east side of the city are Dunnes Terryland or Briarhill (also Dunnes). So you are proposing to hand a virtual monopoly to Dunnes?
    The Galway Shopping centre is very dated and ugly and it creates traffic problems in and around the Headford Road and Quincentennial bridge.
    It can only be creating traffic problems if people are actually using it. So why should those people be inconvenienced to facilitate others who are just passing through?
    So, should the Galway Shopping Centre (and the retail park opposite it) be demolished and replaced by something else?
    So we should lose Smyths, Elverys, and Halfords as well and create another monopoly (multiplex cinema)? I may be getting the wrong end of the stick but you sound like someone who lives in the Western suburbs but commutes to Ballybrit or Parkmore and who has had a particularly rough journey home this evening and wants to vent your frustrations on someone or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

No it shouldn't, its providing services to many thousands each week, a large provider of jobs which i assume you are going to replace quickly in the short term? Pointless thread, no offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

the new plans for it are very very nice, lots of glass, very modern, way more floorspace, underground parking, however that's all they are, plans..... It is dated right now but it does serve a purpose, when it eventually is upgraded you wouldn't be saying the same thing OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I do have a right to express an opinion. Galway Shopping Centre served a very important purpose 20, 30 and 40 years ago but the city has grown and developed so much since 1972 - the population over the past 40 years has gone from 29,000 to 77,000 and there are a number of other shopping centres.

We all know how dire the traffic on the Headford Road is which isn't helped by the shopping centre or the retail park. Galway is far too car dependent while it has a beautiful (but small) and vibrant city centre that could do with more shops to fill the vacant units there.

Of course the Galway Shopping centre provides jobs - and jobs that are needed in these current times - but you could argue that an aluminium smelting facility on Galway Bay "provides jobs" even if it would be an environmental disaster.

It just seems to me that the shopping centre has seen better days and has become obsolete. Maybe it should be knocked and replaced by a completely new centre, served by a dedicated high capacity bus service and multi storey car parks - as it is in its current state it's a dreadful waste of land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think it was the late Peter McCarthy in his book McCarthy's Bar who wrote - and I'm quoting from memory here -

"There is a roundabout close to the centre of Galway City serving hideous shopping malls and drive thru restaurants that wouldn't have been granted planning permission in New Jersey. How something so ugly can exist less than a mile from the medieval heart of town is a mystery of planning regulation."

I think he sums the place up perfectly.

Lapin wrote: »
    I think it was the late Peter McCarthy in his book McCarthy's Bar who wrote - and I'm quoting from memory here -

"There is a roundabout close to the centre of Galway City serving hideous shopping malls and drive thru restaurants that wouldn't have been granted planning permission in New Jersey. How something so ugly can exist less than a mile from the medieval heart of town is a mystery of planning regulation."

I think he sums the place up perfectly.

I would agree with his sentiment. I'm not actually against drive thru McDonalds or any other fast food outlets or the large retail stores like Smyths - they serve Galway well. My problem is their location - immediately north of the historic city centre and at a critical "pinch point" for much of the city's traffic. Also, let's face it - the retail park and Galway shopping centre are eyesores.

Perhaps a new shopping centre shoud be built further out of the city as its current location - whilst fine in the much, much smaller Galway of 1972, is a major contributor to the severe traffic problems the city endures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Maybe the problem is with the surplus of cars? As a pedestrian, I'm sure my trips to Tesco would benefit greatly from the hypothetical removal of that poxy roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I would agree with his sentiment. I'm not actually against drive thru McDonalds or any other fast food outlets or the large retail stores like Smyths - they serve Galway well. My problem is their location - immediately north of the historic city centre and at a critical "pinch point" for much of the city's traffic. Also, let's face it - the retail park and Galway shopping centre are eyesores.

Perhaps a new shopping centre shoud be built further out of the city as its current location - whilst fine in the much, much smaller Galway of 1972, is a major contributor to the severe traffic problems the city endures.

Historic me arse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

yer man! wrote: »
    the new plans for it are very very nice, lots of glass, very modern, way more floorspace, underground parking, however that's all they are, plans..... It is dated right now but it does serve a purpose, when it eventually is upgraded you wouldn't be saying the same thing OP.

The revamp is adue to start within 18 months..

I thought polanning was refused due to the increase in traffic it would bring? Maybe I'm behind the times though and it has been granted in the meantme

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

I live near there. I don't use a car. The shopping center is a great location IMHO. It's got all you need under the one roof. I prefer it to the Eyre Square center, less arsing around to try and get from A-B. The retail park across the road is great too. Moving it further out is a dumb idea. You're just kicking the problem on and the same thread will crop up in 30-40 years time complaing about the size and facilities of moved centre.

I think the place has worn well. I've seen worse centres of a similar age in Limerick/Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Closing it down is a dumb idea. You need more options outside the city centre not less. I don't want to go in to town for my day-to-day shopping. Decentralizing the big shops out of the city centre alliveates traffic. This leaves the city centre free for restaurants, pubs, and specialty shops which attract tourists.

Limerick has a better malls than Galway. What we need is a modern, larger mall, with a parking tower.

Bigger! Better! New! Improved! Destroy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Once there's a bypass the traffic around the complex should be ok. Also the exit off the roundabout into the shopping centre is being extinguished. http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/130212_01.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

newkie wrote: »

Limerick has a better malls than Galway. What we need is a modern, larger mall, with a parking tower.

