Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire alarm just went off in the apartment building

• 04-05-2012 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭

scared the **** out of me, cue running around the place trying to stop smoke alarms then realising it wasnt them. :confused: being confused while standing on a chair while your ears bleed is not a good situation to be in.

weird, always thought fire alarms were a hall feature, not inside everyones apartment :eek: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I understand now why people post "Cool story, bro."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I understand now why people post "Cool story, bro."

but it is a cool story :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

our ****tin fire alarms are constantly going off. if there ever is a fire, there'll be at least 80 people dead here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

How alarming ! Cool story even though.

our ****tin fire alarms are constantly going off. if there ever is a fire, there'll be at least 80 people dead here.

I never knew every appt had one! :(. is this common knowledge or am I a tit :confused:
    and what sets them off anyway :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Bring back buckets of sand I say. (they double up as big ashtrays too).

well i'd imagine most new buildings would have them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 Sparklepants!

IM0 wrote: »
    I never knew every appt had one! :(. is this common knowledge or am I a tit :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it law to have them in apartment buildings and such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I think its a legal thing. I'm sick of turning mine off every time I have a shower. If there ever is a fire I'll have the code typed in before the curtains are even singed :D

can you turn them off, and if so how. annoying bastards :mad:

• Advertisement

there shouldn't be an easy way to turn it off, though I imagine it'd depend on the type.

Mine has the code written on it. I didn't disable it permanently in case there was ever to be a fire in another apartment.

mine just looks like a smoke alarm but has no button, place to put a code :confused: there must be a central one for the whole block or something which has the code?

mine just looks like a smoke alarm but has no button, place to put a code :confused: there must be a central one for the whole block or something which has the code?

Yea its the central one I mean.

That reminds me. I meant to ask here if its illegal to remove fire extinguishers from a rented property? They look terrible and one was constantly damaging the door so I keep them in a cupboard in the spare room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Same here,people don't even bother to look out any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yea its the central one I mean.

That reminds me. I meant to ask here if its illegal to remove fire extinguishers from a rented property? They look terrible and one was constantly damaging the door so I keep them in a cupboard in the spare room.
    As far as i know it is illegal to tamper or remove a fire extinguisher,could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

i would say...only if the fire extinguishers...make it fit for habitation.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Some one having a barbie and didn't invite you. . .
    Rotten Ffers. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Eh shouldn't you be getting out of the building if the alarm goes off. I believe leaving your charred corpse for the firemen is never a pleasant experience no matter how many times they see it:(

Brandog wrote: »
    Eh shouldn't you be getting out of the building if the alarm goes off. I believe leaving your charred corpse for the firemen is never a pleasant experience no matter how many times they see it:(

Normally you know when its from your apartment so its safe to turn it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Quick! Look mildly discomforted and stand around to see if anything else does something about it because you're too lazy to panic! Then sit back down, if they don't, and be reasonably assured that no fire has occurred without actually having any evidence to back it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

clean your teeth...........first.....

leggo wrote: »
    Quick! Look mildly discomforted and stand around to see if anything else does something about it because you're too lazy to panic! Then sit back down, if they don't, and be reasonably assured that no fire has occurred without actually having any evidence to back it up!

I went and looked around. it says which appt it is on the board and then I had a look there with my nose. alls clear :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Used to rush out everytime the alarm went off anywhere in the building. Eventually after 15 or 20 late night runs to the street I decided to ignore them - damn students burning toast! Suggest stretching a condom over the sensor if you want to stop the alarm starting in your appt. It works but if your landlord/fire inspector sees it, you'd be in for a big fine.

Also, was the whole Priory Hall thing about the builders not install proper fire alarms in the place. Think that in appt blocks, they are mandatory. Is kinda important because if a fire started a couple of floors below you, by the time you decided that the alarm has been going too long, your means of escape could be blocked off.

Damn! Know the alarms here are going to go off tonight and because of what I just wrote, I'm gonna be one of the first down the stairs.

Feckin students burning toast!! :mad: lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

quick, check the emergency staircase n see if some creepy feckin yoke altogether isn't pullin herself up the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Haha ha haha ha. Is that my phone? Shure if it was a fire id see it and shimmy around it to safty. Same again there Paddy *burp*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Worst feeling in the world setting off your buildings fire alarm at 2 in the morning on a week night!

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Talk to a neighbour about it and get a sense of community going

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Are you in Bray by any chance OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

scared the **** out of me, cue running around the place trying to stop smoke alarms then realising it wasnt them. :confused: being confused while standing on a chair while your ears bleed is not a good situation to be in.

weird, always thought fire alarms were a hall feature, not inside everyones apartment :eek: :mad:

most apartments shouldn't have smoke detectors.... they are supposed to have heat detectors.

As most kitchens in apartments are also part of the living room everytime you cooked something the damn smoke detector would go off... this is not a problem with heat detectors.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Here's my take on it: Sometimes I burn toast. There. That's my god-given right. It happens to the best of us.

If that's enough to set off a feckin piece of crap fire alarm yoke, then I suggest that the piece of crap is not designed properly. Seriously. A fire alarm that goes off every time you burn a slice of friggin toast? WTF???

Just saying.

Advertisement