Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Shopping Centre - Should It Go?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

the idea of getting rid of them is completely absurd and saying it no longer serves a purpose you clearly dont use it for your shopping if you did you would see many many people there doing weekly shopping etc. i use it quite regularly for my weekly shops as do many people without cars and it is far better to go there then having the extra walk to town. i get that the traffic is poor but is getting rid of it really going to solve anything. the problem is the road is not cut out for that kind of traffic which i guarantee will still exist with or without them. as far as the plans to do it up i personally think that would be madness in the current financial climate. im from an area in cork called douglas where a shopping centre just like this one was done up. the galway shopping centre actually looks quite similar from the style of tiles to the ceiling and also has tesco as its main super market. the problem was when the construction began it killed many of the small local shops as so many customers were driven away from it by the annoyance of the building work and for nearly a year after construction finished it was nearly empty of shops. only recently has it again started to have enough shops to have people walking from one end to the other and not just going in the tesco sides entrance and so getting people to go into the shops that survived long enough and have enough customers but the toll is there to see for anyone who lived near or worked in the centre as many of the old shops are gone which had been there for many many years. it still has a few empty shops and it has been 3 years since it was completed. i'm not saying never do it but if they do it in the current financial climate you will kill many of the shops which are there so long and who are probably not part of a franchise which can help it survive.

Advertisement