Bigger! Better! New! Improved! Destroy!

It'll take a while but gradually move the retail park tenants into new buildings in the shopping center and convert the the retail park into a multi story.

Convert the retail park into a city wide transport hub & multi story car park, wtih a pedestrian bridge linking the 2nd/3rd floor of the car park to the 2nd/3rd floor of the shopping center - like the connection from the car park in Dublin airport's T2 to the terminal proper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

newkie wrote: »
    Closing it down is a dumb idea. You need more options outside the city centre not less. I don't want to go in to town for my day-to-day shopping. Decentralizing the big shops out of the city centre alliveates traffic. This leaves the city centre free for restaurants, pubs, and specialty shops which attract tourists.

I presume you're taking the mick by citing Limerick as an example? The doughnut effect of all their out of town shopping centres has the middle of town there more of a ghost town than Galway ever will be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Knocknacarra has a big hole in the ground with a Dunnes Stores next to it. Mervue just has a big hole.

Why can't we simply do the same thing on the Headford Road??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I do have a right to express an opinion. Galway Shopping Centre served a very important purpose 20, 30 and 40 years ago but the city has grown and developed so much since 1972 - the population over the past 40 years has gone from 29,000 to 77,000 and there are a number of other shopping centres.

We all know how dire the traffic on the Headford Road is which isn't helped by the shopping centre or the retail park. Galway is far too car dependent while it has a beautiful (but small) and vibrant city centre that could do with more shops to fill the vacant units there.

Of course the Galway Shopping centre provides jobs - and jobs that are needed in these current times - but you could argue that an aluminium smelting facility on Galway Bay "provides jobs" even if it would be an environmental disaster.

It just seems to me that the shopping centre has seen better days and has become obsolete. Maybe it should be knocked and replaced by a completely new centre, served by a dedicated high capacity bus service and multi storey car parks - as it is in its current state it's a dreadful waste of land.
    How is it obsolete, its very busy any time i go out there. Plus you think retailers in relatively large shopping centre units would want to move to small city centre units where rents are higher? You really haven't thought this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe finish off Crown Plaza (not sure how big it is or how much parking) and do something other than retail at one of the sites on Headford Rd perhaps ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Knocknacarra has a big hole in the ground with a Dunnes Stores next to it. Mervue just has a big hole.

Why can't we simply do the same thing on the Headford Road??
    A series of multi-purpose aquadromes which can be ice rinks in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So where exactly could the replacement Tesco go, that's within walking distance of the city centre? 'Cos I sure as *** can't find everything I want in "Dunnes Stores, the difference is we have a restricted product line, poor store organisation and treat our staff badly".

And if you're gunning for the retail park too - what about the replacement Woodies?

The city centre would have space for the smaller footprint retailers (though I'm not actually convinced that there's that much empty space there), but not the larger ones.

Seems to me that the folks who are in favour of this idea are the ones with cars, who'd not be worried by having to drive an extra 2-5kms.

Those of us who choose to live car-free see things a bit differently.

And for those of you suggesting moving it further out of town - would that be inside or outside the longed-for Outer Bypass? Just curious like ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's a fantastic location for the service it provides. OP away with the fairies with your idea :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Robbo wrote: »
    A series of multi-purpose aquadromes which can be ice rinks in the winter?

With a monorail. Don't forget the monorail!

OP, howya ;) When's the last time you came down to Galway, and why didn't you give me a buzz for pints?
    The shopping centre might be an eyesore, and the Headford Rd might be a traffic bottleneck, but its a very busy shopping centre and definitely not obsolete - if you remove it the city centre will become even more congested as people will be forced into town more. Traffic will hopefully (!) be addressed with the new signalised junctions, though I remain to be convinced of that. Can't be any worse than the magic roundabout though...

Wasn't there a proposal about 2 years ago to completely redevelop the shopping centre? Or am I thinking of something else?

Edit: thanks pg633! That's what I was thinking of...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

The shopping centre served a purpose 20, 30 and 40 years ago just as it still does today to the many people who visit it.

These other "shopping centres"...where exactly are they?
    Westside? - Rubbish
    Briarhill? - Just a Dunnes Stores really.
    Knocknacarra? - Rubbish, barely anything there.

Do you really think that removing the shopping centre will improve the traffic situation hugely? I doubt it will much. The huge traffic jams are citywide and stretch from one side of town to the other. Removing the centre won't improve things majorly.

Comparing the SC to an aluminium plant? I'm not even going to comment on that comparison.

I don't understand why you suggest to demolish the centre for environmental reasons and then suggest to replace with with another along with multi-storey car parks, which would attract even more traffic?

While I personally have no issue with out of town shopping centres, aren't they known for increasing car dependence and traffic congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Get rid of it I say, Galway needs more job losses.

Having given this a little more thought I would like to see a public transport hub developed on the site of the shopping centre and the retail park moved further out of the city. A mixed use development of shops, offices and apartments might fit the bill.

The site is somewhat of a waste of land as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Jesus, that's a dreadful image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

If you want to see more the application is here http://gis.galwaycity.ie/WebDocsViewer/Results.asp?file_number=0533

It's a huge application, page 464 and onwards of the drawings seems to have most of the actual details, it's all traffic analysis before that.
    It appears there is supposed to be a theater in the bit near the road.
    There are some before and after picture from page 573 onwards.

Advertisement